• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Tank decals on Matte Black, remove?

beefsupreme82

CBR650F ABS
Nov 4, 2018
I did it again,

Thought it would look cool to remove the tank decals on my matte 650 and didn't realize that i was making a big mistake. It came off fine, but I noticed that the matte finish is actually raised and now there is a low, non-matte, sticker shaped hole on the tank. It looks so stupid. I just wanted to switch the wing from light grey to red. Hopefully I find a sticker that is a perfect fit and won't look dumb. Anyone else dealt with this or have any advise other than replacing the tank?

Nick_McK

CBR650F
Jun 1, 2018
Woodstock, Ga
Riding Since
This actually happened to me and scared me a bit. Luckily I have a vinyl cutter and was able to cut out a red decal to cover it up. It took me a couple of try before getting it perfect. I had to cut out a matte black/grey Honda wing in the exact shape and then I put the red decal on top. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• Cbr650f Decal.jpeg
    Cbr650f Decal.jpeg
    794.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Cbr650f.jpeg
    Cbr650f.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
OH SWEET GOD YES! I made that same mistake and regretted it hardcore. Unlike most however l bought OEM stickers which cost $50 a pop from my dealership and they installed them horribly and the clear coat on the sticker was bubbling and pealed eventually. They aren't lined up properly and look bad but its better than the alternative with no stickers. I hope someone finds a nice fix to this but l think Nick_McK @Nick_McK tactic worked well and looks great.

Nick_McK

CBR650F
Jun 1, 2018
Woodstock, Ga
Riding Since
If you haven’t found a solution yet, I could see if i still have the dimensions for my Honda decal wing that I cut out. If I still have the dimensions I would be more than happy to print them out with my vinyl cutter. I could sell it to you for cheap on my Etsy page. Just let me know!

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
If you haven’t found a solution yet, I could see if i still have the dimensions for my Honda decal wing that I cut out. If I still have the dimensions I would be more than happy to print them out with my vinyl cutter. I could sell it to you for cheap on my Etsy page. Just let me know!

Would love if you could check for me! I may or may not buy it but l am planning on trading up to a CBR650R so maybe it will be good to have a pair of stickers on the tank for value.

emudshit

CBR650R ABS
May 27, 2019
I did the same on my cbr650r now regretting it, does anyone have a replacement sticker that's black and gold ?

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
I made the same mistake removing the laquered stickers on my Royal Enfield side panels. The solution I employed was to rub down the laquer so the step was removed. It took ages and lots of care however it worked. Then use a rattle can of matt or satin laquer to recoat, 1st the offending area and then a couple of light coats over the whole area (tank). What ever else you do the surface has to be smooth where the sticker was and that will involve rubbing down. If you find a bigger sticker the step will show through and continue to annoy.

Joe_jordan87

CBR650R ABS
May 6, 2019
Gold Coast, Australia
Wow little late for me I did same to my bike back in 2018. I posted about taking all stickers off. It looks good except for the tank. You wouldn't happen to have demensions or just sale a set, i'd day buy.

TomMatt101

CB650R
Nov 24, 2021
Riding Since
Does anyone have the file for the stickers? Messaged Nick_McK @Nick_McK but haven’t had an answer yet. Got a very shitty looking tank that I’d love to cover up.

Top Bottom