• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Ticking noise..

Satilla

CB650R ABS
Feb 17, 2020
Ok.. just got done with a 30 minute ride. I notice while halfway home that my coolant temp is one bar past the mid level. I get home and there is a ticking sound coming from the bike. In intervals of every 3 or so seconds. Stopped ticking after about a minute and a half. I've babied the hell out of this bike and I still only have 130 miles on it. Today was the first and only time I actually got into the power band and went over 6k RPM. Just a couple of 2nd and 3rd gear pulls on the way home. I’m not doomed am I?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Not at all, EVERYTHING you mentioned is normal.

- The 650R runs slightly hot, one bar over halfway is normal from info I’ve seen around here.

- The ticking noise is simply expansion and contraction as the bike cools off, again, normal.

My advice? Stop babying it and ride, it’ll be just fine and will break in nicely with a little load on it. Re-read your owners manual, nowhere in the break in procedure does it say baby it.

Satilla

CB650R ABS
Feb 17, 2020
Thanks dude. I ran a quick google search and read some scary shit so I had to ask on here to be sure lol

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
Thanks dude. I ran a quick google search and read some scary shit so I had to ask on here to be sure lol
That's the problem with Googling everything. You hear one unfamiliar sound from your new bike and after a 30 minute Google session the diagnosis is terminal and you should have it scrapped 😂. Slight exaggeration but you get the idea.

As above - it's just cooling down.

Top Bottom