The Superbiker

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube (again) this morning and ended up stumbling on some flat track races from the mid 80’s which reminded me of the Superbikers race series on Wide World of Sports I watched when I was a kid. This was the predecessor of Supermoto, and honestly I feel like a far superior product to what supermoto morphed into here which for the most part was dirt bikes on street tires riding on pavement tracks or flat, dirt ovals. For those too young to remember, or not from the US, it was a complete motorcycle event/series including jumps, dirt track and pavement sections and brought all styles of bikes on the same track in the early years before they settled on the specific bikes they used at the end run by the best off road, road and flat track riders of the day.

For whatever reason, probably because I was like 10, I was a huge fan of Danny “Magoo” Chandler. Couldn’t tell you anything about him other than he was great at this series, though as a Honda guy I liked Steve Wise as well. A few years ago I took a trip to California with my wife and we drove through the places I remember hearing about as a kid thinking they were mythical: Elsinore, Ensanada, Carlsbad to name a few. Brought back great memories as a kid on my Z50 and later XL80 riding around, acting like I was a real racer.

Do yourself a favor and search the series to check out some awesome racing on very cool machinery; I searchered “Superbikers Wide World of Sports” and came up with a bunch of videos and other stuff related to the events.

Here’s a link to sort of an “overview” of the series in ‘86 but know the earlier 80’s races were better when it was a dirt tracker vs. a motocrosser vs. a road racer on a dirt bike:

Last edited:
Top Bottom