• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

Not an owner...yet!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Hello forum!

Currently ride a 2018 Kawasaki Versys 650. Bought it brand new a little over a year ago. Put 15K miles on it so far.

Long to short...after some maintenance and add-ons I've come to realize the Versys...is a piece of crap! (This is my personal opinion based on my personal experiences!) It's got excellent fuel mileage (5.7 gal tank with over 250 miles per tank), handles great (took it through The Dragon), it rides really nice even on the highways.

Why the bad Versys review? Because when it comes to maintenance, pull out your wallet!!! It took 5 days/air ratchet-Pitbull stand-sockets purchase just to get the front sprocket nut off, which is COMMON on this bike yet Kawasaki refuses to fix this. Valve adjustments...forget about it! Take it to the shop instead! I'd rather pull out my finger nails, it'd be less painful! Etc...etc...

Anyway, a few years ago after riding Suzuki cruisers pretty much my entire adult life, I purchased a 2007 Honda VTX 1300. Loved that bike...until a group ride determined it's demise. Took the insurance money and bought a used VTX1800. Rode that for a month before I traded it in on a brand new 2015 Honda CTX700, manual. Loved that bike and kept it for 3 1/2 years. Then I found a used 2007 Suzuki V-strom. Great bike and got me interested in the ADV-style bikes. Traded that on a Honda NC700X with DCT. Couldn't get used to the DCT (although it's a fantastic invention!) so traded the NC for my current 2018 Versys. (Sold the CTX also.)

Then I picked up an old 2007 EX500 for my nephew to learn to ride. Fixed that thing up and he never used it. So I did, and had a blast on that thing!

So...I never thought I'd go from cruisers to ADV's to sports bikes. But I did! And now I want another Honda as I know them, I know their quality and I just feel (mentally) more comfortable with a Honda. I went to a local dealer today and straddled a 2018 650F. Although it felt like I was a little over the handlebars I'm thinking a) I can get used to a different position, b) the videos reviews have been very positive and c) IF I should get one the first mod would be a new seat!

I hope you all can tell me HONEST opinions on what you think compared to the other brands (Z650, FZ-07, SV 650).

What makes Honda the better one?

Thanks for having me!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Have a search around, there’s a lot of us that have come from, ridden and played on some of the bikes you are comparing it too and have done comparisons already.

The quality is there, but know this isn’t the older Japanese built Honda so it’s lacking a bit of the polished refinement most Honda’s have had and their higher end models do. Still better than most manufactures but know there’s a reason this series of bike is affordable.

And asking us about a bike we all purchased is a bit redundant, we’re all going to tell you how great this bike is, right? And if you ask an SV board they’ll tell you how shitty this bike is compared to theirs. Your best bet is to read reviews, test ride and decide what fits him best. Honestly, in today’s market you can’t go wrong with anything.

And welcome!!!!

Reactions: GJP

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Appreciate the response! I have reviewed a lot and, so far, the Honda is getting good reviews...but so are the others! Decisions, decisions...

I like honesty. And I'm on the Versys forum and I am BLUNTLY honest!!! Some disagree with me but there are others as well that tell things as they see it. And I'll ALWAYS be the first to admit when I'm wrong!!! In other words, I'm hoping to hear the good and the bad for these Honda's. ALL MOTORCYCLE'S have good and bad!

I understand how there'll be bias on a particular bike forum but isn't that more of a bad thing? For example, on the CTX forum there's a few that discuss how the power is lacking for specific situations. That's not a knock, per see, against the bike itself. It's just explaining it's limitations. Also, and I use the CTX forum again, many have problems with a tiny pin within the DCT transmission that will sideline the motorcycle until fixed. This is a common problem but needs to be discussed. Informing (possibly) new riders about the issues, whether easy-fixes or headaches, is just being truthful...something everyone should appreciate!

So, that's what I was hoping for from y'all. Nobody has to bash the CB650's but just give the good/bad, high's/low's, etc... With that said, I understand how everybody is different and we all prefer specific things. What's good for one 5'10 / 185 lb rider might not be good for the other rider!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Appreciate the response! I have reviewed a lot and, so far, the Honda is getting good reviews...but so are the others! Decisions, decisions...

I like honesty. And I'm on the Versys forum and I am BLUNTLY honest!!! Some disagree with me but there are others as well that tell things as they see it. And I'll ALWAYS be the first to admit when I'm wrong!!! In other words, I'm hoping to hear the good and the bad for these Honda's. ALL MOTORCYCLE'S have good and bad!

