• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Rust

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Please share your VFR tire selection with us.....brand and model of knobbies.

Also ...I call pics or it didn't.....you know. ;)

Katie

CBR650F ABS
Feb 1, 2019
Hmm, remind me to dust off the time machine later, pop back and get some pictures and bring them back to prove a point

Or not

Boys, I really don't care what you do or don't believe :rolleyes:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I've ridden in snow many times, but let me be specific by saying there wasn't snow on the roads but the snow banks were taller than me on my bike! (I'm from Buffalo, NY.) When I got out of the Army I bought a Yamaha 650 Special and that was my only vehicle. I rode that thing whenever the roads were plowed (and would have to get rides from friends until I eventually got a car). So it is possible, just watch out for the slick roads and black ice.

As for the OP, I haven't seen any rust anywhere on my CB so I don't know what's happening with yours. But, if not mistaken, there are others on this forum that have reported similar issues with rusting.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Boys, I really don't care what you do or don't believe :rolleyes:
Not to further this bickering but I’m curious what bikes you do think are better build quality and when did Honda’s quality drop off in your experience?

I can definitly tell a difference in the modern “premium” models vs. the “budget” ones and the 80s, 90s and early 2000s bikes were generally very solid mounts that you never heard of corrosion or rust issues within the first few years like you do now. I’m just very surprised you list your ‘98 VFR as a bike that rusted badly and had a poor build quality, that bike, and those years, were a high water mark for the industry. But it’s been ALL bikes, from ALL companies that are suffering, not just Honda. I haven’t seen a clear coat over aluminum parts or treated bolts in 10 years, I bet.

I will say that yeah, 35K miles per year in all weather, including snow, will kill most bikes out there. Whether you choose to ride that way or not is your prerogative but they are simply not built and designed for all weather riding and unless you proactively treat them to deal with the harsh road chemicals, any bike will degrade quickly. It’ll just be quicker now than in the past.

Last edited:

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Autos employ undercoating as a preventative to winter snow/moisture/chemical damage. Its big $$ industry.

How could you NOT expect corrosive damage after frequent exposure to winter road environment?

Is Honda supposed to be immune?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Also keep in mind in this conversation that a large majority of the parts that are bolted on (from all mfg’s) come from suppliers, and they are the same ones. Look at the brakes, wheels, forks, etc and you’ll see the same names on all of them, regardless of the name on the tank.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of manufacturing is moved to China to save money and metals that are less expensive to produce are used. Honda is not going to spec marine grade SS on headers on an $8K motorcycle.

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
If you dont bother with protecting your bike properly, riding through the winter and salt will murder it. Take the protective coating off a car, see how it reacts to 35k miles + a winter.
Aint gonna look new lol.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
A few years ago I bought a Suzuki Marauder for cheap. Ran like a top but when I brought it home from St. Pete in Florida, upon further cleaning and inspection, that thing was rusted in many places. It was a Florida bike it's whole life so how could it rust so much compared to all of the other Florida bikes I owned???

The salt in the ocean side air! St. Pete is right on the Gulf. You go inland by 30+ miles and you won't get all that salty air as bad. I was really surprised at that.

AntonRyo

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2020
Going on this, I’ve literally had my bike locked up since October, was all clean, dry and covered up but my pipes have “Rusted “ quite badly.
Here is a picture, I’m debating taking it to my local Honda and seeing what they say.

Attachments

• 3A0FDBBC-6062-47BA-BF0F-3C2536E95423.jpeg
    3A0FDBBC-6062-47BA-BF0F-3C2536E95423.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 786877F6-C916-4A7B-B61A-48114F852F6A.jpeg
    786877F6-C916-4A7B-B61A-48114F852F6A.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 44
  • 25B1AE23-880F-4B85-ADB4-08121051F14E.jpeg
    25B1AE23-880F-4B85-ADB4-08121051F14E.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 62BE34F5-9F5B-4E85-BCB6-5B2A1432E861.jpeg
    62BE34F5-9F5B-4E85-BCB6-5B2A1432E861.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 38

AntonRyo

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2020
*UPDATE*

Ended up taking it back today due to a flat battery yesterday.

They told me they have had issues with the exhausts since they came out which is from the spray. (They have made a longer front mud guard on the 2020 model)

I have to call them tomorrow and speak to the service manager and arrange a day for them to look at it to do a warranty claim.

I mentioned the battery to them also because I had to jump it twice on the way there today (only 15 miles) and they did say they’ll look at that too as there was issues with batteries and charging ports.

Robbymag

CBR650F ABS
Oct 24, 2019
About 20cm of snow during that time so the 60 miles home were fairly entertaining
would that have been about 9 years ago I was out and it came down so fast I had to stop working

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
*UPDATE*

Ended up taking it back today due to a flat battery yesterday.

They told me they have had issues with the exhausts since they came out which is from the spray. (They have made a longer front mud guard on the 2020 model)

I have to call them tomorrow and speak to the service manager and arrange a day for them to look at it to do a warranty claim.

I mentioned the battery to them also because I had to jump it twice on the way there today (only 15 miles) and they did say they’ll look at that too as there was issues with batteries and charging ports. Quote

- Longer front mudguard is a step in the right direction . How can those pipes even be stainless steel to go like that ?! I would definitely want them replacing under warranty. Would be interested to know more about the battery and 'charging port' issues.

Top Bottom