Rain and crazy winds!

JasCBR650R

CBR650R
Jun 12, 2020
Riding Since
So today was the first time I rode in these conditions and man! Its actually quite scary, I was physically being pushed across the lane by these winds! I found trying to press down of the front handle bars slightly helped the bike stay planted a bit better however was probably the scariest experience I have had.

Any recommendations for these conditions as I'm sure it wont be the last time. I get avoid riding in those conditions is going to be a top answer to this question lol 🤣

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
So today was the first time I rode in these conditions and man! Its actually quite scary, I was physically being pushed across the lane by these winds! I found trying to press down of the front handle bars slightly helped the bike stay planted a bit better however was probably the scariest experience I have had.

Any recommendations for these conditions as I'm sure it wont be the last time. I get avoid riding in those conditions is going to be a top answer to this question lol 🤣
wind...how i hate it xD, i need to lean 5-10º to go straight and sometimes i get almost kicked of the bike when is front-back wind lol, but ye, when rains joins, its a no no to me, but i recommend take it slow, in these conditions its easy something go wrong

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I’ll get yelled at for this, but I ride in windy conditions quite a bit here and I found the faster you go the more stable the bike is and less susceptible the bike is to cross winds. 80 was smoother than 60 on the Freeway, just my observation.

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Bikes are inherently more stable the faster they go. However, I don't recommend that in heavy rain. I'm not a fan of riding in the rain, so my suggestion there is simply to avoid it. I know that's not ideal, but it's my honest opinion. Rain makes me miserable. When it rains, I take the truck.

As far as the wind goes, tuck in deeper. It lowers your center of gravity, and reduces your overall profile so there is less of you for the wind to push. It also reduces the weight on your arms, which gives you better control over the bike. I don't know how effective the windscreen is on the CBRs, but it might even help keep the rain off of you if you're tucked behind it.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Get good tyres (road5s are recommended in the wet among others).

As for wind, learn to read the weather and understand where / when things happen... Like as you go past a lorry (aka windbreak) learn whenntonlran/not lean.

It isn't fun but with experience it's manageable.

J

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
I’ll get yelled at for this, but I ride in windy conditions quite a bit here and I found the faster you go the more stable the bike is and less susceptible the bike is to cross winds. 80 was smoother than 60 on the Freeway, just my observation.
observation for naked bikes, the faster u go the faster you smash the tank to not fly, so don't skip leg days guys xD
But is what Brammers says, you eventually get used to it and manage to control better the bike with those winds

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Just dont death grip your controls, i'v never had wind be a serious issue when riding as long as you dont tense up and let the bike do its thing its really not a big deal.
Rain sucks tho
This is all good advice, however I will say I’ve also never had wind serious enough to be an issue while riding until one time time a few years ago in a huge rain storm two up on my 600lb plus Triumph fully loaded for a weeks trip. It. Was. Awful. And the worst wind/rain I’ve ever experienced that literally blew us from one side of the road to the other and it got to the point that while looking for shelter we were blown from the center of the right sideto the far left side of the road back to the far right side and into the shoulder of the road almost into the ditch. Trees were being blown over on the road around us.

My wife was scared as hell and I have to say that was top 2 or 3 of the most scary times on a motorcycle including a 160mph+ tank slapper down the front straight of Road America racetrack topping out a CBR929RR. We found a place to pull over and ride the storm out but that was bad so it does happen to a dangerous point you can’t control.

Stay loose, go with it by leaning into the wind and know comfort in scary situations comes with experience.

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
This is all good advice, however I will say I’ve also never had wind serious enough to be an issue while riding until one time time a few years ago in a huge rain storm two up on my 600lb plus Triumph fully loaded for a weeks trip. It. Was. Awful. And the worst wind/rain I’ve ever experienced that literally blew us from one side of the road to the other and it got to the point that while looking for shelter we were blown from the center of the right sideto the far left side of the road back to the far right side and into the shoulder of the road almost into the ditch. Trees were being blown over on the road around us.

My wife was scared as hell and I have to say that was top 2 or 3 of the most scary times on a motorcycle including a 160mph+ tank slapper down the front straight of Road America racetrack topping out a CBR929RR. We found a place to pull over and ride the storm out but that was bad so it does happen to a dangerous point you can’t control.

Stay loose, go with it by leaning into the wind and know comfort in scary situations comes with experience.
Yup that sounds nastier than anything i'v ever dealt with, have had some pretty interesting experiences crossing large bridges that tbh probably should have been closed due to the weather.
Staying loose and as you say lean into it gets you through 90% of the bad stuff with very little effort. I have 0 doubt that if it got really bad on a loaded up bike, especially being two up my butt would be clenching aswell!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
And if you decide to pull over somewhere...get somewhere way away from the roadway. Cars tend to not let it bother them and add to any rain makes it difficult to see a motorcycle on the side of the road. With wind also pushing cars to the side, you sitting on the side of the road could be a deadly outcome.

JasCBR650R

CBR650R
Jun 12, 2020
Riding Since
Some really good things to consider! Thanks so much guys - oh how glad am I, I decided to join a forum. I'm a lone biker at the moment so need to get into a few biking groups and meet other bikers

I have found going faster feels a lot more controlled but I am clenching those butt cheeks!! I tried curling up and found that to help as well. I haven't tried leaning into the wind to counter balance the push but I will definitely try that.

JasCBR650R

CBR650R
Jun 12, 2020
Riding Since
And if you decide to pull over somewhere...get somewhere way away from the roadway. Cars tend to not let it bother them and add to any rain makes it difficult to see a motorcycle on the side of the road. With wind also pushing cars to the side, you sitting on the side of the road could be a deadly outcome.

Yes - I wouldn't have even thought of that to be honest but a very valid point. Can be potentially very very dangerous 👍

JasCBR650R

CBR650R
Jun 12, 2020
Riding Since

Man that sounds crazy! Am glad you were both safe in that instance. The 160mph sounds interesting - 110 is about as far as I've got. But the bike has 250miles on it yet so don't want to push it tooo much just yet. Soon, although the CBR650R does stop picking up around 140mph if i'm correct.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'll also add...keep a good book and flashlight in your backpack or luggage. I've sat under a few bridges during some rough storms reading a good book!

Top Bottom