• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Shift Support

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
I've had one on my 650F for quite a while now. Not a big difference; just a bit more precise. And hey it looks good, lol.

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
One thing that I don't think many people have mentioned (perhaps I'm wrong), is that the device may extend the life of your shift seals. My other bike is a '98 Goldwing and its suffering from some really sloppy shifts. I was looking into a shift support for that as the shifter arm seems to have quite a bit of excessive play- the arm itself can move a few millimeters in any given direction with no rotation of the arm. Turns out it's a pretty common issue and the shift support is mainly added to keep the seals from failing and get the added benefit of cleaner shifts.

I'd assume that a similar benefit would be seen here. Of course we're primarly after cleaner shifts on a sport bike, but if it extends the life of parts too, that's a bonus!

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
Interesting Vid, but I have been confused for a while about the "False Neutral" thing that is mentioned? I am a new rider and possibly heavy footed with my shifts, but other than occasions where I have shifted into Neutral from 1st Gear when going for 2nd (Which I think is accidentally changing to Neutral and not a "false" Neutral, that's where Neutral is?) I have never had a False Neutral on my Bike?
Is this an issue others have found where it goes into a Neutral between higher gears?

Bill_650R

CB650R ABS
Oct 25, 2021
Riding Since
I used to get "--" occasionally where it wasn't in gear and the bike had no clue what to display. I swear by the shaft support and a properly tensioned chain!

Agree on the combination, huge difference. I would also add the importance of a properly and regularly greased shift support

RossDan

CB650F ABS
Jun 23, 2022
Riding Since
Zero change on my CBR650F 2014, near $100CA in the trash can

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I don't think it added much. Looks cool though.

Most people saying it makes a big difference are on newer 650r machines... So maybe the old gearboxes are a bit more solid and don't get the benefits as much?

Since the quickshifter went on its good to know the extra support is there though.

J

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada

Most people saying it makes a big difference are on newer 650r machines... So maybe the old gearboxes are a bit more solid and don't get the benefits as much?

Since the quickshifter went on its good to know the extra support is there though.

J
Bought this to test:

C$ 16.40 54% Off | For Honda CBR650R CB650R CB 650r CBR 650r 2019 2020 2021 2022 Shifting Gear Stabilizer CNC high quality accessories

Ian Warren

CBR650R ABS
Mar 12, 2022
United Kingdom
Riding Since

J
The Quickshifter doesn’t change the geometry of the mechanism and doesn’t change the loads or directions of loss on the shift rod so I don’t see why that would require extra support?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Actually a qs does put a bit more pressure on as you haven't killed the drive with the clutch.

The dip in throttle is what let's the gear engage. You can feel the extra pressure on the gear lever when compared to a clutched change.

J

Ian Warren

CBR650R ABS
Mar 12, 2022
United Kingdom
Riding Since
Can’t say I feel any extra pressure is required to Quickshift as long as you have throttle open and are accelerating when you shift!
Definitely more pressure if you try at neutral throttle however but that not how it’s meant to work!
You may be right but I can’t say I really notice any difference except the almost seamless power on upshifts.
Did fit it within a couple of weeks of getting the bike so don’t really up shift using the clutch for comparison but downshift with clutch (obviously) feel much the same.

aleko

CB650R ABS
Jun 17, 2022
Riding Since

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Alrighty, an update here. I finally managed to install it (Chinese one I ordered off of Aliexpress). Guess what, it had a design flaw! The middle part should be halo! Other wise it will not sit on the base and it bends. My first try failed and gear shifter stuck. I tried to help the seller and tell him how to fix it but the guy was not interested at all! Long story short, I made a hole where the extra pressure pinched and viola!
I never had bad shifting on my CB650F but this definitely made it smoother. Specially when shifting cluchless. I had ZERO false neutrals. Everything felt smooth and shifting was very precise.
Btw this model I purchased needs to be lubed/greased up since it doesn’t come with ball bearings. I used Marine grease and need to renew it every few months.
I wont pay 100 dollars for it but 16 is a no brainer.

Attachments

• 5B15B91A-3F4B-4692-AB39-A99BDFC91E23.jpeg
    5B15B91A-3F4B-4692-AB39-A99BDFC91E23.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 35
  • EAB5A310-20FD-45E5-B2E7-4914BF8AB28F.jpeg
    EAB5A310-20FD-45E5-B2E7-4914BF8AB28F.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1FCE7222-1058-4B08-BC3B-F1EAE5BADFBE.jpeg
    1FCE7222-1058-4B08-BC3B-F1EAE5BADFBE.jpeg
    691 KB · Views: 34
  • B9D91DFB-84F0-4418-8CA7-6E04E67CB002.jpeg
    B9D91DFB-84F0-4418-8CA7-6E04E67CB002.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 35

Ive

CBR650R ABS
May 13, 2020
USA
For those new members who may be stumbling onto this thread, I thought to add a tidbit of info here, just for knowledge's sake. There are two kinds of shift shaft supports for our bikes: the kind from AliExpress (that's also available on eBay), and the Racetorx design and its knock-off copies, also available on eBay.

They have different mounting points and slightly different lengths, and in my humble opinion, different levels of effectiveness. This is independent of whether or not they use bearings around the shaft.

AliExpress part mounting (photo from eBay):

shift support odd.jpg

Racetorx design/copies mounting (photo of my shaft support):

shift support rt replica.jpg

Notice the different mounting points. The support arm's difference in length (although minimal), and angular difference of the mounting point in reference to the force applied to the shaft during gear shifts, makes the Racetorx design slightly better in my humble opinion.

The AliExpress is less expensive - most likely due to the lack of bearings, and it subjectively still improves shifting performance over not having any support present. However, with knock-offs of the Racetorx design shaft supports still much cheaper than the original ($26-$32 as of this writing), I still think it's worth it to get the latter design-model.

*Edit: I hadn't noticed the extra mounting point of the AliExpress unit, similar to that of the single mounting point for the Racetorx-designed unit. It is, perhaps, just slightly less support material there. So the far mount-point of the AliExpress unit would be a redundant anchor for the support. Still, even the knock-off Racetorx designs come with bearings, so my humble opinion still stands. : )

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Glamav

CB650R ABS
Nov 11, 2022
Riding Since
Well, i have the Chinese one on my 2023 CB650R and I'm not impressed. False neutrals (or rather "--") are still present. I think they are rarer, but still there.
Any advises ?

Top Bottom