Unlucky or blessing in disguise.

matt650

CBR650F ABS
Sep 5, 2018
Bedfordshire
Thanks Mike. Hopefully by the time i'm at the stage where it will make a difference i'll be changing them anyway then.

And just to be clear, having been hugely into performance cars, tyres is something i would never skimp on. They are the only thing between you and the road and my word do i want them to work well, irrespective of cost. I do get that some people have to make a compromise, however, which is why these threads are very useful.

Ghost

CBR650R ABS
May 22, 2019
Bristol, UK
From what I've had feedback wise as I spoke to the Honda rep yesterday as I've had a ton of issues with the options on my bike, the CBR650R may start shipping with Pirelli's or Bridgestone's later this year rather then the Dunlops.

I think I've also read a post on these forums or somewhere else that they are changing the tyres as well due to feedback. (also a few bike reviews stated this tyre is a nightmare to warm up and wet weather grip is just not good enough)

I've looked at the reviews for the *Thai* made Dunlop's and the ratings haven't been great but these seem to have more issues in the wet then most tyre ratings. In a hot country I am sure they would be fine. For myself and piece of mind I can happily afford to replace them already especially considering they are probably the single most important thing on the bike other then your brakes, For me on my brand new bike it's simply not worth the risk imho if you can afford to do it.

I won't get near the limits of these tyres or the new ones but again each to there own :)

Johnboy82

CBR650F
Dec 26, 2017
Bedfordshire
I recently picked up a nail on a ride out in my rear ( sounds like that should be in a different forum !!!!) ,
lucky was only around the corner , I live on a "new build development" so I'm surprised I managed to up to 5000 before I picked it up,
I took Brammers @Brammers advice and picked up a set of road 5's - haven't looked back they are great tyres, - I got mine on a good deal from Blackcircules and paid my local Honda dealer ( letchworth ) £40 to fit both - ride in and ride out ( well... back of a transit van in ride away )
Money well spent

Katie

CBR650F ABS
Feb 1, 2019
Tyres are odd things, very personal choice. I had the original Dunlops on (bought the bike with 1000 miles on the clock) and they were either great or terrible. Trouble is, there was never any warning when it was about to shift from one to the other! I found uneven road surface was the worst condition for them but they were a bit '1980s' in the wet.

Anyway, I also picked up a nail last week and had to be trailered home. Despite my distrust of the tyres, they did give 8000 miles service (bloody things wouldn't wear out!) and have now been replaced with BT023s. Not the most exciting tyre in the world but good wet grip and perfect for loads of motorway miles :)

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
have now been replaced with BT023s. Not the most exciting tyre in the world but good wet grip and perfect for loads of motorway miles :)
I did the same thing. The Dunlops lasted almost 12k km for me, although 70% of that is boring 50-80kph commuting.

I never had any real problems with the Dunlops, but I must say the BT023's do give me more confidence.

Desm

CBR650R ABS
Mar 3, 2019
Belgium
Yesterday, after 3 months and 8450km riding on my new CBR650R, I picked up an M6 10cm threaded rod at a speed of 50km/h. I was a bit surprised this was possible, because It has a certain thickness an no sharp point at all ...
I’m starting to believe that those OEM Dunlop d214 tires are weak.
I also noticed a lot of small surface cracks, some of them are bigger and much deeper.
The guy from the roadside assistance told me those cracks are coming from small stones, but the amount of them is remarkable. Do you also have those small cracks?
I have now a (temporary) repair plug. What do you think about those plugs, should I replace the tire ASAP? The profile of the tire looks still good.

43F86820-9A21-4F40-9E11-E39E708DDDD0.jpeg

F1079EF8-2E00-4704-806C-5E30A8824F43.jpeg

710225A9-4319-4329-AD7D-9FFB46ACD604.jpeg

Nithesh

MotoGP
Apr 5, 2014
India
replace tyres... those plugs are only designed to get you to a nearest tyre dealer. Wouldn't commute with that big of a hole in the tyre

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Heck yeah!!! REPLACE!!! That's not a puncture, that's a freakin' RUPTURE!!!!

That's one big-azz bolt through your tire!

As far as I'm concerned, plugged MOTORCYCLE tire is good enough to get you home or to a shop for a new tire. I've heard all the stories of riding 150,000 miles on a plugged tire but not me!
In a car...no problem! You have three other tires to keep you stable enough should the plugged tire go bad on you. On a motorcycle, could cost you your life!

I've had nails through my cycle tires with less than 1,000 miles on them. I know it sucks but open the wallet and get a new tire.

Hottep6153

CB650F ABS
Apr 10, 2019
Germany
Desm @Desm
In your Position i would not fix the Tyre. If it was new, i for sur change the tyre as well.
Like Devilsfan said:"On a motorcycle, could cost you your life!"
But in your case your Tyre wasn´t new. You have used it already 8450km. In my Opinion Time for new Tyres;)

Johnboy82

CBR650F
Dec 26, 2017
Bedfordshire
Simple way to answer is, ask your your wife , mother , father , child , mates whatever, if you should continue to ride on what is essentially a “temporary repair” or bite the bullet and invest in a new set of tyres !
Bet I know the answer .....

IMO 100% replace - I done mine recently and I considered doing a cheap repair or cheap replace , however too many people expressed how those 2 little patches of tyre is all that connects you to the road - surely you want them to be the best they can be ????

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
At 8.5k km replacing the Dunlops isn't even a bad investment. Of course, your mileage may vary, but many people wore through the Dunlops in less than that. I continued riding the for 3,000 km more but I get the impression I'm one of the few to ride 'em for that long.

I do wonder how you managed to keep that red line in such pristine shape after that many km's.

Desm

CBR650R ABS
Mar 3, 2019
Belgium
Like I thought, I have to replace the tire ASAP. Thanks for advice.

The red line is still there because I ride daily 90% on the highway between 70 and 270km (with almost no corners). The other 10% in city center of Brussels.

I think I will go for the Road 5. I understood they have the best overall performance... the longest mileage, best grip in all weather conditions.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I think I will go for the Road 5. I understood they have the best overall performance... the longest mileage, best grip in all weather conditions.
They are supposedly excellent tires, but also quite expensive. I run Bridgestone BT-023's. Less sporty tires but on average offer better mileage when doing lots of long straights (like highways).

Hottep6153

CB650F ABS
Apr 10, 2019
Germany

I ride the Road 5 on my CBR650R now for 1200km and im very happy with them. They work excellent with this Bike.

beneweis

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
The new Angel GT 2 was just released and now there are sweet deals for the first version available.
When tested last November by a German magazine the Angel GT 1 won the comparison despite being the oldest tyre tested.
Also i think it looks super cool, which is a plus. ;)

Top Bottom