Welcome back - please login below. New here? It's quick & easy to register!

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Canada Meet Up - Yonge & Wedgewood - August 18th. Discussion/Info here.

CBR650F Spool adapters

miweber929

CBR
Mod
I found these online which are a lot cheaper than the R &G ones but look similar. Has anyone tried these?
What are you trying to do with the spools? If it’s for storage then that style will work. But if it’s maintenance, like replacing tires, adjusting your chain, etc., they won’t do anything because the plates fall out once you loosen and remove the axle.

As long as you know that going in, I’d say those in this link should be just fine.

I asked earlier, but who sells the red style you linked above? I can’t remember the company name but I looked into those at one point because you can remove the wheel and adjust the chain (carefully) with that design. I may finally break down and buy some.

So for those wondering about those red ones above, I did happen to come across some very similar to it on eBay. The brand is Mad Moto and they only appear to be available for the CBR250R, CBR300R, and the CB500F and probably the CBR500R. If anyone knows more about the compatibility of those bikes versus ours that would be great. They only appear to be $40 USD with free shipping. Not sure if this will be of use to anyone but might as well share my findings.

bobstrax

CB ABS
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

These work well if you want a quick off the stand

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

These work well if you want to use them as combined bobbins/sliders
Forgot to say they'll both require the machined bracket aka the R&G one, which you can buy separately. Personally haven't used bobbins for last few years as they only really allow you to do basic maintenance on the back end.
Invest in a centre stand and you get it all in one hit.....I believe the guys on here recommend the Abba one

BamaCBR

CBR
ZXqJAvQgQn+56drwHZb0hA.jpg sdHgzu5nRfib1OeWi1aACQ.jpg Fq6XFlDwS%mxPpwcAH37rA.jpg
In my opinion if you are getting spools for a paddock stand you would get the T Rex ones, because you can actually perform maintenance, also it's big enough to be a solid slider for the rear.

I just installed those and the rear sprocket lugs were hitting the inner bracket. I had to cut .25 inch wide strip from the aft edge of the inner bracket to gain 1/8 inch clearance. I am still worried that it could slip over time and cause interference. It is nice to be able to have the stability of spools but the design lacks attention to detail.

Somchai

CBR ABS
Yes, that's the perfect solution, but a bit pricey.

I've a cheap rear stand with paddles and did not have any stability issues on my bikes so far.
Also bought a triple tree stand for the front. Still rock solid when both are used on the bike.

Jerry

CBR ABS
What's the problem with a stand with pads like this?

Is use it (not that particular stand, but same idea) and it's rock solid as far as I can tell.
Don't use it for storage though, only for maintenance.

miweber929

CBR
Mod
There’s nothing wrong with a pad stand, they work fine.

F @fpgt95 , if you are hitting the sprocket nuts, you installed them incorrectly. They are VERY picky as to where they go, how they attach and where and weirdly enough the correct spot isn’t the tightest on the swing arm which is why I pulled them off my bike.

Not saying it won’t work but unless T-Rex started shipping them with wrong hardware, I doubt they did but who knows, it’s in the wrong spot. There was a ton of talk about this on the “old” site when the bike was new and these first came out, everyone who had the bolt hit the sprocket had installation issues.

BamaCBR’s pics show where to install pretty well.

I just installed those and the rear sprocket lugs were hitting the inner bracket. I had to cut .25 inch wide strip from the aft edge of the inner bracket to gain 1/8 inch clearance. I am still worried that it could slip over time and cause interference. It is nice to be able to have the stability of spools but the design lacks attention to detail.
View attachment 1275 Thankfully I didn't have that issue, but I was paying close attention to how far I did tighten the bolt as it is close. aSKRXW2kTdeR%r0RRQLuvg.jpg