• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

throttle adjustment

GJP

CB650R ABS
Apr 25, 2019
Hi guys, (if this is in the wrong section apologies)

I understand manufacturers struggle to meet EEC regs, but my 650R is awful on the throttle, its very on/off and I find myself short shifting at low speeds to negate the jerkiness. I note some members refer to adjusting the throttle, is there a thread for this or can some one point me in the right direction/provide the guidance. (PS not had first service yet)

Other than that the bike is awesome, this is my 3rd CB (had a CB50J and a CB200 years ago) and can see me getting another in a few years.

thanks in advance.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi guys, (if this is in the wrong section apologies)

I understand manufacturers struggle to meet EEC regs, but my 650R is awful on the throttle, its very on/off and I find myself short shifting at low speeds to negate the jerkiness. I note some members refer to adjusting the throttle, is there a thread for this or can some one point me in the right direction/provide the guidance. (PS not had first service yet)

Other than that the bike is awesome, this is my 3rd CB (had a CB50J and a CB200 years ago) and can see me getting another in a few years.

thanks in advance.
Here’s a thread called how tos:

https://650f.bike/threads/how-to-sticky.7/

Third video down shows you what to do. Basically you can run it with as little free play as you want provided the throttle isn’t being applied when you swing the handlebars to the far left or far right. I run just enough slack so that doesn’t happen, maybe 2 mm or so freeplay.

Unfortunately there isn’t going to be a one-stop fix for this issue and with an FI system and short throw throttle you’ll always have at least some jerkiness on the very small throttle positions so my best suggestion is adjust the throttle free play and learn to live with it as best as you can. Removing the PAIR valve and adding a PCV can help, but the effectiveness can vary.

Post back if you need more guidance.

Reactions: GJP

GJP

CB650R ABS
Apr 25, 2019
many thanks for a quick response Mike, will do this weekend, I much prefer a video to written instructions.

given the bike is so new I don't want to mess with the engine, I have already changed the front and rear end and removed the rear pegs ;-)

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
Free throttle play was a major problem riding my bike when new. When riding around corners where precise small throttle movement was needed, impossible. I opened the throttle to feed on a little power, nothing, a bit more, nothing, then started going to too slow for balance, open the throttle a bit more and POW took off like a 1st time rider on a motorcross bike.
Changing down through the gears was not nice, blipping the throttle was again impossible and crunchy gears changes ensued.
The throttle free play was about 6mm from the factory/dealer and I gradually adjusted it to about 1.5mm measured on the grip flange and all is good.
I adjusted mine with the cable coming out of the throttle under the rubber sleeve. Took up a lot of slack 1st off then a bit at a time so as not to give myself any surprises and preserve safety.

GJP

CB650R ABS
Apr 25, 2019
Cheers 58, I know what you mean about the motocross rider thing, they are like a scalded cat for acceleration. :)

cbr650r1234

CBR650R ABS
Apr 30, 2019
I had this on mine, recent service I explained to the mechanic and he adjusted the chain and throttle play. Seems to be much more responsive now and with the added benefit I dont get the 'jerkiness' with the throttle, feels much more direct input now. So would go with suggestions above on adjusting throttle input.

Top Bottom