• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Oxford Heated Grips

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Hi,

Can I ask if anyone has fitted or used the Oxford Hotgrips Advanced Sports version? Was the battery protection/ auto off any good? I’m terrible at remembering to turn grips off!

I am looking at a set for my CB650F.

thanks in advance.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Yes I have them fitted. I used the optional power connector at the front which turns off with the ignition, so a flat battery is impossible.

The grips are a great fit and work really well.

J

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Ah thanks. I take it that connector was something you had fitted?

I am looking at possibly using a relay. On my last bike I powered the relay from a feed from the rear light.

Did you have to shorten the Oxford grips? We’re they easy to slide on?

cheers.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
No the connector is stock. Search for "accessory power" on the forum. On the cb I think it's behind the left fairing panel.

On the cbr it's behind the headlight. No relay needed as it's fused at 7.5A

J

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
I have them connected directly to my battery. I haven't had any issues with them staying on. I'm not sure how long they stay on after turning the bike off, but the grips themselves are cold within minutes. For me, the battery protection feature works well.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Brilliant thanks. I’ll see if I can find the socket. Do you need a connector? I used R & G ones before on other bikes but the grips did wear quite quickly.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Ref my original post........

The grips turned up via Father Christmas......generous chap!!

Im looking at fitting them soon......

One question though looking at some YouTube Videos.......on the throttle side.....do you have to file or grind down any of the throttle sleeve to get the heated grip on? The videos seem to show the throttle sleeve has a number of raised areas/small lumps which obviously helped prevent the OEM grip from twisting around on the sleeve, but they will prevent the heated grip sliding on easily.

Anyine any experience of overcoming this with the minimal damage to the throttle sleeve. One of the videos shows the need to file these raised areas down.

Many thanks......

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
I filed down mine with a dremel. The Oxford grips come with some CA glue to ensure they don't twist on the tube. Mine hasn't twisted at all. You don't have to file it down completely smooth, but I don't think you can get the oxford grips on without any filing.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
I filed down mine with a dremel. The Oxford grips come with some CA glue to ensure they don't twist on the tube. Mine hasn't twisted at all. You don't have to file it down completely smooth, but I don't think you can get the oxford grips on without any filing.
Thanks very much........any top tips on freeing up the OEM grips off the bars? I don’t really want to just cut them off.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Stanley knife makes short work of the oem grips.

Yes grind down the throttle tube (p80 sand paper, dremel, file, whichever you have.

I tried CA (super)glue, it broke free after a year. Gorilla weld on the other hand is heat resistant epoxy which seems to fill gaps too.

Grips aren't going anywhere now :)

J

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Thanks very much........any top tips on freeing up the OEM grips off the bars? I don’t really want to just cut them off.
I cut mine off with a razor knife. It was a pretty simple process. If you don't want to cut them, try compressed air. Use a nozzle you can shove between the grip and throttle tube and give it a good shot of air. The grips kinda fit into those bumps on the throttle tube, so I don't know if the air will help, but it can't hurt.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Thanks all...........final question.......on the CB is there any secrets to getting the side panels off, any little clips that can be easily broken?

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
The side panels are held on by three screws. They are different, so make sure you put them back in the same place. If not, you can mess up the threads. Other than that, it's simple.

Top Bottom