I understand how there'll be bias on a particular bike forum but isn't that more of a bad thing? For example, on the CTX forum there's a few that discuss how the power is lacking for specific situations. That's not a knock, per see, against the bike itself. It's just explaining it's limitations. Also, and I use the CTX forum again, many have problems with a tiny pin within the DCT transmission that will sideline the motorcycle until fixed. This is a common problem but needs to be discussed. Informing (possibly) new riders about the issues, whether easy-fixes or headaches, is just being truthful...something everyone should appreciate!

So, that's what I was hoping for from y'all. Nobody has to bash the CB650's but just give the good/bad, high's/low's, etc... With that said, I understand how everybody is different and we all prefer specific things. What's good for one 5'10 / 185 lb rider might not be good for the other rider!

If you've been looking around you should have run into most of it:

Cons:
- The fasteners and alloy parts can corrode easily
- Stock tires are crap
- It vibrates in varying degrees that gets better with mileage
- Some people don't like the designs of the two major iterations: the R and F models. Good thing there are both
- Some think it's too sporty, some think it's too tame
- Some people think the bars are too high, some think they are too low, most like the overall seating position
- Once you get aggressive, the suspension shows its limitiaions
- There are no slip ons available, ifs you want a pipe, prepare to pay for it
- Can lack overall power, it's a 650 that's low reving

Pros:
- Its overall a GREAT bike
- Tours well
- Sports well
- Commutes well
- Solidly built
- Does two up very well for a sport bike
- Great, smooth transmission once you set the shift lever right
- The low and mid range pull followed by the top end rush, great powerband
- Easy to work on
- Honda reliability

Really, that's it in a nutshell. It's a great bike, not much more to add. Try one and decode what you think of it.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Thanks Mike! Although I read this AFTER I got home...on my brand new 2018 Honda CB!

As always, got a great deal on my Versys trade-in and a great price on the Honda. This is my 3rd bike from Tampa Bay Powersports. Love dealerships that take care of you every time!

48015903622_89a6195dea_c.jpg

Junior J

CB650F ABS
Jan 19, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi if I can add my two cents on this had a few bikes and last was FZ/MT 07 and like your Versys not sad to see it go, Had and R6, Speed Triple , FZ06 and an SV650 , XJ6n and GSR 750 after my Honda 125.
SV was old school semi faired which was great pretty good on twisty Scottish roads and OK in city. Suspension needs worked and costs to do, the MT 07 was a regret from start (test ridden old model which felt better). Front end is super light and lacked feedback, fuelling was suspect despite dealer and trusted independent dealer looking at it. Wheelies for fun in first three gears but one of reasons I disliked it as much I don't mind wheelies but not every time I open throttle, had a go on bro-in laws MT09 even worse at front end.
Wanted a 650F but missed out so now going to cb650r instead.
Read somewhere online a good point SV650 , Z650 and MT07 are all good in own respects but can part with too much money aftermarket to get to Honda quality and handling . Considered SV650 but seat needs rework right away and rear shock is weak link, MT07 is a good bike but research swing arm rot same with XSR700 have mentioned fuelling issue already. Z650 is like other two needs an exhaust to be heard and shocks a bitch to adjust quickest way allegedly is to remove shock to do this..........
Honda has a little more weight and stability all round, my local dealer is great and close by which helps but sitting on new CB650R just felt like had been tailored to fit me in a way.
Another positive about Honda was went to Triumph , Ducati dealers and was basically ignored in each may have considered a Monster but clearly wrong type of biker same with Triumph. Reassuring to me walked through door at Honda and salseman shouts to me "how you doing still got Xj6n I sold you" so can see how easy it was for me to go back.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Another positive about Honda was went to Triumph , Ducati dealers and was basically ignored in each may have considered a Monster but clearly wrong type of biker same with Triumph. Reassuring to me walked through door at Honda and salseman shouts to me "how you doing still got Xj6n I sold you" so can see how easy it was for me to go back.
I agree, a good dealer, and even a good salesperson or service department, can make or break a deal or a distaste for a certain brand. Growing up we had a local mom and pop Honda dealer nearby and they and their family were as much a part of our family as anyone was. When the old man died over this past winter my dad and I were talking and he brought up something that made me think: these places aren’t selling a product, they’re selling memories. Things like family time, alone time, happy places, unwinding devices, falling in love with your significant other machines, a way to see the world and all it has to offer, etc. It may seem a bit overly romantic or cliche but think about what an ATV, motorcycle, boat or RV does for you, your family, your health and your life, it’s a big thing.

I can tell you J @Junior J that it can go both ways, though, and not only Honda dealers can be great because my local Ducati and Triumph dealers have for the most part all been awesome, better than most Japanese only dealers, which has made my decision to own both makes a much less concerning deal. And Jake, the guy who I’ve bought the last few bikes through as has my dad, turned a dealer I HATED going to into one I love going to and he asks me about my last ride, last trip, my dad, my wife, whatever and they’re a Ducati, Triumph, Honda Yamaha, Polaris and soon to be Indian dealer. He’s the reason I go there and why sent several others there.

