• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Noise - when ignition off

Kilak

CBR650F ABS
Nov 19, 2018
Hey guys - I was sitting out near my bike tonight and thought I could hear slight noise coming from it. On inspection I could hear it every 55-110 seconds (timed 6 times), similar sound to the fuel pump when turning on the ignition but it would only last a second or so. I grabbed my key and turned on the ignition and I heard the same noise while I could also hear the fuel pump (therefore I'm assuming it's something else).

Any ideas? Do they all do this? It's the first time I've noticed it?

Cheers!

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
Hey guys - I was sitting out near my bike tonight and thought I could hear slight noise coming from it. On inspection I could hear it every 55-110 seconds (timed 6 times), similar sound to the fuel pump when turning on the ignition but it would only last a second or so. I grabbed my key and turned on the ignition and I heard the same noise while I could also hear the fuel pump (therefore I'm assuming it's something else).

Any ideas? Do they all do this? It's the first time I've noticed it?

Cheers!
Some guys have had a wheezing coming from the fuel cap ?

Alarcon

CBR650F ABS
Jul 31, 2018
Spain
Hi Kilak, yeah same from here. I think it is pretty normal after a ride, there are some posts on the forum relating the same noise. 1 second noise from the fuel cap every 40-50 seconds. If you open it up, you'll hear something similar to a Coke can opening.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
That's just the tank equalising pressure from the fuel that was used.

Newer bike have the evap can, which may cause other noises (but they would be centred around the front of rear wheel.

J

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
If you open it up, you'll hear something similar to a Coke can opening.
If you hear a whoosh when you open your fuel cap you need yo look for a blocked or kinked vent hose because there shouldn’t any pressure inside your fuel tank, especially if the bike is off. A SMALL bit of pressure would be in there but not enough to hear like opening a can of soda.

Have you lifted your tank? Any chance a bug made a nest in your vent tube(s)?

You have an ‘18, a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Op, there have been reports of several people noticing little noises after the bike has shut off, one is linked above. If it’s minor, it’s somewhat “normal” or at least common.

Alarcon

CBR650F ABS
Jul 31, 2018
Spain
If you hear a whoosh when you open your fuel cap you need yo look for a blocked or kinked vent hose because there shouldn’t any pressure inside your fuel tank, especially if the bike is off. A SMALL bit of pressure would be in there but not enough to hear like opening a can of soda.

Have you lifted your tank? Any chance a bug made a nest in your vent tube(s)?

You have an ‘18, a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Op, there have been reports of several people noticing little noises after the bike has shut off, one is linked above. If it’s minor, it’s somewhat “normal” or at least common.

Well maybe "opening a can of soda" is a little bit excessive, you are right. Let's say it sound more like a 1 sec cicada sound... Never lift the tank by the way.

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
I could hear like a constant small noise on mine to then when I lifted up my petrol cap I could hear air escaping abit like a can of soda but half as loud like u guys said so I just hope it's normal

Kilak

CBR650F ABS
Nov 19, 2018
It's a electronic sound, similar to a buzz from a relay. The bike had been sitting for at least 6 hours since last running.

I haven't heard it since, but then I haven't been out there sitting by in the dead of the night.

Top Bottom