• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Radiator damaged

Jack

CB650R
Jun 11, 2020
Riding Since
Everything was happening from the weekend ride with friends. A piece of stone flipped on my radiator (cb650r) and started to leak coolant liquid. I didn’t realise till home. I was shocked and luckily the engine didn’t get cooked for some reason I don’t know.

I took the radiator out and brought it to the workshop tried to weld it back and replaced new coolant liquid.

since then, the temperature shows on max full bars after riding roughly 5 minutes around local area.

I really want to know if it’s the coolant liquid problem or the radiator issue damaged the bike after the fun ride.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Did you flush the radiator through afterwards to check for flow and make sure it wasn't blocked?
It sounds like there may be air in the system that needs to be bled out, assuming the radiator is fine

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
I agree with the previous guys. An air pocket is the most likely candidate. Try flushing the system well and making sure you get good flow through the radiator. Does your radiator get physically hot, or does it stay cool while the temp sensor shows overheating?

ECT is Engine Coolant Temp sensor.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Put a DVOM on the pink/white wire when the engine is cold. Should read about 5V DC.
Start the bike and as it warms up your voltage should drop to about 1.0v DC. Resistance of the sensor unplugged should be about 1000 ohms at 100 deg F.

Jack

CB650R
Jun 11, 2020
Riding Since
I agree with the previous guys. An air pocket is the most likely candidate. Try flushing the system well and making sure you get good flow through the radiator. Does your radiator get physically hot, or does it stay cool while the temp sensor shows overheating?

ECT is Engine Coolant Temp sensor.

Attachments

• 9E9274AD-C2B4-4ABB-87C6-5D1F6889B6B1.jpeg
    9E9274AD-C2B4-4ABB-87C6-5D1F6889B6B1.jpeg
    702 KB · Views: 31

Jack

CB650R
Jun 11, 2020
Riding Since
Which is just let it run, didn’t go anywhere and started to heat up

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Does the radiator itself get very hot? Try running it until it's hot like that again, then toss a little water on the radiator. Just a little in your hand and toss it; it doesn't need much. If it doesn't immediately turn to steam like it would on a hot pan on the stove, then you're not getting flow through the radiator. You may have plugged the radiator with slag while welding it. That would prevent flow, and cause the problem you're seeing. An air bubble can also produce issues like you're seeing.

Top Bottom