• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Tyre pressures and preload.

Mattbluecb650r

CB650R ABS
Oct 29, 2019
Hi all, wondering what tyre pressures everyone is running. I was using the standard pressures but dropped 2 psi in both front and rear and found it better. I've got rosso corsa 2's and I am finding them much better than the stock metzler 01's. Also my preload is still on the stock setting 3, thinking of stiffening it up a bit. What preload settings are people running? TIA.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
CB650FA here. 42/36 psi on the stock Dunlop 222's. I set my shock preload to #2 setting. It was on #3 from the showroom. I found #3 didn't give me enough free sag and was bouncing me around too much. I weigh about 180 lbs. #2 setting improved the handling for me. I ride a lot of mountain roads including fast twisties with some uneven pavement.

Jason Hendry

CBR650F ABS
Oct 25, 2019
UK
Riding Since
Hi Everyone! I recently got a pair of Bridgestone t31's installed on my CBR650F and the mechanic set the tyre PSI to lower than stock (38 rear 32 front, if I remember correctly...) I asked why and his reasoning was the stock PSI was for riding two up. I am relatively new too biking so I took his advice, but the ride feels more "bouncy" than my previous tyres, was riding home last night with some shopping on the back and it was like a pogo stick. Pretty sure I should change the PSI back to stock, but reaching out here first for some advice.

Uncle Meat

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
May 11, 2020
London
Riding Since
I feel bad now as I only check my tyre pressures when I notice their nearly flat.

Last edited:

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
CB650FA here. 42/36 psi on the stock Dunlop 222's. I set my shock preload to #2 setting. It was on #3 from the showroom. I found #3 didn't give me enough free sag and was bouncing me around too much. I weigh about 180 lbs. #2 setting improved the handling for me. I ride a lot of mountain roads including fast twisties with some uneven pavement.
Have you found D222 unreliable?! Everyone is talking bad behind these tires, but I havant had the same experience

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Hi Everyone! I recently got a pair of Bridgestone t31's installed on my CBR650F and the mechanic set the tyre PSI to lower than stock (38 rear 32 front, if I remember correctly...) I asked why and his reasoning was the stock PSI was for riding two up. I am relatively new too biking so I took his advice, but the ride feels more "bouncy" than my previous tyres, was riding home last night with some shopping on the back and it was like a pogo stick. Pretty sure I should change the PSI back to stock, but reaching out here first for some advice.
Your mechanic is wrong - I would set the tyre pressures to stock , whatever that is for your cbr650f. For my cb650f it is 42 rear,36 front.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Your mechanic is wrong - I would set the tyre pressures to stock , whatever that is for your cbr650f. For my cb650f it is 42 rear,36 front.
The term “stock” only applies to the tires that were originally equipped on your bike, once they are changed, it means nothing. His tires have been changed to T31s, he could easily go a bit lower but should see what the manufacturer of the tires recommends.

Having said that, my Ducati is the first sport bike I’ve owned in 20+ years that has recommended anything other than 36psi front/42psi rear and recommends 36/36.

I run 34 front, 36 rear on the OEM Rosso IIIs on the Ducati and run 38 front and 42 rear on the Pilot Road 5s on the Triumph. The 36/42 will work just fine for the T31s.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
The term “stock” only applies to the tires that were originally equipped on your bike, once they are changed, it means nothing. His tires have been changed to T31s, he could easily go a bit lower but should see what the manufacturer of the tires recommends.
I have battlax t31's on my cb650f and Bridgestone recommend 2.5 bar/36 psi front ,2.9 bar/42 psi rear ,the same as the handbook. Haynes manual for the bike states these same figures for all loads ,as does label on swingarm, and doesn't mention anything about changing pressures for different brands of tyres !
I see the cbr650f has the same tyre pressures as the cb650f so I don't see why Jason Hendry's mechanic specified lower pressures.
ps is there also a consideration regarding a possible insurance claim after an accident in running on tyres inflated a lot different from recommended pressures !

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I have battlax t31's on my cb650f and Bridgestone recommend 2.5 bar/36 psi front ,2.9 bar/42 psi rear ,the same as the handbook. Haynes manual for the bike states these same figures for all loads ,as does label on swingarm, and doesn't mention anything about changing pressures for different brands of tyres !
I see the cbr650f has the same tyre pressures as the cb650f so I don't see why Jason Hendry's mechanic specified lower pressures.
ps is there also a consideration regarding a possible insurance claim after an accident in running on tyres inflated a lot different from recommended pressures !
Agree to disagree, then.

I understand what you’re saying but the same stands for your car: the manufacture has zero idea what tires you put on your vehicle after the OEM ones wear out so it can’t be an all encompassing recommendation. They’d have even more insurance issues if they were to specify a pressure with any tire because they'd not know if you have sticky track tires, touring tires or even say bias ply tires. As I stated earlier, 36/42 is a pretty standard recommendation, however.

