• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R R&G Tail Tidy video.

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
Hey,

Just did an unboxing and install video for the R&G Tail Tidy. One thing to note which I didn't know at the time, if you plan on riding this in the wet it throws up a lot of water over you. The pillion seat also gets very wet and it water manages to get under the pillion seat too. I don't think this is an R&G specific issue. I think all tail tidys' will do this (other than stock).

Other than that, it's a great unit and looks pretty cool!

Dan

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
It's no surprise then considering the horizontal bits of plastic the OEM number plate hanger has sticking out from its main beam, as this stops most of the water spray off the tyre. That is what has stopped me from considering fitting a tail tidy to a bike which is mostly my all-weather commuter.

Peteblue

CBR650R
Jun 5, 2019
I put an R&G tail tidy on mine, but so much water found it's way under the seat, where all the electrics are, I was worried about a failure, so I put the original tail back on.

It's an ugly rear end, it can't be denied, but I'd prefer to ride rather than break down.

I don't know how resilient the electrics under the seat are but I don't want to chance it as there was a lot of water in there.

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
I put an R&G tail tidy on mine, but so much water found it's way under the seat, where all the electrics are, I was worried about a failure, so I put the original tail back on.

It's an ugly rear end, it can't be denied, but I'd prefer to ride rather than break down.

I don't know how resilient the electrics under the seat are but I don't want to chance it as there was a lot of water in there.

Same, I'm back on the original number plate holder. Shame, just the way it goes I guess and the downsides of having a stumpy rear end!

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Sounds like poor design on R&G's part if its letting water in, I wonder how much testing they did.

Alape8

CB650R ABS
Aug 4, 2019
It's just the nature of no longer having a fender. If you squat down and look at the back seat, you'll see that there's a huge gap between the pillion seat and the body. Plenty of space for water and debris flung up from the wheel to find its way in.

Peteblue

CBR650R
Jun 5, 2019
Does the gap exist with the rear seat cowl on?

I don't know as I don't have the seat cowl fitted, but the issue is the gap between the top of the rear light and the bottom of the rear seat. It's only a few millimetres but it's big enough for lots of water to find it's way in. Would the cowl cover that? I doubt it.

The other issue is the power socket under the pillion seat, which also gets swamped.

I don't know if there is a way of fully waterproofing that gap as the rear light fitting isn't very stable and moves around easily.

Maybe in time a permanent solution is found, but at the moment I'm sticking with the factory mudguard, which isn't very nice, but at least you can't see it when you are riding the bike, and the rest of it does look fantastic.

Last edited:

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
I don't know if there is a way of fully waterproofing that gap as the rear light fitting isn't very stable and moves around easily.

I had always wondered if the rear light was supposed to move up and down as much as it does, and was going to look on the demo bike when I went back to the dealer but didnt get round to it. I presume it can move to dampen vibrations from the bike.

Nithesh

MotoGP
Apr 5, 2014
India
oem cowl covers that gap between pillion seat and tail lights

Attachments

• 20181106_124830917_iOS.jpg
    20181106_124830917_iOS.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 74

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
There certainly is quite a bigger gap above the rear light when the pillion seat (on the left) is used instead of the cowl (on the right). Still a small gap with the cowl though. The underside of the seat almost acts like a scoop above the gap.
While I had both cowl and seat out I weighed them, the cowl is 228 grams lighter so a bit of a difference.

CBR650 pillion.jpg

tzwoenn

CB650R
May 26, 2020
Hamburg
Riding Since
Do you guys have the flooding problem under the pillion seat only with r&g's tail tidy or also with the stock tail?

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
Sounds like poor design on R&G's part if its letting water in, I wonder how much testing they did.

I don't think you can really blame R&G for design choices on Honda's part. Any tail tidy would have the same issue. Would be interested to hear if the seat cowl solves it. Any takers?

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
I don't think you can really blame R&G for design choices on Honda's part. Any tail tidy would have the same issue. Would be interested to hear if the seat cowl solves it. Any takers?
Exactly right, it's not R&G's fault that there's a gap between the pillion seat and the tail light, and any tail tidy will likely have the same issue.

As to the seat cowl, there's still a gap with the OEM one:
1590530552455.png

My advice is to seal it with some window/door foam strip tape if water infiltration is an issue.

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
i think is designed like that so the light dont break by hitting bike parts,but i never had water infiltration so not a big deal for me

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
I worked out the water was entering underneath the tail light, as even with the cowl is was getting a little water ingress, so cut some rubber-like material into a strip and secured it in the gap under the light, no more rainwater gets in the tail section now. I dont have the R&G tidy but one that sticks out a bit to add a little more protection from water spray.

Hol

CBR650R ABS
Aug 16, 2019
I worked out the water was entering underneath the tail light, as even with the cowl is was getting a little water ingress, so cut some rubber-like material into a strip and secured it in the gap under the light, no more rainwater gets in the tail section now. I dont have the R&G tidy but one that sticks out a bit to add a little more protection from water spray.

Exactly this, I found the water goes in under the light too on my R&G tail tidy. My solution was duck tape, black duck tape looks best. Seems to work in the wet, but needs to be changed regularly. I was planning to try some black silicone sealant, but haven’t got round to it yet.

I emailed R&G about the problem, but never had a reply...

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
Exactly this, I found the water goes in under the light too on my R&G tail tidy. My solution was duck tape, black duck tape looks best. Seems to work in the wet, but needs to be changed regularly. I was planning to try some black silicone sealant, but haven’t got round to it yet.

I emailed R&G about the problem, but never had a reply...
Not R&G problem,the stock black ugly thing is there for a reason,once you remove it,you lose the protection,price u pay for the style like i always say,here im fine,in portugal is rare heavy rain,and if i see its going to rain,i take the car,so for me is not a big deal,evotech deserved my cash for the real tail tidy

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
The designers of the tail tidies could have done a better job I reckon. They could have designed it so that a section of metal goes between the underside of the tail and the tail tidy, as its the gap between the two through which the spray comes up and is able to enter under the light.

Top Bottom