• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Stuck fairing screw! How to remove it?

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Why can't you accomplish this from what everyone has suggested??? It should not be that difficult! I know it's a pain to get a shaved screw out but it shouldn't take that long if you follow the above advices!

godoy.rafa

CBR650F ABS
Jul 22, 2019
Why can't you accomplish this from what everyone has suggested??? It should not be that difficult! I know it's a pain to get a shaved screw out but it shouldn't take that long if you follow the above advices!
1. Rubber band didn't work
2. Hammer didn't work
3. WD soak didn't work
4. Saw the screw head and use a blade screwdriver didn't work
5. Can't buy tools because stores are all closed - will wait until they're opened
6. Fairings are very expensive in Brazil, can't break the plastic and buy a new one

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
1. Rubber band didn't work
2. Hammer didn't work
3. WD soak didn't work
4. Saw the screw head and use a blade screwdriver didn't work
5. Can't buy tools because stores are all closed - will wait until they're opened
6. Fairings are very expensive in Brazil, can't break the plastic and buy a new one

Then I'd try to get something UNDER the fairing to press against the other side of that screw, if it's sticking out. Like I said, I know these things can be difficult but I wouldn't think you'd have this much trouble.

Good luck with whatever is next.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
At this point before compromising the fairing, I'd suggest getting the bike to someone with tools and knowledge required to repair without creating peripheral damage.

45+ year old carburetors from a 1973 Honda 750, stripped threads at bowl location....pic...after drilling oversize...here I'm re-tapping thread to enable permanent repair. NO MISTAKES allowed on a repair of this nature....carbs since completed and ready for service. Beyond damage repair, I cleaned circuits, replaced ancient tuning, + float components.

The carb owner fully put his trust in me, knowing I'd not screw up.

My point? Get experienced hands on your repair!

jfer7.jpg

Last edited:

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
ducatiman @ducatiman Your point is well directed here. There are a few tools that are requirements if you are going to work on engines/vehicles that go beyond the original engineering requirements and the usual sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. My Top 5 list is as follows for cars, trucks, boats and motorcycles:

* Tap/dye set (metric and SAE)
* Screw Extractor Set
* Mini torch (butane)
* Telescopic magnet
* hook/pick set

Thanks for sharing that carb pic. I try to block those days out after working on EEC3 at a Ford dealer in Oswego, NY!

EDIT: Adding a Dremel with various bits to this list...

Last edited:

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Fantastic. Now to replaced and assure the hex does not "round" yet again...some *realistic* self introspection required to prevent re occurrence.

So precisely where did you go wrong to begin with? Wrong size allen tool? Sloppy method? Unnecessary overtorque?

Correction all part of the learning process.....

I'm currently working on a '96 Honda ST1100 ...identical fairing screws all over this thing. My VFR too, same exact hardware.

godoy.rafa

CBR650F ABS
Jul 22, 2019
Fantastic. Now to replaced and assure the hex does not "round" yet again...some *realistic* self introspection required to prevent re occurrence.

So precisely where did you go wrong to begin with? Wrong size allen tool? Sloppy method? Unnecessary overtorque?

Correction all part of the learning process.....

I'm currently working on a '96 Honda ST1100 ...identical fairing screws all over this thing. My VFR too, same exact hardware.
Bought the bike 2nd hand... Maybe the previous owner overtightened it! Or, the bolt was never removed and the rust did the job (2015 bike).

Top Bottom