• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Oil leak

Jamie Franklin

CBR650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Hull
Hello all,

wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I noticed an oil leak a few week ago Honda replaced the water pump o-ring where it goes into the crankcase. Been on it again and noticed it leaking again today after id had a ride out.
7C874403-6DBD-4FDE-9721-72F77AB905C9.jpeg65C6A096-AAE5-43ED-B2F3-2302DA0E26AC.jpeg

ghehen

CBR650F ABS
Jun 27, 2019
Vietnam
i've seen some of 650 owner faced this issue, they said dealer replaced pump o-ring and need to add extra sealant to completed fix this.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
My bike has the same oil leak. The dealer replaced the o-ring now for the second time with extra sealant and still it’s leaking. On the pic you can see the oil (it’s not as much as when it started to leak the first time, but its still coming out) The dealer is going to contact Honda for this issue.
40312323-8AC9-4C68-B5B4-9166BE01247B.jpeg

Jamie Franklin

CBR650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Hull
My bike has the same oil leak. The dealer replaced the o-ring now for the second time with extra sealant and still it’s leaking. On the pic you can see the oil (it’s not as much as when it started to leak the first time, but its still coming out) The dealer is going to contact Honda for this issue.
View attachment 6154

this will be the 4th time mine has gone back for this issue. They think they found a small crack in the engine casing where the pump goes in so they will be fitting new casing when it opens again. I’m hoping they just put a new engine in but will have to see

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
this will be the 4th time mine has gone back for this issue. They think they found a small crack in the engine casing where the pump goes in so they will be fitting new casing when it opens again. I’m hoping they just put a new engine in but will have to see

How many miles do you have on the bike ? And did the see a crack in the pump casing or in the engine?

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
After 7k(km),0 issues atm,sad to hear you guys having problems,honda replace but its annoying you have to deal with problems like these more than once :/

Last edited:

Jamie Franklin

CBR650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Hull
How many miles do you have on the bike ? And did the see a crack in the pump casing or in the engine?

Think I’m at about 6200miles. On the engine, I don’t have a photo of it unfortunately the dealer showed me a photo when I went in. Can’t see it unless you take the water pump out though

Jamie Franklin

CBR650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Hull
Are they considering a complete new engine swap?
Don’t think so, just the part they need. Hoping Honda just tells them to put a new engine. Think it’s pretty unacceptable and don’t expect a new bike have to have its engine took to bits

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Don’t think so, just the part they need. Hoping Honda just tells them to put a new engine. Think it’s pretty unacceptable and don’t expect a new bike have to have its engine took to bits

Yeah this is unacceptable! I’m going to call my dealer tomorrow and put some pressure on this case

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Update: today I drove to the dealership and told them that the bike is still leaking. They immediately did a thorough check an contacted Honda. they are going to install a complete new water pump. Fingers crossed

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Today I drove the bike home from the dealership, where they installed the new water pump. At home the bike was still dry (no oil leak). This weekend I’m going to put the bike through his paces. Fingers crossed 🤞

Jamie Franklin

CBR650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Hull
Today I drove the bike home from the dealership, where they installed the new water pump. At home the bike was still dry (no oil leak). This weekend I’m going to put the bike through his paces. Fingers crossed 🤞
Hopefully that will have fixed the issues for you! 👌🏻 I have to wait till lockdown is over till anything gets done with mine

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Damn lockdown! I hope also that this is the fix, I’ll keep you informed. My dealer is sending the old pump to Honda

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Today was a beautiful day so I put the bike through his paces. And the water pump was bone dry, oil leak is been fixed with the new water pump 👍

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
By the way, For those who suffer the same oil leak problem at the water pump! My dealer told me that the problem isn’t the O-ring but the inner seal that is leaking oil. This oil will leak than out of the bleed hole. So far I know, this bleed hole is for the coolant side of the pump! But my dealer told me that it works vice versa.

ghehen

CBR650F ABS
Jun 27, 2019
Vietnam
By the way, For those who suffer the same oil leak problem at the water pump! My dealer told me that the problem isn’t the O-ring but the inner seal that is leaking oil. This oil will leak than out of the bleed hole. So far I know, this bleed hole is for the coolant side of the pump! But my dealer told me that it works vice versa.
So can we fix the inner seal? 2017 and lots of 2018 650f are out of warranty. The cost to replace water pump is pretty high

Top Bottom