• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Nail in tire what to do?

Uncle Meat

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
May 11, 2020
London
Riding Since
I've plugged many tyres that have lasted until the they needs changing. Never had a problem.
The plugging kits these days are rather good imho.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Most tyre shops in the UK for example, won't plug a ZR tyre on safety/liability grounds.

Michelin are the only manufacturer to state that plugging their ZR rated tyres is safe. Others recommend disposal.

Obviously they sell more tyres that way.

There are lots of documented cases of mushroom plugs outlasting a tyre perfectly well. But as a staff member, I feel obligated to err on the side of manufacturer's recommendations.

J

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
Ahh, a tricky slope with this one. Even manufacturers don't always agree.

It's a personal choice, but I would probably repair temp and replace long term.

Rogue

CBR650F ABS
CBR650F
Sep 3, 2017
St Albans, Herts, UK
I also run Michelin Road5s. I am comfortable running tyres that have been properly plugged after a puncture.
Having said this though if you can afford to replace the tyre and doing so removes and lingering worry form your mind then perhaps you should go that way.
Nothing worse than riding with anything but full confidence in all of the equipment underneath you.

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
I just had the same thing happened last month on my brand new bike and I replace the tire to be safe. That’s what my bike shop recommended as well.

Top Bottom