R.I.P. Neil Peart

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I am saddened by the news today that one of my childhood idols, Neil Peart, passed away on Tuesday.

Arguably, he was the best percussionist ever, and an extremely amazing lyricist. I first heard Rush in 5th grade with the release of "Moving Pictures" and was hooked! By 6th grade EVERYTHING in my bedroom was Rush, Rush and Rush - posters, magazine clippings, records...

A few months ago I watched the Rush documentary and...WOW!!!...what a trio they were. Humble, friendly and loving.

For those that don't know, Neil Peart lost his daughter while she left home to go back to college and crashed her car. 10 months later Neil's wife passes from cancer. Neil decided to jump on his BMW and just ride...and ride...and ride. I can't even imagine his pain at that point in his life but I definitely know how he found some kind of solace through 2 wheels.

Neil wrote a few books about his motorcycling experiences, pretty good reads. And, according to the documentary, he almost ALWAYS road from one concert to the next and ALWAYS had his motorcycle shipped with the tour gear if he wasn't riding it.

Stewart Copeland from The Police stated that Neil was, "...the most air-drummed-drummer..." and I believe it.

May he rest in Peace.

quote-when-i-m-riding-my-motorcycle-i-m-glad-to-be-alive-when-i-stop-riding-my-motorcycle-neil-peart-136-71-39.jpg

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
His bicycle travel books were amazing well,

Most people didn’t know he wrote all of their lyrics, and was also known to take drum lessons at various stages of his career; a humble guy who lived a life of tremendous highs and lows. Never got to see them live, I liked the band but was never a die hard fan until later years when I started to read his books and learned more about him. By then it was too late.

RIP, good sir.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I think I read he would follow their tour bus around on his bike during tours at times?

Yup, he did, and has a book about the experience. In the 70s or 80s he’d do the same thing but on a bicycle where they’d drop him off like 100 miles from their destination and he’s bicycle the rest of the way in. They scheduled tour stops and tour dates around his desire to travel. He said that was the only way he was able to stay sane while being on the road.

His books are great reads, I especially liked The Masked Rider, Ghost Rider and Roadshow. I see he’s got a few others I haven’t read, probably pick them up once the crazy dies down.

Last edited:

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
The older rockers leaving us. Bonham, Baker, Peart and Buddy Rich (earlier generation jazz) the best.
Add Gene Krupa (big band jazzer, 40's WWII generation) the pioneer...provided inspiration to ALL these guys that followed.

Jaw dropping, incredible sense of timing and proficiency, ALL. I was privileged to see all but Krupa in live settings.

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
Listened to so much of their music back in the day when I was in the Navy. Got me through many a mid watch. Gone, but may his rudiments never be forgotten.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
A great loss. While I never got into Rush, they were a major influence on many bands, including one of my all time favorites, Dream Theater.
I love Dream Theater, Petrucci one of my favorite guitar players. They would not exist without RUSH. Take some time and listen to 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres and you’ll catch the roots of most modern Prog Rock bands. Same with YES when Steve Howe was guitarist.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
GPJake @haqzore Devilsfan @Devilsfan I am not a drummer but I started playing guitar in the 80s mainly because of Alex. Even though most of the music industry moved from LA to Nashville in the 2000s, we still have a large number of companies here that support the industry. DW Drums is here in Ventura County, and my friend worked there when the R30 tour was kicking off. No one was allowed to speak to Neil when he came in (he lived in Agoura Hills, which is 20 miles from here), but the crew got to assist in the set up of the road kit. 24K gold hardware, and there was a platform that all the kit screwed into (which also rotated). I think he could have been fired for this! He now works for a boutique guitar maker and texted me yesterday about Neils death even before it hit the news wires. Very sad day for many of us.

HP0230.jpgHP0231.jpg

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Last Neil post, I promise! For those who never saw RUSH live, Neil‘s drum solos were a focal point of the show. When the tour would start, everyone tried to guess which song it would be stuffed into. It morphed into its own thing. This is the solo from the R30 tour. Turn up the volume!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
As moderators allow, post all you want!

Goes to show how beloved this man was. I've been discussing with friends and I'll say it again, as I've gotten older and what once considered some of these musicians/entertainers somewhat "saint-like" (childhood idiocy) I've realized they're just normal people with a specific talent and a lot of money.

And so far there's been only two in this genre that, hearing their passing, has given me a gut punch - Robin Williams and now, Neil Peart.

I've been reading many of the posts people have added on the FB pages and, there's just something different about Neil Peart. Like Robin Williams, you listen to what people say about him and it echoes the comments on Neil Peart - they never met him but felt like he was one of their friends.

Maybe it's who they were AFTER the performances - quiet, reserved, yet "just like everyone else". Listening to Neil in that interview say that he just wanted to be known as an "anybody".

I read one poster that said to the effect that, when he (poster) was a kid he witnessed his parents crying when Elvis died. He said he never understood what they were so upset about. But when he heard this recent news he had tears of his own.

Weird...crazy...but their talents had major influences on their fans. I'm no different. Still can't believe Rush will never be again. :sorry:

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Radio station here in the UK played the track The Spirit of Radio today, liked it a lot and had never heard of Rush before. In everyone's opinion which would be the best album to listen to first?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Radio station here in the UK played the track The Spirit of Radio today, liked it a lot and had never heard of Rush before. In everyone's opinion which would be the best album to listen to first?

1. Moving Pictures
2. 2112
3. Permanent Waves
4. Fly By Night
5. Signals
6. Exit Stage Left
7. All The World’s A Stage
8. Hemispheres
9. A Farewell To Kings
10. Grace Under Pressure

That’s my Top 10...listen in that order! Once you digest those, start on the next 10, starting with Power Windows and Counterparts.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida

Hard to say what to start with. Through their years they changed from vocals to sounds. Arguably, the most biggest album is Moving Pictures. "Tom Sawyer" was really the song that put them in the mainstream, which is from this album.

For me there was long years of arguing with friends what album was best. When they started going more "electronic" I LOVED it!!! Many of my friends would say they "sold out" to the 80's new wave. Either way they never veered from their musician talents, which only got better.

If you can find a good hits CD I'd suggest this:

b8484cf630c6db012ce888735c771480.jpg

Also, once you listen to the music I'd suggest Neil's first book, "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road". You will better understand the man and musician.

51lV8lssqeL.jpg

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hard to say what to start with. Through their years they changed from vocals to sounds. Arguably, the most biggest album is Moving Pictures. "Tom Sawyer" was really the song that put them in the mainstream, which is from this album.

For me there was long years of arguing with friends what album was best. When they started going more "electronic" I LOVED it!!! Many of my friends would say they "sold out" to the 80's new wave. Either way they never veered from their musician talents, which only got better.

Also, once you listen to the music I'd suggest Neil's first book, "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road". You will better understand the man and musician.

51lV8lssqeL.jpg
Absolutely excellent suggestion for anyone looking to get introduced to Rush. Liked some popular stuff, read the book(s) and immediately got them more. Grab the greatest hits, read the book and go.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since

Thanks Devilsfan I have ordered a copy from Amazon.
:)

Top Bottom