• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Shift Support

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Well, i have the Chinese one on my 2023 CB650R and I'm not impressed. False neutrals (or rather "--") are still present. I think they are rarer, but still there.
Any advises ?
Check your chain tension. I would get the "--" more often when my chain was loose. Once I learned to keep a better eye on that it basically went away entirely.

Glamav

CB650R ABS
Nov 11, 2022
Riding Since
I did that two days ago. Indeed, the "--" are less from that moment on, but not are far from not showing at all.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Those shifter shaft support extenders are a placebo. When I change my sneakers to the motorcycle shoes, I also feal a much more positive feeling despite nothing different is happening in the mechanics.

If it was necessary Honda engineers would have placed the shaft support bearing more outwards.
Useless, like many other mods. And ugly as hell ;-)

Last edited:

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Riding Since
Well, i have the Chinese one on my 2023 CB650R and I'm not impressed. False neutrals (or rather "--") are still present. I think they are rarer, but still there.
Any advises ?
Grease it and try again

Reactions: Ive

Tony650r

CBR650R
Nov 30, 2021
Riding Since
I used to get false neutrals often from 1st to 2nd when I wasn’t deliberate enough with the shifter. I installed the racetorx and it hardly ever happens now. Shifts definitely feel more crisp through all gears.

Glamav

CB650R ABS
Nov 11, 2022
Riding Since
I tried to remove the support. Its worse withouth that part. It definitely fixes the false neutrals (most of them).
I have noticed that false neutrals are pretty common in the morning and when shifting in lower rpm. I don't think i noticed false neutral over 4-5k rpm.
The interesting part is that sometimes when it goes between the 1 and 2 and shows "--" i cannot put back neither gear. So i need to release the clutch, depress it again and try to shift. Sometimes i need to do it twice. Yesterday i tried to shift from first to neutral, engine off, and bike goes again in "--". Until i tried to release the clutch and push the bike slightly to spin the gears little, there was no way to shift. Gear shifter just stops touching something.
I just hope that it will get better when parts become to wear some of the edges :)

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
Not sure if this is just me, but when it goes between the 1 and 2 and shows "--" i usually find if i "tap" the end of the lever in towards the bike it settles into either Neutral, or a gear. Not sure how old yours is, but i found my gear change improved a lot over the first 2-3K miles. Although I'm never certain how much is the box wearing in and how much is me adapting to using the Box.

Cedar650

CBR650F ABS
Apr 26, 2023
Riding Since
I tried to remove the support. Its worse withouth that part. It definitely fixes the false neutrals (most of them).
I have noticed that false neutrals are pretty common in the morning and when shifting in lower rpm. I don't think i noticed false neutral over 4-5k rpm.
The interesting part is that sometimes when it goes between the 1 and 2 and shows "--" i cannot put back neither gear. So i need to release the clutch, depress it again and try to shift. Sometimes i need to do it twice. Yesterday i tried to shift from first to neutral, engine off, and bike goes again in "--". Until i tried to release the clutch and push the bike slightly to spin the gears little, there was no way to shift. Gear shifter just stops touching something.
I just hope that it will get better when parts become to wear some of the edges :)

I've just installed the support (cheap eBay version) and it took all movement out of the shaft so definitely served it's purpose. Shifting in the uppers gears and at higher rpm is definitely noticably more precise, though it hasn't cured the notchy feeling of the gearbox between 1-2 and 2-3 at lower speed/rpm. So I'd say yes, it works, but it isn't necesarily a cure for those of us experiencing the difficult shifting particularly between 1 and 2.

viotek

CB650R
Jun 20, 2023
Riding Since
Just wanted to mention my experience with adding the shift support, as there is definitely a bit of a split of opinions out there. In my case, it worked wonders. I was getting a ton of false neutrals and the "--" display that can go along with it. I ordered a version from eBay with the roller bearing in it, and it made a immediate difference in shifter feel, being much crisper, to the point that it kind of hurt my foot until I adjusted my technique a bit due to the shifter being that much more stiff. I've also put on just over 3000kms on the bike, so that might have helped a bit, but the false neutrals essentially went away after adding the support. I get the odd one, but not nearly as bad as prior. The quality of this knock off seems great for what it is.

rsnsvs

CB650R
Mar 5, 2024
Riding Since
I used to get "--" occasionally where it wasn't in gear and the bike had no clue what to display. I swear by the shaft support and a properly tensioned chain!
Had the exact same thing on my bike few weeks ago on a roundabout when shifting to second gear from first, luckily there was no car behind me otherwise it could have been a serious crash. Ended up installing a racetorx shift support and haven’t got a false neutral so far. Don’t want to get rear ended on a roundabout 😅

Daniel Y

CB650R
Jun 4, 2024
Riding Since
Any advises ?
Glamav, zdravei!
Bought my bike last year. 2023 model. Before 2 000 km i got many "--" and false neutrals. One thing that i did to optimize this is to fix the pedal height for my foot. So I have better contact when hitting up or down gears with my foot.
Despite the "--| and false neutrals are rarely happening, ut STILL happening its pretty annoying to hear that loud clunk sound from the gearbox (I can hear something trying to break, awful)
So now I am wondering if I Should buy this: https://racetorx.co.uk/product/rtx218/
Checked my chain tension - its pretty normal and stiff. So this shifting problem still stays. My last hope is the gear shifter support.
share you opinion please. Thanks!

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
“Help me Obi wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope”

If you’ve already taken the time to adjust the shifter and still have issues, then I would give it a try. Mine usually has issues when it’s cold, but definitely annoying when it happens.

Last edited:

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
“Help me Obi wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope”

If you’ve already take the time to adjust the shifter and still have issues, then I would give it a try. Mine usually has issues when it’s cold, but definitely annoying when it happens.
Have you tried a different oil? What are you using? This can have huge impact.
My CB gear shifting is very good, one of the best I've tried!
Sorry if I missed this discussion before...

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
My 2023 is fine. It shouldn't need anything aftermarket to get a decent gearchange. Isn't it still under warranty? A thing I've practised since my days of BMW ownership is pre-loading the gearlever. I find that this usually helps on any manual bike, though I often do clutchless changes anyway.

Top Bottom