Removing LAMS on 2017 CBR650F ABS

gunmetalgrey

CBR650F ABS
Jul 20, 2018
Hey.. has anyone been through this exercise - (anyone from Adelaide even?) - I'm looking for the best garage to get referred to to perform the upgrade. It's best to upgrade the exhaust first before installing a new ECU apparently - anyone got any experience with this?

User1

CBR650F ABS
Jun 14, 2018
Hey mate... I am sending my ECU away next week to this place (see below link). Spoke with them and they have managed to get the USA version of the ECU map which produces about 87HP instead of the LAMS AU 47hp. ECU will be posted back with O2 sensor eliminator and increased diameter intake funnels... Pretty keen to see how it performs afterwards as the LAMS AU tune is pretty shit...
https://motorcycleworkshop.com.au/product/honda-cbr650f-2014-18-mail-in-ecu-flash-option-2/

Last edited:

gunmetalgrey

CBR650F ABS
Jul 20, 2018
Cheer for the reply. I rekon I'll do the same thing. When you get the ECU back and get it installed, can you post up how it went and how the bike feels after? I was toying with the idea with upgrading the exhaust before the tune but it seems easier to just go for the US tune if it's another 40HP with a stock exhaust and just get used to that for a while.

User1

CBR650F ABS
Jun 14, 2018
Will do... I've read heaps of forums about exhaust upgrades and power commanders etc. but if the stock US version is good for 87hp I'll be happy with that for the moment. And to be honest the stock exhaust tucked under the frame, to me anyway, looks ok and most of the after market exhaust systems look a bit shit.

gunmetalgrey

CBR650F ABS
Jul 20, 2018
Yeah I agree - the stock exhaust looks good - apart from the tip but I'd rather my bike looks and sounds stock anyway if I'm going to change the ECU to keep it stealth and attract 'their' attention. Also - the guy from motorcycleworkshop said that you will only get a 2hp increase and the only real noticible difference is noise - the Acropovic system is what they stock for a CBR650F and that comes at $1,495.00. Not really worth it for 2hp.

User1

CBR650F ABS
Jun 14, 2018
Agreed! $1500 on some noise is pretty senseless. I saw on YouTube someone removed the muffler, cut of the skinny exhaust tip and refitted a larger tip. looked ok. Local muffler shop could probably help for less than a couple hundred $$. but trying to get the larger tip to line up with the outer cowl cover would be tricky... How about I'll go guinea pig on the ECU if you go guinea on chopping the muffler box... lol

1532495665947.png

Last edited:

gunmetalgrey

CBR650F ABS
Jul 20, 2018
Actually - that's a bloody good solution to get a more throaty exhaust sound, I might see if any of the local shops would take on that task (in 2 months when I get off my R-Date).

Splint

CBR650F ABS
Jul 21, 2018
Hey mate... I am sending my ECU away next week to this place (see below link). Spoke with them and they have managed to get the USA version of the ECU map which produces about 87HP instead of the LAMS AU 47hp. ECU will be posted back with O2 sensor eliminator and increased diameter intake funnels... Pretty keen to see how it performs afterwards as the LAMS AU tune is pretty shit...
https://motorcycleworkshop.com.au/product/honda-cbr650f-2014-18-mail-in-ecu-flash-option-2/
+1 Was thinking of doing this exact same thing, though I can't get mine done until another 4-5 weeks. Pls let us know how it turns out.
Cheers.

TingTong

CBR650F ABS
Aug 31, 2018
How did the upgrade work out?

Splint

CBR650F ABS
Jul 21, 2018
How did the upgrade work out?
He hasn't replied back to me either, but I did talk to dynotune and he reflashes the ECU with his own map. Not some USA version as he said they were crap for Aussie fuel type and conditions. Also according to some "Woolich racing" are supposed to get a reflash for this bike in the next 100 years or so... Lol . I think it'd be best to go with Dynotune imo

Splint

CBR650F ABS
Jul 21, 2018
He hasn't replied back to me either, but I did talk to dynotune and he reflashes the ECU with his own map. Not some USA version as he said they were crap for Aussie fuel type and conditions. Also according to some "Woolich racing" are supposed to get a reflash for this bike in the next 100 years or so... Lol . I think it'd be best to go with Dynotune imo
Not dynotune but dynobike. Sorry

Redshift.7

CBR650F
Sep 5, 2018
Could you not just bore out the stock intake funnels, install a PCV and have it dynotuned? This would also let you convert it back by replacing the funnels. I saw they wanted $700 to flash the ecu. A 2nd hand pcv and dynotune can be had for that

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018

The link you posted has the 2014-2016 Intake funnels which is NOT for your bike. The 2017+ bikes have shorter ones and a different part number.

Last edited:

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
The correct intake funnels for CBR650F and CB650F 2017-2018 is part# 17225-MJE-DB0, you will need 2 of them.

Your link shows 17226-MJE-D00 which is INCORRECT.

The newer ones allow the bike to rev faster, help with top speed.
Older ones give better low end torque and revs slower.
The difference MAYBE is just a little. So don't panic if you get the older ones.
Depending how you ride, up to you to decided which intake funnel you want to go with.

Last edited:

User1

CBR650F ABS
Jun 14, 2018
hey sorry all. been away and haven't been on here and haven't had a chance to get someone to get the ECU out the bike and sent away yet. cheers for the headsup on the intakes. I'll hopefully get this down to Dynobike asap and drop an update.

ducbock

CB650F ABS
Nov 28, 2018
how did u go with u'r flashed ecu by dyno bikes and what did thy hit u up for? I noticed thy have a kit u can buy for $685 but than u would have hiss issues? i want to do same as u i already opened up my funnels but running very lean now so have to park it till i get my ecu sorted.

gunmetalgrey

CBR650F ABS
Jul 20, 2018
Good timing! I have it getting it done today. I'm getting it done here in SA, I can provide a name if you are in SA. The guy ordered me a PowerCommander ECU and is re-mapping it manually while on the dyno. Also he is opening up the part of the throttle body that allows more fuel in. He got instructions on how to de-restrict the bike from a guy in QLD who has done heaps of them. All up, is costing me $1,295. I was thinking about an exhaust upgrade before getting the tune (otherwise I would need to have it re-tuned after the exhaust) - but it only achieves at most about 4 more hp - not really worth it for about $1,000. An upgrade in the exhaust note would be good - but not wanting to spend over 2k just at the moment on it.

Splint

CBR650F ABS
Jul 21, 2018
Hi, hey I ended up getting a Power Commander 5 as well and not an ECU reflash. I got the unrestricted velocity stacks installed as well I already have an exhaust on there, but I'm not very happy with the current map that was supplied with the Power Commander 5 can you please send me your map after you get it dynoed thanks. Or if any one else might have a BALLS TO THE WALL MAP, PLS send one on to me... Cheers [email protected]

Top Bottom