On the flip side this nice small town Honda, Yamaha and Triumph dealer I bought my 600RR, 650F and another bike I forget through was great to deal with until I stopped buying something new every year and bought my Thruxton elsewhere; he called me out of the blue one day a year or so after my last buy, gruffly asked me if I was buying something this year. When I said no, I liked the stable I had at the time so it was staying a season or so he literally huffed, said well, I guess that’s fine, hung up and I’ve not heard from them in 3 years. And I’ve not driven the extra hour I was giving them business.

So it’s not a make thing, but a service thing.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I agree, a good dealer, and even a good salesperson or service department, can make or break a deal or a distaste for a certain brand. Growing up we had a local mom and pop Honda dealer nearby and they and their family were as much a part of our family as anyone was. When the old man died over this past winter my dad and I were talking and he brought up something that made me think: these places aren’t selling a product, they’re selling memories. Things like family time, alone time, happy places, unwinding devices, falling in love with your significant other machines, a way to see the world and all it has to offer, etc. It may seem a bit overly romantic or cliche but think about what an ATV, motorcycle, boat or RV does for you, your family, your health and your life, it’s a big thing.

...So it’s not a make thing, but a service thing.

Yep, I totally agree! And the guys at Tampa Bay Powersports are great! The parts department is a riot. We're always busting on each other and some of them have me in stitches! I deal with the sales manager directly. He knows exactly where I need to be, price-wise, before I even inquire. When I bought my CTX there back in 2015 I was, literally, on the phone with the Honda dealer closer to my house that I just came from. They had a 2014 CTX and were asking $400 more than TBPS. I called them and asked if they could do better as I was sitting on a 2015 for $400 less. All the guy said was that he couldn't talk over the phone and I'd have to come up there. I said, "Thanks, but no thanks!", and bought my newer model CTX from TBPS.
Back in March of last year I rode down to check out a possible trade for my NC700X with 45K miles for a 2016 V-strom. They also had a 2018 Versys that I wanted more but was more money on their website so I knew not even to ask. Heck, I didn't even think I could get a good deal on the V-strom! The sales manager came out with numbers for the V-strom and then says, "What do you think of that Versys? If you like it I can get it for you for $2,000 cheaper than the older V-strom.". I said, "Where do I sign?!?!".
Same as my new CB. I knew what my Versys was worth and didn't think they could even come close to a trade-in so I told them that I didn't mind waiting another year for the Versys value to go down and make any trade-in a wash. Instead, he paid me exactly what the bike was worth on KBB and got me $1,000 of the price of the Honda. (I know, some can do better but to me, I am happy with the deal!)
They gave me $150 off the OEM side cases for the Versys. Gave me a free expandable tail bag from the CTX purchase, when I bought my RPHA helmet they only had the more expensive colorful models. The parts guy gave me the helmet for the price of the single-color helmets, ALWAYS get a discount on parts and accessories and take me back into the shop to watch them work on my bike - which I think is an awesome "service"!
My take - even if I have to pay a few dollars extra, to me it's worth it! They're just a great motorcycle dealership!

Oh...and they always give me a gift card for buying a new bike!

Junior J

CB650F ABS
Jan 19, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
Agree Miweber only thing for me is Ducati / Triumph dealer is distant relative he's related to my bro in law and he has always said wouldn't buy from him too. As their cousins and can't get family through door think I may have lucked out there but experience was surreal.
A quiet Tuesday and clear day but February in Scotland not sunny climes of the world. Showrooms open and 6 sales staff there not 1 even spoke to me in 45 minutes. Tried to approach two but one walked off other went back to desk stared at computer screen figured if this is the mark they set, glad the will never do too much work on my bike. Can't say mechanics are same but the sales team are front of house and make that first impression.
I live in a small country but location means all major bike dealers are 45 minutes max from me so can happily choose. Worked in hospitality for a time but not now. In UK at times we still need to learn customer is king rather than surly blank stares or shrugs of shoulders, contrast Jim in Honda feel like I'm waking into a friends house for a chat.
I agree bikes make memories and help with some other stuff in life I work in an environment with homeless kids and it can be tough. Put on my gear jump on my bike and go for a ride come home chilled and happy. An uncle sadly passed not long ago with dementia every time I visited talked about bikes he had from 50's like it was yesterday from him.Brought some tears but we both love bikes and there's a bond which others including care home people didn't get. Near then end when I went in first thing was "hows the bike son" mighta asked another 50 times but still knew what we had in common and bikes never left him.
Devilsfan that looks a cracking bike you got there.

Top Bottom