My dash cam purchase finally paid off.

zirgs

CBR650F ABS
Aug 22, 2014
Connecticut, USA
Riding Since
I first bought a GoPro after a near-miss with a deer 6 years ago. I had a lot of fun with it, but it proved to be inconvenient to constantly hook up, swap batteries, keep charged, etc. So for daily use, after much hesitation I finally bought the Innovv K2 dual-camera dashcam system. It's pretty expensive but no-maintenance and nice for peace of mind.

Last week, it finally caught something worth recording: I was running a short errand around town and a black bear leaped out in front of me! I slowed in time (still my original brake pads after 6 years, 5 track days and 21k miles, haha) so no problems. The bear, my 650F and I are all well and happy. This one video makes the $300 investment worth it for me.

Makes me consider installing one on my other bike too. But hopefully I never need the cameras for anything else!

Edit: The built-in GPS says I was going 46mph just before slamming the brakes.

Last edited:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Imagine if that bear had stopped!!! 😬

I have the Bullet HD dash camera. Bought for $150. I think they're priceless!

Also have a $20 car dash camera for my truck. You just never know when you're going to need that video evidence!

Both can be hooked up to record when the bike/car turns on. A great investment, IMO!

zirgs

CBR650F ABS
Aug 22, 2014
Connecticut, USA
Riding Since
Yeah, definitely some luck involved! If I had hit it, at least I would have scrubbed a lot of speed. But I might be typing this in a cast under a new bearskin blanket. 😬

I'm going to look into the Bullet since I may be in the market for another system. Probably for my car too like you said.

Where is your 650's camera mounted? Mine's on my left mirror mount. I wanted to hide it below my headlight but I couldn't find a good bolt where it would be hidden but not be at risk of hitting the front fender with the forks fully compressed. I know the CB is a bit different, but curious what worked for you.

Edit: Oops, I meant to quote you.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Yeah, definitely some luck involved! If I had hit it, at least I would have scrubbed a lot of speed. But I might be typing this in a cast under a new bearskin blanket. 😬

I'm going to look into the Bullet since I may be in the market for another system. Probably for my car too like you said.

Where is your 650's camera mounted? Mine's on my left mirror mount. I wanted to hide it below my headlight but I couldn't find a good bolt where it would be hidden but not be at risk of hitting the front fender with the forks fully compressed. I know the CB is a bit different, but curious what worked for you.

Edit: Oops, I meant to quote you.

I have mine mounted up along the left cowling. The lens has a plastic base and they give you the dual-sided 3M tape. I run the camera wire under the cowl and under the tank to the power module under the seat.

The Bullet HD's are hard to find but I got mine from eTrailers.com. Also, they sell those $40 ones on Amazon and eBay. To be honest I'd bet these are just as good as any other!

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Quick word of advice: Take the SD card out and make sure it's actually recording periodically. I had a dashcam appear to be working, but it wasn't actually recording to the SD card, so it was completely ineffective.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I started off using a Sena helmet mounted all in one camera bluetooth headset. Worked well and over the years the only downside is the battery life (down to about 1.5 hours) escpecially as I use it to listen to music on my phone and record video/audio in 1080p. I travel with a lightweight 10000mah powerbank in my jacket with a cable runing up the inside exiting the jacket roughly around the collar. I found some magnetic male and female usb adapters so I can easily click the cable in place even with gloves on. The power bank ensures I get a week or two using the camera before I charge the power bank.

The headset has caught alot of incidents which I will not post as I am not a fan of incriminating people. I have seen people go the wrong way around a round about towards me. People driving the wrong way down a two lane motorway at me. and people pulling out of juntions as I was riding at 20kph down a clear open street in broad daylight. ( we have some bad drivers round who can sometimes be hostile to cyclists/motorbikes).

I recently installed innov k5 4k camera front and rear on the cbr650r. It was a challenge but worth it. The mic and GPS unit are under the fairing beneath the lcd dash (plenty of space there). if anyone wants advice or tips i would be happy to help.

2022-12-11 01_46_52-20220719_105438.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-12-11 01_47_40-20220719_130349.jpg ‎- Photos.png
2022-12-11 01_48_06-20220719_105451.jpg ‎- Photos.png

Attachments

• 2022-12-11 01_48_06-20220719_105451.jpg ‎- Photos.png
    2022-12-11 01_48_06-20220719_105451.jpg ‎- Photos.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Top Bottom