• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Hello, now autumn is here I'm thinking about what to do with my cb650 in preparation for winter.
I still plan to ride it occasionally, although obviously less frequently than in the summer. Some questions then:

1. Winter protection - I've heard about ACF50. Is this the best stuff to use for protection in winter riding, or what should I be looking at?
  2. Battery - any recommendations for a plug in battery tender / battery optimiser?
  3. Fuel. If worst comes to worst and the bike sees no riding for 3/4 months, what is the best way to store it with E5 petrol, empty or tank brimmed?
This is my first bike so all experience gratefully received

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Not sure about item 1 but I can offer opinion on 2 & 3:

get a Honda battery tender (or equivalent) HONDA Optimate 3 Amazon product

put some Stabil in the tank, as little fuel as possible. STA-BIL (22205) Storage Fuel Stabilizer - Guaranteed To Keep Fuel Fresh Fuel Up To Two Years - Effective In All Gasoline Including All Ethanol Blended Fuels - Treats Up To 10 Gallons, 4 fl. oz. Amazon product

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I'm chime in... Battery tender as per above... An optimate 3/4/5 whatever is on offer. You can leave the battery in the bike.

Petrol... If you are planning to store it, put In some super unleaded so that the e5 content is gone. If you'd rather not, leave the tank low and add a gallon or two of fresh fuel before you start it up.

Acf50 will help keep the salt off the bike's paintwork.

J

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Thanks!
I'll start searching for an optimate now.
Currently have a tank full of 95 Ron so will use that up once the rain is less torrential then switch to super for the winter.

Haven't heard of stab-il before so going to look that up, I was worried mainly about the water leaching out from the E5 fuel, but didn't think it was likely to break down further in only a few months is this no longer the case?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I would definitely NOT run the tank low or leave it almost empty. Every winter storage prep I have ever read that was worth anything talks about how a full tank is better since air and moisture is what causes rust and to treat the fuel with a good stabilizer and/or run non-oxy. So regardless of whether you plan to ride it or not I would have a full tank.

That would be my suggestion, and I have done just that for 30+ years of winter storage. Never had a fuel related issues in that time.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Interesting as I've always had low fuel over winter in mine. That said I also have a dehumidifier in my garage to keep moisture down, so that's probably a factor.

Can't argue with any points raised, I've just not followed most of them 😂

J

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
I had read that it was better to brim the tank and add fuel stabliser to reduce the air in the tank. That's what I've been doing ay way.

I've been using Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit Additive/Stabiliser and it has a 10ml filler and you squeeze the bottle to add another 10ml which makes it easy to add what you need. ISTR it's 10ml for every 1 litre of fuel (so around 150ml for a 15l tank). Pour in an a near empty tank then fill with super unleaded (Shell or BP) and have a short ride back to get the stabliser through the system. Job done.

Last edited:

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
I think we're all in agreement about a tender. Make sure it's a true trickle charger, and one that shuts off automatically. You don't want to be constantly feeding electricity into the battery.

I have always heard keep the tank full. Bring the stabilizer bottle to the fuel station, and put it in the tank right before filling up. This helps mix it in evenly, and you also don't risk overfilling the tank with additional liquid. As others have said, keeping it full will keep air out as much as possible, which will cut down on corrosion.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Full fuel tank is an urban legend dating back to when tanks were externally vented. Newer, emission controlled vehicles use sealed systems for reduction of EVAP. if you put more fuel in, you’ll need more stabilant, no real mystery there. Regular unleaded starts to break down in 30 days and without it will be varnish by Springtime.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
I've now ordered an optimate so that's the first step done, thanks all.

This had been interesting, we have a car that we park up every year from sept-may and the only preparation is removing the battery. The tank is plastic so I wasnt concerned about rust so much, I didn't think 6 months would be enough to turn the fuel to varnish. I think I'll add some stabiliser to that too, now that I've been educated!

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
The condensation/corrosion argument that all the Moro-journalists use is a recycle of what someone else wrote, devoid of actual data.

tanks used to be steel, and corrosive, but the newer alloys and plastics are very resistant. Fuel contamination is a much bigger problem. Condensation is directly related to the climate. If your bike is in a garage that is not heated nd it’s below freezing all winter, the argument is moot.

case in point: my 600RR spent seven years in a garage in Ft Lauderdale, low fuel. Very hot and humid in the summertime. Damp and humid in the wintertime. Fuel cap most likely never opened. Is there corrosion? Yes, but minimal. The only way to prevent it would be to completely top off the tank. The fuel degradation would be a more pressing problem over extended periods.

bottom line: don’t overthink the condensation problem, fuel stability is the key. Look at the pics ducatiman @ducatiman has posted of carb rebuilds for evidence.

