• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Rear brake feel

Plague222

CBR650F
Jan 7, 2021
Riding Since
2015 CBR650F non-abs. Just got the bike a few weeks ago. 5300 miles on it. Rear brake seems really weak and has a weird feel to it. Not sure since I'm new to the bike but it just doesn't seem right to me. 1/4 pedal does about nothing, 1/2 pedal start to get some slowing, then 3/4 pedal the pedal has a sort of notchy feel to it, almost like something is binding / sticking. Hard to get full pedal as the feeling just gets goofy so I let off. When backing the bike out of garage, noticed a creaky noise from the back. Went to take apart the brake and found the frame slider / rear spool hitting the caliper and I think it was impeding its movement. Took the slider off to check the brake but the feel is still the same. No more noise though. Took pads out, scuffed surface, cleaned and lubed slider pins and pads / shims. Still same feel. Have not done anything with the pedal yet. Anyone else felt same thing? Any input? Things to check? Thanks in advance!

Plague222

CBR650F
Jan 7, 2021
Riding Since
Well my rotor is definitely tight. I cleaned scuffed and lubed pads, shim, pins, etc and checked piston movement - all seem ok. The noise when backing up came back but seems to be intermittent. When sitting the pedal feels ok - I really only notice the feel / notchyness when riding. I wouldn't think it would be air in the system but I'm not super familiar with wrenching on bikes. I am a car mechanic however. Just doesn't seem to match the symptoms. I could try bleeding though this weekend if you honestly think it might help. I haven't seem anything else on the forums or online that seem to match what it's doing.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Well my rotor is definitely tight. I cleaned scuffed and lubed pads, shim, pins, etc and checked piston movement - all seem ok. The noise when backing up came back but seems to be intermittent. When sitting the pedal feels ok - I really only notice the feel / notchyness when riding. I wouldn't think it would be air in the system but I'm not super familiar with wrenching on bikes. I am a car mechanic however. Just doesn't seem to match the symptoms. I could try bleeding though this weekend if you honestly think it might help. I haven't seem anything else on the forums or online that seem to match what it's doing.

It operates exactly like an automotive hydraulic brake system. Do you still have the spools off?

Plague222

CBR650F
Jan 7, 2021
Riding Since
Put it back on but adjusted the position so it's not hitting the caliper anymore. Doesn't seem to get very tight on the arm though.

Plague222

CBR650F
Jan 7, 2021
Riding Since
I’ll have to look. Busy work week. I’m thinking though the rotor may be warped. Seems to do it in one spot on the rotor or possibly 2 on opposite sides. I like your spools s lot better than mine. Look super secure but you can’t take the rear wheel off on those hmm? Just for protection? (Sorry off topic)

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Bleed and new pads as long as the rotor is in spec. I’d also suggest adjusting the pedal height to make it work a bit sooner in its travel. It’s a used bike, you never know what a previous owner did, especially because the rear brake is so controversial on a sporty bike, so resetting it may be in order.

The single piston rear brake isn’t incredible on this bike, it’s pretty wooden feeling and not terribly progressive, though most are nowadays so it’s not that unusual. But freshening up the fluid and adjusting it should make it be adequate at least.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I like your spools s lot better than mine. Look super secure but you can’t take the rear wheel off on those hmm? Just for protection? (Sorry off topic)
Several threads on the spools topic. My 650F is a daily commuter bike (not a track bike) and the only time the rear wheel has been off (so far) is tire replacement. For those jobs I have an ABBA stand, which recently started shipping to the US.

Plague222

CBR650F
Jan 7, 2021
Riding Since
Looks like I can get EBC or Galfer sintered HH pads. I can only find the Galfer rotors though, can’t seem to find EBC rotors US. If these are the best I’ll just order them up. I haven’t heard of Galfer but I’ve used EBC on cars I’ve worked on.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Looks like I can get EBC or Galfer sintered HH pads. I can only find the Galfer rotors though, can’t seem to find EBC rotors US. If these are the best I’ll just order them up. I haven’t heard of Galfer but I’ve used EBC on cars I’ve worked on.
Galfer makes great rotors, but honestly on the rear it probably doesn’t matter.

Plague222

CBR650F
Jan 7, 2021
Riding Since
Is FA496HH the correct part number for EBC rear pads? Unless I’m dumb that was the correct fit on EBC website but according to Amazon it doesn’t fit the bike. Of course I would tend to not trust Amazon site but just want to confirm.

Plague222

CBR650F
Jan 7, 2021
Riding Since
Yea that’s what I thought. Got them ordered along with the r&g spools to replace the trex ones, and a new set of adjustable levers. I’ll replace the pads, bleed the rear, and readjust the pedal when they get here. Thanks for the input. We’ll see how it goes.4B98A1E1-87B5-472B-93A2-1862E90B5074.jpeg

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Yea that’s what I thought. Got them ordered along with the r&g spools to replace the trex ones, and a new set of adjustable levers. I’ll replace the pads, bleed the rear, and readjust the pedal when they get here. Thanks for the input. We’ll see how it goes.

For USA/Canada 2014/2015/2016/2017 Brakes are the same.

Top Bottom