• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Slipping clutch

Foslanden

CB650R ABS
Aug 6, 2020
Riding Since
Hey, had my bike in for first time service afew weeks ago at 1200km. It now has 2000km on it.
Yesterday i noticed the clutch started slipping when giving WOT, at around 8k rpm the rpm just keeps going.
So i wonder what could be the cause of this. I doubt the clutch is already worn out after just 2000km.
If the dealer put some cheap oil on it would it take 800km of driving before the clutch to start slipping?

ray

CBR650R ABS
Aug 30, 2019
Riding Since
Shouldnt this be something that they would check during a first time service?
Yes, but to be honest you should have noticed it your self, don't trust a shop to find every problem in time, it may be to late by the time you get there, some things should be checked every other ride free play being one of them it will become a second nature and you will do it without even noticing, hope that's all that was wrong and have fun :)

Foslanden

CB650R ABS
Aug 6, 2020
Riding Since
Yes, but to be honest you should have noticed it your self, don't trust a shop to find every problem in time, it may be to late by the time you get there, some things should be checked every other ride free play being one of them it will become a second nature and you will do it without even noticing, hope that's all that was wrong and have fun :)
I know, im new to this whole bike world so some things like this gets overlooked and forgotten.
But i could have sworn there was like maybe around 10mm freeplay just 2-3 weeks ago, does it change that quickly?
I have adjusted it now and will test it out once the weather gets better :)

Foslanden

CB650R ABS
Aug 6, 2020
Riding Since
There should be a minimum of 19mm freeplay measured at the tip of the lever.
Not to be difficult just wondering what is point of that much freeplay? Wouldnt 5mm be enough in theory to do the job? Or even 1mm? 😅

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Shouldnt this be something that they would check during a first time service?

They should have, and my guess is they over adjusted it which is why I said don't go back. Any shop that can't figure that out is to be avoided.

But i could have sworn there was like maybe around 10mm freeplay just 2-3 weeks ago, does it change that quickly?

99.95% of the time it gets looser and not tighter. Pretty sure the shop mis-adjusted it.

Allows for changes in slack on full steering lock as the cable path changes length left to right

^^^^This.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I feel like the setup on this bike makes for the tendency to have little to no free play. The clutch on mine grabs full on or full off at the very tip top of the lever. There's almost zero pull required to fully disengage the clutch which seems strange. I have the factory min free play, but still seems like it might not actually be fully engaged when the handle is released. I don't feel any drag, but if they are all like mine I could easily see how the OP's has become worn and is slipping.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I feel like the setup on this bike makes for the tendency to have little to no free play. The clutch on mine grabs full on or full off at the very tip top of the lever. There's almost zero pull required to fully disengage the clutch which seems strange. I have the factory min free play, but still seems like it might not actually be fully engaged when the handle is released. I don't feel any drag, but if they are all like mine I could easily see how the OP's has become worn and is slipping.
How many miles do you have on the bike?

You can slightly adjust it to release in the spot you want by adjusting free play slightly. It doesn’t HAVE to beexactly spec, as long as you have enough slack it doesn't activate the clutch at either full steering lock. Otherwise adjustable levers will help that as well.

My Ducati is VERY fussy where the free play is set to. I actually adjust it a few times during a ride to get it where I want it during a day.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
This thread has come up at a good time, I've just had my oil changed and the shifts are now more buttery which is great, but something doesn't "feel" right about the in-gear acceleration and engine braking. I'll check the free play.

Foslanden

CB650R ABS
Aug 6, 2020
Riding Since
Well, feel free to call me a dumbass because i sure feel like one.

Proper freeplay on the clutch lever seems to fix it for me :)
Anyway, i have asked the dealer now 3 times about which oil they put on it, and they dont want to answer. Suspicious or am i just paranoid now?
I have heard stories about dealers buying cheap oil and using it for servicing and charging for premium oil.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Seems odd they wouldn't defend themselves? Most likely is they use Honda-spec rather than honda own brand and don't want you phoning up every time it rattles?
Only an assumption though.
If it's the right specification I wouldn't particularly worry

Foslanden

CB650R ABS
Aug 6, 2020
Riding Since
Seems odd they wouldn't defend themselves? Most likely is they use Honda-spec rather than honda own brand and don't want you phoning up every time it rattles?
Only an assumption though.
If it's the right specification I wouldn't particularly worry
Its not like i have been rude or anything, just a simple question from my part.
I feel like i have the right to know which oil is on my bike or am i wrong?

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom

Slightly off topic but kind of on topic. I didn't have any issues were the clutch per se but I did have an issue with the tiny friction zone at the end of the lever. Aftermarket levers were the answer for me. Brammers @Brammers and I had a conversation to compare the friction zones on our bikes and they all seem to be similar on Honda bikes. My mate has a 600F and it's the same on his too.

The friction zone is right at the end of the lever and there's a huge dead zone as you pull towards the handle. I had real issues trying to find the sweet spot because it felt like it took ages to find the friction zone.

Levers.jpg

FZ = Friction zone
DZ = Dead zone

After I changed levers to the V-Trek ones from motea.com, the difference in my gear changes were night and day. The lever is pulled much closer to the handle thus getting rid of most of the dead zone.

Top Bottom