• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Sump Plug

Rossco

CB650R ABS
Mar 10, 2022
Riding Since
Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I could get a magnetic sump plug for my 650R? or know the tread/size details so I could find a universal one?

Thanks

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello.

May I ask why you feal you need one?
You should give metal particles the opportunity to stay in the oil and being catched by the oil filter.
That is the best way to handle and eliminate the metal particles inside this engine.
I only find this approach useful in gearboxes where you don´t have pumping and filtration.

Rossco

CB650R ABS
Mar 10, 2022
Riding Since
I'm going a oil/filter change and whilst I don't suspect a problem & agree fully the filter should do the job, for the expense I think its a nice 'just in case' to have.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
I'm going a oil/filter change and whilst I don't suspect a problem & agree fully the filter should do the job, for the expense I think its a nice 'just in case' to have.
Relax. That is not necessary. If it was necessary Honda would had installed one.
Use a quality OEM filter and good oil. By good I mean anyone who respects the viscosity and spec requirements (10W30; JASO MA/MA2)

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
It's M12x15mm, 1.5mm pitch. If you do buy, don't buy cheaply, I had one which looked to be made of mild steel and it sheared when tourquing it a few weeks ago, so I've bought a titanium one now. They do grab some debris, bit very little. See here.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
It's M12x15mm, 1.5mm pitch. If you do buy, don't buy cheaply, I had one which looked to be made of mild steel and it sheared when tourquing it a few weeks ago, so I've bought a titanium one now. They do grab some debris, bit very little. See here.
See what I mean?! You had no problems and got into problems unnecessarily.
Nothing is that simple as it looks.
Titanium bolt on the sump! Why?! That is so over engineered and unnecessary!
Titanium bolts are prone to seize in aluminium. Thankfully it will not happen because thread will always be covered in engine oil, but even like that, I wouldn´t bet.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
You're right, quick fix though and a lesson learnt. I wouldn't say it's over engineered, it's the same bolt just a different and more expensive material. Without delving into a rabbit hole of whether a magnetic sump plug is more beneficial than a standard plug, I prefer to use one knowing that ferrous material has been caught and is not allowed to recirculate. I will continue to use one on my bikes that's for sure.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
You're right, quick fix though and a lesson learnt. I wouldn't say it's over engineered, it's the same bolt just a different and more expensive material. Without delving into a rabbit hole of whether a magnetic sump plug is more beneficial than a standard plug, I prefer to use one knowing that ferrous material has been caught and is not allowed to recirculate. I will continue to use one on my bikes that's for sure.
If you are using an expensive material unnecessarily, that brings no technical benefit but an increased cost, that is clearly over engineered ;-)
Particles will not "recirculate", they will be retained by the filter at the first time they get through its media. All the oil going through the pump outlet will immediately go to the oil filter, before being delivered anywhere in the engine.
Quality oil filter is "hundred times" more effective in trapping particles that any magnet.

Last edited:

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
But there are technical benefits. It attracts ferrous contaminants reducing the likelihood of recirculation, is more durable and lighter than the standard sump plug. Whether it is necessary is debatable, however it is not an over engineered item by your own definition. You're naive if you're assuming the oil filter will trap every particle of ferrous contaminant, some are simply too small.

Let's agree to disagree on certain aspects of this, I prefer to use one and it seems like you don't and there is nothing wrong with that. Life would be boring if everyone agreed all the time.

Last edited:

Rossco

CB650R ABS
Mar 10, 2022
Riding Since
There will always be an argument for and against - I've always used them on my cars, I'd like to use them on my bikes too.
For me its the extra bit of protection considering they are cheap enough, the oil is shared with the gearbox and the sort of rpm's the bike does - I'll use it as another layer of protection for the engine, combined with a good quality filter and oil - every little helps.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Quality oil filter is "hundred times" more effective in trapping particles that any magnet.
100%! the particles that are "caught" by a magnet are just stopped before the oil filter that would do the same or better. On the CBR650 it isn't not a concern, but on older engines these magnets could catch so much debris that when it finally broke free it ended up clogging the filters and other passages. I'll pass and trust that Honda engineers know a thing or two about modern engine design. After all Honda engines routinely run hundreds of thousands of miles through all kinds of abuse.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
A big thing a magnetic oil plug can tell you is if you are having issues that need to be watched rather than having to cut open your oil filter every change to know anything which isn’t always fun or easy. And if you do have an issue big enough that the filter gets plugged, or the oil filter bypass fails and, well, bypasses the filter, you’ll also know you have something telling you there’s something wrong and catching big stuff. More a warning than an additional filter.

It’s really not harming anything so if you want to do it, you should do it. If you don’t, well, don’t.

I personally run them in my minimotos with the spinner oil filter and my dirt bikes with the tiny oil filter. I’ve also had them in street bikes from the factory so while Honda doesn’t use them, others do.

Top Bottom