• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F Slippy clutch???

Greg o hagan

CB650F ABS
2014 650f. New clutch 4 months ago, new springs last week - - this was to cure a slipping clutch.. Doesn't slip all the time, maybe 2 out of 10 times iam out.. Between half and 3/4 rev on near full throttle you can feel and hear the revs go up and down slightly. What's going on?? Clutch basket like new! Fresh oil too.... Its doing my head in, help

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
2014 650f. New clutch 4 months ago, new springs last week - - this was to cure a slipping clutch.. Doesn't slip all the time, maybe 2 out of 10 times iam out.. Between half and 3/4 rev on near full throttle you can feel and hear the revs go up and down slightly. What's going on?? Clutch basket like new! Fresh oil too.... Its doing my head in, help
How much free play do you have in your clutch lever? If it’s not at least a few mm you can get those symptoms as well. Read your owners manual for instructions and settings.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York

During your clutch repairs:
were friction and metal plates replaced? Or just friction?
was basket removed (nut loosened)?
Judder springs reinstalled correctly?

And as miweber929 @miweber929 has suggested....adequate freeplay is critical.

Greg o hagan

CB650F ABS
Just friction plates. The machanic that did the clutch plates said re would have replaced them if they were worn or burnt looking. I took his word for it... But still slipped, so I put ebc springs in at xmas with fresh oil..

Greg o hagan

CB650F ABS
Need more details...

How many miles? Was the bike damaged/dropped? When's the last oil change? What type of oil? etc...
16,500 mile on the bike.. The bike is A1, seems in real good cond.. New friction plates 3 months ago, new ebc springs at xmas.. All good motul oil without any 'moly'... 3-4 mm slack at lever.. Can't figure it out mate

Greg o hagan

CB650F ABS
How much free play do you have in your clutch lever? If it’s not at least a few mm you can get those symptoms as well. Read your owners manual for instructions and settings.
I will give it more slack at the lever but I wouldn't hold much faith in it.. It has 3or 4 mm of play.. New friction plates, new ebc springs and new motul oil (no moly). Sometimes the slip is there, sometimes not!! But it's annoying and not right

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
For your consideration I offer a Ducati dry clutch standard trick....roughen up the surfaces of the metal plates, both sides, using your choice of wirebrush, crocus....not scientific, just enough to break any shiny glaze and offer the frictions a little something to bite on. Obviously requires clutch breakdown and plate removal.

If I remember correctly , last I did this I believe I used a dremel mounted brush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom