• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Speed and smoothness

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
Today I rode from San Diego, CA to Bakersfield, CA to visit a friend. I took a more inland route bypassing most of the Los Angeles area. My route took me across the Mojave Desert. Parts of the route were quite empty and had good roads. Well... Wanted to see how fast I could go. Found out I could go 120 mph and still had more left. Quickly dropped back to more normal speeds. It was a whole lot smoother at 120 than I had imagined it would be. Never gone that fast before either. 110 was my maximum before. Bike is all stock as well with about 1800 miles on it.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I took the “Advanced 1” class yesterday from Total Control a long with my neighbor and his Triumph Bobber. The rest of the class attendees were a mix of Harleys, Triumphs and a BMW GS1200. I was the only one under a Liter and the only 4 cylinder in the group. After an afternoon of riding, for some bizarre reason, my CBR became the focus of attention by almost all of them (except my neighbor who sees it all the time).

Comments included: “wow, this is a really cool bike”; “that thing was so quiet”; “I felt like I was following MotoGP on the course”; “I can’t believe how light and agile it is”...

I was very clear to them that it is NOT a CBR600RR, but a very competent, all-around street bike, especially with the Ohlins suspension upgrades. A real upgraded front fork system would be nice, but...as a daily rider it is easy to live with, dependable, reliable and fun to ride.

One of the guys in my group had a Triumph Daytona and ended up trading it for a Scrambler just because of a crazy commute from Santa Barbara to Irvine and his back crying uncle. Moral of the story is you don’t need a SuperSport bike to have fun and still have some $ left over for mods to personalize your ride.

The Earle

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2019
How far was the ride?

I’m finding this bike so silky smooth compared to my Versys. However much above 90 it starts getting windy, very windy.
It’s natural speed limiting so not always a bad thing.

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
How far was the ride?

I’m finding this bike so silky smooth compared to my Versys. However much above 90 it starts getting windy, very windy.
It’s natural speed limiting so not always a bad thing.

The ride, that day, was about 250 miles. My extra fast section was only a few seconds. There wasn't that much wind at that speed either, less than at lower speeds. I was also wearing my leathers with an aero hump. Makes a difference when fully tucked.

Top Bottom