• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Preload on spring?

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
If nobody here has yet, I would highly suggest watching David Moss on youtube, the guy is an absolute genius when it comes to motorcycle ergonomics, performance, and suspension. He is an absolute wizard.

With that being said, I notice now that my rear suspension on the 2018 CB650F is way too stiff for me. I have ZERO static sag. I know it is adjustable from Level 1 thru 7. Stock setting I believe is on #2?

Two questions
1) which direction is softer? Towards 7 - or towards the 1st step.
2) I am 220lb 6'4", what else has anyone near this size adjusted their suspension to?

Thanks!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
If nobody here has yet, I would highly suggest watching David Moss on youtube, the guy is an absolute genius when it comes to motorcycle ergonomics, performance, and suspension. He is an absolute wizard.

With that being said, I notice now that my rear suspension on the 2018 CB650F is way too stiff for me. I have ZERO static sag. I know it is adjustable from Level 1 thru 7. Stock setting I believe is on #2?

Two questions
1) which direction is softer? Towards 7 - or towards the 1st step.
2) I am 220lb 6'4", what else has anyone near this size adjusted their suspension to?

Thanks!
Towards the 1st or the least preload. I would rewatch some videos if you think yours is too stiff, and maybe measure your sag because the bikes springs are designed for someone under 175 lbs. I'm 6'3" 240lb and ran my CBR at the 3rd level riding by myself, 5 with a passenger and 6 with passenger and luggage. Then I redid mine with Ohlins front and rear, the absolute best bang for the buck on this bike.

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
I can promise you, you don't have zero static sag at 220 pounds on a 2018 CB650F. I'm 230 pounds, and have my rear preload on #5, two higher than stock, and still get plenty of sag. (I like a stiff suspension, even on cars.) If the suspension moves at all when you get off of it, it's got static sag. Ever get on it and notice that the side stand kinda pushes it more upright as you sit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom