• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Oem Heated grips

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I prefer the look of these over the Oxford but im not sure about the price.

Any folks here have OEM grips and do they work well?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The only thing I've heard is that the cover for the controls tends to break.

The Oxford ones are great grips, you just have to find a good place for the control box.

J

mrtnbrks

CB650R
Jan 21, 2021
Riding Since
I’ve bought them, but not got around to fitting them yet.

Think the last thing I was looking into was what glue to use for the left grip.

I liked the streamlined look of them, unless you knew what they were you’d not know they were there.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I have the Bike Master heated grips. I liked the look better than the Oxford and couldn't beat the price. So hot on the hottest setting that even during winter you'd be hard pressed to keep it on that setting for long.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I had the OEM ones on my old ‘14 and had no issues with them, and I felt they got plenty warm. I also liked the integrated look and felt the grip material was a lot nicer than the ”plastic” grips Honda keeps putting on their Thailand built bikes. The price was pretty steep, however, but not nearly as crazy as the OEM Ducati ones……..

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
I’ve bought them, but not got around to fitting them yet.

Think the last thing I was looking into was what glue to use for the left grip.

I liked the streamlined look of them, unless you knew what they were you’d not know they were there.
What about double sided golf grip tape....just a thought.

maziro

CB650F ABS
Jul 3, 2020
Japan
Riding Since
I have been using the oem heated grips for 2 years. No electric issues, but I felt slippy than other grips. So I covered it by fishing rod grip sleeves.

A2C7CBB4-74A7-41D4-A661-6C1FC10E5EDD.jpeg

Sonx

CBR650F
I put Koso Apollo Heated Grips on my bike last month and they are working great. I chose them because the heat control is built into the grip itself. They are working great so far, I bought them from Amazon - here's the link:

amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4LW6Q3

If you go with them let me know, I definitely can provide some tips that I wish I knew before I installed them but they look and work great:

WiHSGTc.png

oSiEwT1.png

mrtnbrks

CB650R
Jan 21, 2021
Riding Since
I put Koso Apollo Heated Grips on my bike last month and they are working great. I chose them because the heat control is built into the grip itself. They are working great so far, I bought them from Amazon - here's the link:

amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4LW6Q3

If you go with them let me know, I definitely can provide some tips that I wish I knew before I installed them but they look and work great:

WiHSGTc.png

oSiEwT1.png
Fair play, they look lovely. What the wiring like?

Sonx

CBR650F
Fair play, they look lovely. What the wiring like?
the wiring is clean. I don't have any good pictures right now but I might be able to get some when I strip it down for a valve check in a few weeks.

basically, the right grip wire connects to the left grip wire, and you have to wire it through the fairings/frame along the left side.

mine is cabled tied to the throttle cable near the grip then looped through the frame along the left side to the battery. I connected the positive to an ignition only wire and the negative to the battery so I won't accidentally leave it on and drain my battery. the wires aren't at all visible when assembled.

below are the only pictures I have to help visualize from when I was doing a spark plug replacement:

W0gvMBO.jpg

Mhs0MfI.jpg

mrtnbrks

CB650R
Jan 21, 2021
Riding Since
the wiring is clean. I don't have any good pictures right now but I might be able to get some when I strip it down for a valve check in a few weeks.

basically, the right grip wire connects to the left grip wire, and you have to wire it through the fairings/frame along the left side.

mine is cabled tied to the throttle cable near the grip then looped through the frame along the left side to the battery. I connected the positive to an ignition only wire and the negative to the battery so I won't accidentally leave it on and drain my battery. the wires aren't at all visible when assembled.

below are the only pictures I have to help visualize from when I was doing a spark plug replacement:

W0gvMBO.jpg

Mhs0MfI.jpg
Looks like it’s a lot cleaner than the Honda ones.

If I hadn’t already bought the Honda ones these would tempt me.

mrtnbrks

CB650R
Jan 21, 2021
Riding Since
Any feedback on what the Honda ones are like, heat-wise?
When I just had the grips on I don’t think I ever went higher than the medium setting and even then I would knock it back to the lower setting quite quick.

I did buy some Trip Machines leather grips and put these over which absorb some of the heat so have it medium or high now.

But thinking I might the leather grips off soonish as they wore really bad from one wet weather trip.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Good to know, maybe I'll save up as I like the OEM Integrated controller

Miffy

CB650R ABS
Mar 21, 2020
Riding Since
Hi Patent,

I installed the OEM heated grips about 3 months ago - The kit includes paper work which allow you to download a comprehensive installation manual
The kit for the CBR650r is in two parts (two seperate part numbers from memory)
Only thing you require extra is grip glue and some iso alcohol to help remove the old rhs grip (took a few hrs to install) there is an excellent link on youtube for this kit too. They work well.

Mark

Peteblue

CBR650R
Jun 5, 2019
I prefer the look of these over the Oxford but im not sure about the price.

I've not had any problems with them and they are warm. I had them fitted as standard when I bought the bike in May 2019, and although they are more expensive than the Oxford grips, in my eyes they are preferable and there doesn't seem to be much available space on the clip-ons available where the Oxford grips can be mounted.

It's the first bike I've owned with heated grips, and I can't fault them. They work fine as far as I am concerned.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I had Oxford heated grips fitted to Honda CBF1000FA and CB650F and they were good. Honda dealer actually recommended Oxford over the Honda grips.

jorelplay

CB650R
Jul 13, 2020
I had the installed by the dealer, because the installation guide is a bit complicated and I didn't want to start removing the tank (that's what the instruction says) on my first, brand new bike. Other grips required sanding down the throttle tube to make it smooth, which I also didn't want to do.

The OEM one look good and I usually only use them of the first level. If it is colder, I'll switch to the second. In the beginning I actually burned my hands on the 3rd (default) level. It did hurt for a few days.

I like them, the only downside being the complicated installation and the price.

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
In the beginning I actually burned my hands on the 3rd (default) level. It did hurt for a few days.

Unrelated, but I bought a super fancy "zero gravity heated massage chair" some years back, and the heat never worked. Eventually I found that the wire to the heater element was unplugged. After plugging it in, I discovered that it went to excess of 150F (!!! holy fvck !!!) and would burn within minutes through the padding and surface regardless ... no wonder it was unplugged, lol. Anyway yeah, heated pads and such have resulted in a lot of burns because people don't realize that 107F is slowly cooking them, it just feels extra warm and doesn't hurt. The trick with heated things is not to feel warm ... just not to feel cold, that'll save your flesh.

Top Bottom