72AD9C82-847B-4768-91B5-9D8C24F24192.jpeg

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
The condensation/corrosion argument that all the Moro-journalists use is a recycle of what someone else wrote, devoid of actual data.

tanks used to be steel, and corrosive, but the newer alloys and plastics are very resistant. Fuel contamination is a much bigger problem. Condensation is directly related to the climate. If your bike is in a garage that is not heated nd it’s below freezing all winter, the argument is moot.

case in point: my 600RR spent seven years in a garage in Ft Lauderdale, low fuel. Very hot and humid in the summertime. Damp and humid in the wintertime. Fuel cap most likely never opened. Is there corrosion? Yes, but minimal. The only way to prevent it would be to completely top off the tank. The fuel degradation would be a more pressing problem over extended periods.

bottom line: don’t overthink the condensation problem, fuel stability is the key. Look at the pics ducatiman @ducatiman has posted of carb rebuilds for evidence.

View attachment 8828
I respectfully disagree. I’ve owned over 30 motorcycles in over 40 years of riding and store bikes anywhere from 5 months a year to years on end, always fill and stabilize my fuel and never had one that corroded at all like the picture above. That’s clearly air and moisture combining for corrosion. While the tank may be some alloy or other variant, lots of parts in the tank and fuel pump area are still steel.

Any bike I’ve ever had to work on in the spring for someone else was because they didn’t fill the tank or stabilize the fuel.

You do not need to fill the tank to the very top to stop it from corroding, just absolutely minimize the amount of air available to stop the process. The fuel tank and cap are vented to the outside air as well.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
miweber929 @miweber929 again, that was seven years of being left alone, salt air, high humidity. That same bike in AZ would react very differently.

my only point is fuel level is very subservient to environment and fuel stability. Put as much in as you want.

The systems vent under pressure, to accommodate heat expansion, not sitting in a cold MN garage.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
miweber929 @miweber929 again, that was seven years of being left alone, salt air, high humidity. That same bike in AZ would react very differently.

my only point is fuel level is very subservient to environment and fuel stability. Put as much in as you want.

The systems vent under pressure, to accommodate heat expansion, not sitting in a cold MN garage.
Again that’s where we disagree. I am certain, based on a lot of experience and research, that had your RR been stored with a full tank of non-oxy, treated fuel, you’d not have the corrosion. It’s not awful, but it’s still there. It was the amount of air allowed in the tank that caused it. I’m not only experienced in Midwest weather, btw.

But whatever.....op, you do whatever you see fit.

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Is it still recommended to use fuel stabilizer even if use high octane no ethanol fuel? Most of the videos mention that ethanol breakdown is the culprit for messing with fuel systems.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Is it still recommended to use fuel stabilizer even if use high octane no ethanol fuel? Most of the videos mention that ethanol breakdown is the culprit for messing with fuel systems.

the ethanol is absolutely corrosive, but only part of the problem.

Another urban legend revolves around higher-octane fuel being "better". Its only better if you are having detonation issues, which is indicative of another problem. Lower octane fuel lights off quicker (has a lower point of self-ignition) and is actually useful for running problems because it ignites easier.

When we get vehicles with running problems we take a fuel sample from the tank, inspect it for water, sediment and smell it. It will start to turn sour in 7-8 weeks of sitting around. In the old ducatiman @ducatiman carb days, bad fuel would be more noticeable as the mixtures were not super-controlled and the combustion process was constantly fluctuating. In FI vehicles, with higher pressure fuel delivered on top of the intake valve, bad gas will be masked for a long time until its really bad. I guess that's good news for the owner.

Bottom line, the fuel stabilizer will be your BFF, along with a battery maintainer. Don't fret over it for a couple of months of storage.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since

In Canada... I use Shell 91 as it doesn’t contain ethanol, other brands still have some ethanol in their premium fuels.
I use it in all my small engines, snow blower, lawnmower and my CB.
I don’t use stabilizer and have never have had a problem, my brother does the same but still uses stabilizer and has never had an issue either.
What I will probably do before my first spring CB start up is siphon the tank out (I have a few gas tanks) put fresh gas in the CB and pour the old gas in to my van.

Top Bottom