• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Fs Suspension differences between F models 16-18?

Miliano

CBR650F
Oct 9, 2020
Riding Since
Looking to upgrade the suspension, both front and rear on my 2016, but all I can find available is Ohlins FKS 223 for 17-18 models.
I would think there isnt any difference, but does anyone know for sure?

victorkkq

CBR650F
Oct 30, 2018
A search on Ohlins website indicates 2014-2016 models is FKS 210. My advice is to write to Ohlins to confirm this.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Looking to upgrade the suspension, both front and rear on my 2016, but all I can find available is Ohlins FKS 223 for 17-18 models.
I would think there isnt any difference, but does anyone know for sure?
I’m sure baugustine @baugustine will come through with proper keywords for linking you to the threads on this discussion but the forks changed in the ‘17-‘18 model year to a Showa Dual Bending Valve system which in essence gives you a fork with an OEM “Race Tech Gold Valve” style rebound/compression valve inside of it. Most people that have ridden both bikes, as well as those that have used Showa DBV forks say it’s a very minimal effect and the Race Tech Valves work much better. Link to the specs on the system:

As far as your question is concerned, there is a specific kit for the 14-16 and one for the 17-18 bikes, what the differences are I don’t 100% know. The Ohlins FSK fork kits are very simple and consist of 7.5kg fork springs, precut spacers, adustable preload fork caps and specs for their oil you need to use (but not the oil itself, you have to order that separately and their numbers do not cross directly to weight so an Ohlins #20 oil is not the same as 20w Showa oil, BTW). Some say they are overpriced for what they are but as someone who’s last two bike and current bike have full Ohlins forks and shocks on them, they made a great upgrade to the bike, far more than I’d think they would have.

If you contact Ohlins, at least Ohlins USA, while they may not carry the FSK “kit” anymore they’ll usually work with you on the parts to make it. Otherwise get fork springs from anywhere that sells them for the 41mm Showa open bath forks (SV650, Triumph Bonneville line, older FZ6R are a few of them), spacer material from the same place to cut to the proper length (the springs will have those instructions) and I did a write up years ago about using OEM Honda CB1100 preload adjustable fork caps, buy the $25 Ohlins oil and you’re done for around $200 US.

Or search around like eBay or race shops and find someone who install the fork cartridge from older F4i, GSXRs and other Showa equipped bikes from the early 2000s to SV650 and FZ-07 race bike forks, or Andrenni and Matris sell separate drop in kits as well for the $600 or so range and have REALLY good forks you can sell when you sell the bike.

The Ohlins FKS kits that were linked, the NIX cartridge kits, are awesome but much more expensive. Again, call or email Ohlins, they can help you and will sell you everything direct at the same cost as a vender; they set the prices no matter where you get them unless you are a racer.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
click one of the tags above next to your title and you'll get the other threads on the topic. Several of us documented the Ohlins upgrade back in 2017. Big change to the behavior of the front forks.

another option is do a keyword search OHLINS and you'll get a ton of articles to read.

Miliano

CBR650F
Oct 9, 2020
Riding Since
dont know how you found this. fsk210 doesnt exist in my search results, even if I search fsk 210 on ohlins website. thanks for the find anyway. greatly appreciated.
A search on Ohlins website indicates 2014-2016 models is FKS 210. My advice is to write to Ohlins to confirm this.

Top Bottom