Removing LAMS on 2017 CBR650F ABS

Cbr650R_Beau

CBR650R ABS
May 18, 2019
Guys, how important is a full exhaust system? It is necessary or just beneficial?
Platinum Motorcycles want my bike for a week so I'm going through Dynobike who will do it on the same day.

I have a brand new 2019 cbr650r has about 1400kms on it atm full akropovic exhaust etc etc, i called platinum this morning to enquire about a derestriction an they said they are still experimenting with the 2019 model an there not ready to do it just yet until they have sorted everything out with there experimental bike, he quoted me around $850 mark an bike for 1 week

Cbr650R_Beau

CBR650R ABS
May 18, 2019
Do you guys get worried if you have an accident on a restricted license with a derestricted bike?
Im not worried about the police as its impossible for them too tell if its de-restricted, im only worried a little about insurance, but then again do they go to the extent of pulling out the ecu an getting it checked?

MrLinderman

CB650F ABS
Jun 14, 2019
Do you guys get worried if you have an accident on a restricted license with a derestricted bike?
Im not worried about the police as its impossible for them too tell if its de-restricted, im only worried a little about insurance, but then again do they go to the extent of pulling out the ecu an getting it checked?

If you have choice of repairer in your insurance and they were the ones to do the de-restriction then you have no worries, atleast with the crowd i work with, they only advise the assessors of the damage in an accident and not what mods you have done. but its your choice, from what i know i have never heard or seen anyone pinged for de-restricting a lams model when riding on a full license.

I'll likely be getting mine done in a few months after i have given the bike a decent warm up and got used to the handling

p.s Danny and Louie at Platinum know there stuff so i would not be worried at all with them doing the mod, They have been my go too crew for the last 4 years and tuned my race bike and always did a bang up job.

Cbr650R_Beau

CBR650R ABS
May 18, 2019
If you have choice of repairer in your insurance and they were the ones to do the de-restriction then you have no worries, atleast with the crowd i work with, they only advise the assessors of the damage in an accident and not what mods you have done. but its your choice, from what i know i have never heard or seen anyone pinged for de-restricting a lams model when riding on a full license.

I'll likely be getting mine done in a few months after i have given the bike a decent warm up and got used to the handling

p.s Danny and Louie at Platinum know there stuff so i would not be worried at all with them doing the mod, They have been my go too crew for the last 4 years and tuned my race bike and always did a bang up job.

The guys at platinum sound like top blokes i called them the other day. They dont have an option for derestricting the 2019 model yet but are currently working on it, ive only been in the bike scene for a little over 2 years an looking for a shop to do work on future bikes, i have 1 1/2 years left on my restricted license then im off it.

Geoff

CBR650F ABS
May 19, 2019
Toowoomba Australia
Mail in lams bike tunes. Including intake funnels and O2 sensor delete. If we get a group buy happening - $550 each. Pm me if you're interested. 👍

Bislamatic

CBR650F
Sep 18, 2019
Good timing! I have it getting it done today. I'm getting it done here in SA, I can provide a name if you are in SA. The guy ordered me a PowerCommander ECU and is re-mapping it manually while on the dyno. Also he is opening up the part of the throttle body that allows more fuel in. He got instructions on how to de-restrict the bike from a guy in QLD who has done heaps of them. All up, is costing me $1,295. I was thinking about an exhaust upgrade before getting the tune (otherwise I would need to have it re-tuned after the exhaust) - but it only achieves at most about 4 more hp - not really worth it for about $1,000. An upgrade in the exhaust note would be good - but not wanting to spend over 2k just at the moment on it.[/QUOT

Is it procycle the guys in qld?

Bislamatic

CBR650F
Sep 18, 2019
That's true about the dealer. There isn't a tune on the PC website that will come anywhere close for an Australian LAMS bike. As most people from Oz say you need a custom map to fully derestrict. This is 100% TRUE. I've done a ton of research and have spoke to 4 different bike tuning shops and today I got a flat out balls to the wall map installed. 265k top speed and it gets there pretty damn quickly. I'd love to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Fred at PRO CYCLE DYNO Slacks ck Brisbane. Be aware you need to get an o2 sensor delete as they don't come with the pcv anymore. I'm Sooo happy as I can now keep up with my mates on litre bikes and a few on Bussers... Till we hit 220 k then they're gone. FYI

Hey man how much did it end up costing you at pro cycle dyno? And what kind of power did it make.

helman

CBR650F ABS
Oct 2, 2019
Australia
In my humble opinion, I don't think there is much point in getting the bike derestricted unless you change the gearing. Perhaps by adding a couple of teeth to the front sprocket. If you don't all it means is you are going to get to maximum speed quicker than you would with your bike standard. If you go down this path you may need to consider installing a speedo healer so that your speedo and odometer are working accurately.

I only say this as I originally had an unrestricted 2014 model that would cruise on the motor way at 110km/hr @ 4000rpm but my LAMS bike is revving at 5000rpm for the same speed. It just guzzles the juice.

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
Sorry guys, haven’t been on here for a while but I just wanted you to know my bike had developed a flat spot between 3-4K rpm when twisted at full throttle.

Dave @ Dynobike basically told me there’s nothing wrong with the bike and dismissed my concern.

I called a more reputable bike shop who said and I quote “that’s what you get when you get the job done in a day”.

This shop had also received several complaints about dyno bike and fixed a lot of his mistakes.

Just remember guys, no 2 tunes can be the same and he uses generic tunes on every bike.

Research properly and don’t be impatient like I was!!

Koala Lumpur

CB650F ABS
Nov 26, 2020
Riding Since
Good to know U @CBR650F thanks for sharing your experience mate

For those who have de-restricted their bikes, have you updated the specs of the bike via TMR? Any costs to change it over?

Cheers

Hondainfrankston

CB650R
Dec 13, 2020
Riding Since
Good to know U @CBR650F thanks for sharing your experience mate

For those who have de-restricted their bikes, have you updated the specs of the bike via TMR? Any costs to change it over?

Cheers
I had my cb650r done by Dave and i cant fault it. No flat spot or any issues. I see a lot of people talking about 79hp and 84hp. My dyno results showed 92hp?? Im happy with the way my bike runs ...just need to ride it more 😁

my_toy

CBR650R
Mar 5, 2022
Riding Since
Interesting read..!!!!

I'm thinking of doing the same but does anyone recommend a place in Brisbane to restrict my LAMS.

I have 21 CBR650R with full system exhaust for now.

Kindest Regards

Euan

CB650F ABS
Mar 30, 2022
Riding Since
That's true about the dealer. There isn't a tune on the PC website that will come anywhere close for an Australian LAMS bike. As most people from Oz say you need a custom map to fully derestrict. This is 100% TRUE. I've done a ton of research and have spoke to 4 different bike tuning shops and today I got a flat out balls to the wall map installed. 265k top speed and it gets there pretty damn quickly. I'd love to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Fred at PRO CYCLE DYNO Slacks ck Brisbane. Be aware you need to get an o2 sensor delete as they don't come with the pcv anymore. I'm Sooo happy as I can now keep up with my mates on litre bikes and a few on Bussers... Till we hit 220 k then they're gone. FYI
Hey mate,
Wondering whether you still have the custom tune for your PCV and if I could have a look? I have a custom map on mine but it runs lean down low and just looking at comparing.
Cheers

Top Bottom