• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Odd experience today

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
I went for a long ride today which was a lot of fun. What wasn't fun was having the bike stall at speed many miles from services. After pulling the bike to the shoulder and shutting it off, I took a look to see if there were any issues. Not seeing or hearing any, I tried to restart the engine, which did quite easily. The check engine light stayed on, however, so the next 60 or so miles were quite tense for me. It seemed to run fine at all speeds and at idle, after the stalling problem. It ran really well before too. So, not sure. Took the bike to a shop I trust to have them get a code, to which they were unable (no reader). Light came off when I left the first place. Went to the dealer nearby where I actually bought the bike, they said it was a trouble code for "both ignition coils". So, unknown. Could be "bad gas" or something worse. I was accelerating at the time it stalled and I did hear it pinging a bit just prior.

Any thoughts or similar problems? Bike has 20,800 miles and is a 2018.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Bad gas does not set DTCs for ignition coils. You most likely had a momentary electrical connector malfunction (pins lose contact, wires get pulled a bit, etc). Double check to make sure all connectors are tight and secure. Also check the both connections at the battery to ensure they are tight.

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
Bad gas does not set DTCs for ignition coils. You most likely had a momentary electrical connector malfunction (pins lose contact, wires get pulled a bit, etc). Double check to make sure all connectors are tight and secure. Also check the both connections at the battery to ensure they are tight.

I will check those out. Hopefully it isn't a big deal.

Top Bottom