If you read most owners manuals, or call your dealer, they will tell you the OEM tires for your bike or car as the only true “recommended” tires so putting on T31s, even if the tire manufacturer recommends it, could potentially be a liability if you get technical.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Fun topic. As someone who lived (professionally) through the Ford/Firestone tire debacle, here’s my 2 cents: Manufacturer recommended tire pressure is “recommended” for a few reasons The big ones are the balance/trade-off between handling, heat dissipation, longevity and fuel economy. Brammers @Brammers alluded to it above with higher and lower pressures. Drag racers will lower their tire pressures to get the tire to hook, hyper-milers will raise them to decrease rolling resistance.

Ford got into trouble with the Explorer because the “best” pressures to make that $hitty suspension not ride like a truck were lower than the tire really wanted, and excess heat caused the tread to prematurely separate. They blamed it on Bridgestone/Firestone, which did have some manufacturing issues, but the root cause was a recommended pressure that was artificially low to make the SUV ride more like a sedan so they could sell it to the general public. Notice how almost all SUVs moved away from full frame to unit-body construction after that lawsuit?

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
Have you found D222 unreliable?! Everyone is talking bad behind these tires, but I haven't had the same experience
I haven't found any issues with the 222's. I have about 7,000 km on them. Still life left in them. They seem to hold the road pretty good. Next set will be something else though. I'm sure there are better choices out there. I just ride within their limits and all is good. I do not ride in the rain, so I can't comment on their performance there.

Jason Hendry

CBR650F ABS
Oct 25, 2019
UK
Riding Since
I haven't found any issues with the 222's. I have about 7,000 km on them. Still life left in them. They seem to hold the road pretty good. Next set will be something else though. I'm sure there are better choices out there. I just ride within their limits and all is good. I do not ride in the rain, so I can't comment on their performance there.

My reasoning for moving to T31's was because of wet weather conditions, I could feel the back tyre slipping so easily in the wet it made me cringe and not being confident on the bike is likely to cause more issues than the tyres themselves (IMHO). Will be changing the tyre pressure back to stock and will gauge the ride from there...

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
As a matter of interest (and not trying to be argumentative, I just think ,particularly on a motorbike ,it could be dangerous riding on under inflated tyres ) but has anybody seen a tyre manufacturer recommend pressures any different from those given by Honda for the CB650 . From what I have seen Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop all give the same figures for their tyres recommended for the bike.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I wouldn’t consider anything above 30psi to be “under inflated”. If you go to a track day first thing they’ll have you do is air down to the 30-32 psi range front and 34-36 psi rear (or even lower if it’s cold, I’ve run 28 front and rear at a very cold track day once) on the rear.

You will struggle to find anyone suggesting anything other than stock pressures on a public website, however if you talk to them directly about the tires model and their optimum range, they’ll often say lower than the “normal” 36/42 for the tire itself.

Absolutely no reason not to run 36/42 if you feel you want to. However playing around with pressure can lead to better handling, better wear, and better tire performance. I have a buddy who rides a 600RR and ALWAYS runs 36/42 no matter what and is happy. I will play with mine depending on application, teo up or single tinder, air temperature and environment and am happy. Might even be happier :)

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I wouldn’t consider anything above 30psi to be “under inflated”. If you go to a track day first thing they’ll have you do is air down to the 30-32 psi range front and 34-36 psi rear (or even lower if it’s cold, I’ve run 28 front and rear at a very cold track day once) on the rear.

You will struggle to find anyone suggesting anything other than stock pressures on a public website, however if you talk to them directly about the tires model and their optimum range, they’ll often say lower than the “normal” 36/42 for the tire itself.

Absolutely no reason not to run 36/42 if you feel you want to. However playing around with pressure can lead to better handling, better wear, and better tire performance. I have a buddy who rides a 600RR and ALWAYS runs 36/42 no matter what and is happy. I will play with mine depending on application, teo up or single tinder, air temperature and environment and am happy. Might even be happier :)
The discrepancies in readings between the gauge on my Michelin tyre pump and my digital tyre pressure gauge shouldn't matter too much then ! :)

Jason Hendry

CBR650F ABS
Oct 25, 2019
UK
Riding Since
My reasoning for moving to T31's was because of wet weather conditions, I could feel the back tyre slipping so easily in the wet it made me cringe and not being confident on the bike is likely to cause more issues than the tyres themselves (IMHO). Will be changing the tyre pressure back to stock and will gauge the ride from there...

Changed it back to stock but its admittedly less smooth than before (roads in my area are not of the best quality). So I want to reduce the PSI a bit, my question is do I need to do the front and back the same (IE. if I go down 2-PSI on the back do I need to do the same on the front?), is there a ratio I need to maintain?

[edit] By less smooth I mean I am now feeling every bump in the road, the performance of the bike (IE. acceleration/flick-ability) is better...

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Changed it back to stock but its admittedly less smooth than before (roads in my area are not of the best quality). So I want to reduce the PSI a bit, my question is do I need to do the front and back the same (IE. if I go down 2-PSI on the back do I need to do the same on the front?), is there a ratio I need to maintain?
Nope

Top Bottom