• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Rough Idle.........

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Sorry everyone...........I’ve asked questions before about the pair valve and engine noises. I’ve got my dealer taking a look at the bike next week to be on the safe side.

But can I ask another question.......idle. I have seen on previous threads the odd comment about the pair valve causes idle problems. Can anyone tell me more? Just so I can tell my dealer exactly what I am worried about, and what seems a bike characteristic that I can ignore?

Thanks in advance

Slickvic

CBR650F
Sep 27, 2017
Brookfield, WI
Riding Since
I don't have a recording of the PAIR system sound, but I found someone else's video of his bike idling (or as the Brits say, "Tickover").

In his video you can hear it. Some have described it as "gravel being shaken in a coffee can".

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Sorry just seen the updates.....I mean rough as in some vibration etc. Think it maybe the euro 4 emission kit (pair valve) making it in a half warm state not idle too smoothly.

I'm getting the dealer to check it out properly. Never had a 4 cylinder make such weird noises and run so vibey on idle, low throttle or revs up to 4 k.......

It's under warranty and needs checking. I appreciate everyone s help and advice on all my questions.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Just listened to the video......mine does sound alot like that......but its just the level of vibes you get through the bars when you rev it.....and as it comes off the throttle......pulling the clutch lever in to eliminate the transmission does help some.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
Just listened to the video......mine does sound alot like that......but its just the level of vibes you get through the bars when you rev it.....and as it comes off the throttle......pulling the clutch lever in to eliminate the transmission does help some.
Sounds fairly normal, but best to get it checked out.Has it put you off the bike?

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
It's difficult.......must admit I expected the bike to be a lot smoother.......my last bike was a
06 CBR600F4. Had a vibey rev range but otherwise a lot smoother. But was a bit cramped as i got older. But the CB is a great riding position for a man of my age! Perhaps I expect too much of a new bike and I am very fussy!

Also as a lot seem to say perhaps it needs more miles and the first oil change......and things smooth out some what. The demo had 1500 miles on it.....was smoother apart from a rev range around 5 to 6 k, but also gear dependant.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
It's difficult.......must admit I expected the bike to be a lot smoother.......my last bike was a
06 CBR600F4. Had a vibey rev range but otherwise a lot smoother. But was a bit cramped as i got older. But the CB is a great riding position for a man of my age! Perhaps I expect too much of a new bike and I am very fussy!

Also as a lot seem to say perhaps it needs more miles and the first oil change......and things smooth out some what. The demo had 1500 miles on it.....was smoother apart from a rev range around 5 to 6 k, but also gear dependant.
Well buddy if it helps. I had 3 cbr600s before this and I too was a bit miffed with the vibes and the build quality of the new cb. But this bike has some great attributes and hopefully you like me will get used to most of it's little quirks given time.😉

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Well buddy if it helps. I had 3 cbr600s before this and I too was a bit miffed with the vibes and the build quality of the new cb. But this bike has some great attributes and hopefully you like me will get used to most of it's little quirks given time.😉

Thanks mate.......as said fingers crossed all is well......but I keep forgetting it's under warranty too......yes my CBR was so smooth and immaculate......but just s little cramped for old knees and backs!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It’ll smooth out with miles, you need to give it time; somewhere around 1800-2500 miles it smooths out dramatically.

My dad has a well maintained ‘06 F4i, I had an ‘11 600RR before the 650, my buddy has a well worn ‘03 600rr nad I’ve owned maybe a dozen other Honda twin and 4 cylinders of all sizes, mileage and years and ALL have idled smoother and not had the loud ass PAIR valve noises and somewhat lumpy feel the 650F has. You will get used to it or have to bypass the valve, your choice, I am dealing with mine as is but have purchased the bypass valves for next time I pull the tank.

This really is a great bike once you give it some time to grow on you. Fit and finish is a little lacking but for the price and what it does you can’t beat it.

Even my Triumph 1050 triple idles smoother.

Slickvic

CBR650F
Sep 27, 2017
Brookfield, WI
Riding Since
I concur with the engine smoothing out with miles. The engine felt downright harsh off throttle for my initial ride home from the dealer last year.

I just rolled past 2,000 miles last week and it has definitely gotten smoother in all aspects. It's still a little buzzy around 6,000 RPMs but that has also subsided with more miles.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Thanks to you all for your comments......

One thing though....I tightened the throttle cable slack a little.....made the bike so much easier to ride....just feels much better and easier to control.

Top Bottom