• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Oil. Oil everywhere.

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
So I went for aboit 50 miles this morning. It was a quick blast out and went up towards to high revs for a bit. When I got home I realised there were flecks of oil on my rear tyre. I looked under the bike and there was a film of oil around the oil filter, swing arm and on the aftermarket exhaust.

Checked oil levels and its good. No warning lights on dash. Bike has stood still for 7+ hours and not a drop has fallen on the drive.

Not sure where the oil has come from however someone has mentioned vacuum pipe may have come loose. Or it could be an over tightened chain (just had sprockets and chains replaced.) and a seal behind the from sprocket may have gone.

Where do I start looking? Do I lift the tank and check for loose vacuum/breather pipes??

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
If it's the filter, it'll probably only leak when running as it'll need pressure.

First step... Clean and degrease everything.

Then start it up and leave it idle for half an hour. Check the filter for signs of leaks.

If none, go for a quick ride, check while out if there's oil.

It could just be chain lube, so don't lube the chain for the first test to be sure (but don't do too many miles before lubing it).

You'll soon find the source of the oil.

J

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Cheers brammers. Will do all that tomorrow morning 👍👍👍

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I've said this before... You don't have a leak until you have a clean engine with a leak.

I was looking for a leak on my left engine cover for ages.

Turned out I had dripped some oil from the rocker cover when I checked the valve clearances. Oil travels far on a dirty engine block!

J

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
"Not sure where the oil has come from however someone has mentioned vacuum pipe may have come loose. Or it could be an over tightened chain (just had sprockets and chains replaced.) and a seal behind the from sprocket may have gone."

Had you not ridden since? Did somebody *overoil* the chain, using plain oil instead of chain lube in its maiden lube, hence the mess?

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
I have ridden it since chain and sprocket have been changed (about a week ago) but only to work and back (roughly about a mile each way)

However today was a proper ride out at a decent pace (very near maximum on a few long straights) . The first time it's been pushed since chain and sprockets.

I'll follow the above advice and try and find the source of the leak.

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
OK so I deep cleaned the bike this morning. Left it running and couldn't spot anything. Took her for a little spin pulled over and hey presto a little drop of oil running down the back of the oil filter.

Couldn't exactly pin point where its coming from but at least I've narrowed it down a bit.

Ordered new oil and filter. See if that improves the situation. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Cheers.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
If it's not splattered everywhere else, then likely a filter leak.

You could try checking it's done up tight enough (use a torque wrench). Before using the new stuff.

J

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
OK. After much cleaning and finding time to test out the bike the oil leak has been found. The K&n filter I fitted was 'sweating' oil when bike was hot. Obviously when I was pushing the bike hard it was 'sweating' alot. Oil change and new stock filter and its not been sweating since.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I wonder how may of those are because people use the nut to tighen the filter up. It's meant for REMOVAL ONLY :)

OEM filter and 3/8 drive OEM adapter tool - never had one leak in 6 years! My bike turns 7 in June 😲

J

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
I wonder how may of those are because people use the nut to tighten the filter up. It's meant for REMOVAL ONLY :)

OEM filter and 3/8 drive OEM adapter tool - never had one leak in 6 years! My bike turns 7 in June 😲

J
Out of interest Brammers @Brammers - do you tighten the oil filter to spec? 26Nm always seems overkill to me.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
The rule of thumb that I use is that at the point of contact add a 1/4 turn to snug up the oil filter, always remember to lightly oil the rubber gasket when you install and you should be good. But to each their own.

Top Bottom