• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Stuck fairing screw! How to remove it?

godoy.rafa

CBR650F ABS
Jul 22, 2019
Im trying to remove my fairing to replace the air filter, but one of the screws (below left clip on) is stuck and I can't remove it... It's getting worn out, so the allen tool cant grip it anymore...
Do you now how can I remove it? Any special techiques?

godoy.rafa

CBR650F ABS
Jul 22, 2019
An oversize torx (that you don't want to use again)

Or use a saw and slit it for a flat blade screwdriver.

Or try a rubber band over the end of an Allen key/hex driver.
Rubber Band didn't work, I'll try the other options. Thanks!

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Rubber Band didn't work, I'll try the other options. Thanks!
use WD-40 and let it soak for 5 mins. and try whatever you have tried so far. next option is to use a screw extractor and as your last resort, drill it out with one size bigger bid

Last edited:

ghehen

CBR650F ABS
Jun 27, 2019
Vietnam
fist, use a small hammer and hit the screw. The vibration of the impact will help you easier to remove it ( do not hit it too hard). If the hex head it's round do what Brammers said to remove the screw. Next time if you feel hard to unscrew remember give it a punch to the face by a hammer. I did it and have a great result despite of my screw have thread locker on it

godoy.rafa

CBR650F ABS
Jul 22, 2019
I tried the hammer, no success. I think the screw rusted and that's why it's so gard to remove it... I soaked with WD-40, but I don't know if it's penetrating.

I will thy the saw and then a flat screwdriver.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Im trying to remove my fairing to replace the air filter, but one of the screws (below left clip on) is stuck and I can't remove it... It's getting worn out, so the allen tool cant grip it anymore...
Do you now how can I remove it? Any special techiques?
Can you post a pic of the exact one? Most go into a rubber expander plug, you may just be able to tear it out.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
a dremel with a cutoff wheel, a careful, delicate surgical procedure creating a precise, tight slot for a flatblade screwdriver to remove

replacing with the OEM bolt then using a correct sized allen T or socket and avoiding any future, unnecessary overtightening.

i deal with this on a routine basis on carburetor bowl and top screws.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
This is the damn screw View attachment 5881
Man, I had the same problem on my back fender. Had to drill it out. One trick you can do is to pull the faring towards your self to create an upward force and then unscrew it. if didnt work, use a small drill bit to make a hole in the middle and then use a bigger bid to take it out (counter clock-wise).
BTW do you have screw extractor by any chance?

godoy.rafa

CBR650F ABS
Jul 22, 2019
Man, I had the same problem on my back fender. Had to drill it out. One trick you can do is to pull the faring towards your self to create an upward force and then unscrew it. if didnt work, use a small drill bit to make a hole in the middle and then use a bigger bid to take it out (counter clock-wise).
BTW do you have screw extractor by any chance?
I don't have this kit... Will have to order one.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I don't have this kit... Will have to order one.
In the US that piece of bodywork is a $33 part. Decide how much its worth it not to just break the part and replace it.

Last edited:

godoy.rafa

CBR650F ABS
Jul 22, 2019
In the UK, you remove the bolt at all costs - about $110 for that bit of plastic over here. :(
Same here in Brazil - even more expensive.

I'm trying to remove this so that I can replace the air filter.
Can I do it without removing this?

Top Bottom