All 650's My bike became a monster!

fogducker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Hey folks,
So I have been on and off cruising/commuting to work on my bike whenever I could find the slightest chance in the cold weather of Toronto.
Today was a bit warmer, so I properly geared up and hit the roads. This is when I realized my bike feels completely different comparing to last season! I could wheelie at second gear! and the performance of the bike was like never before. 0-100 was around 3 and some change.
FYI I changed to an Akra "last year" along side with a PCV and a Generic Akra map (leaned the AFR when off throttle to prevent pops and crackles - from 1750 rpm and up) and never ever did it feel this vicious.
I recently blocked PAIR Valve intake hose ( from the airbox with a blue tick ) which really stopped most of the loud pops and kept the quieter rumbles.
I have also pulled the plug and re-installed my Akra with new copper gaskets (hell of a project).

other than that, nothing else has changed ( I have dropped couple of pounds tho :D )

>Now I am confused? Can it be because of the colder/denser air?
>It's a 2018 model with 6k km on the clock. has the engine finally broken in and everything is working at its full potential?
I have no clue. Please let me know if this also happened to you.

Cheers
Sam

Last edited:

myarza

CB650F
Sep 1, 2019
Had a very similar experience riding today as well. Also just installed Full Akra and PCV using the canned dynojet map. Unfortunately when i installed the full exhaust I didn't have new gaskets so those are on the way. I had a similar felling all day today, but then again its been a while since my last long ride. But these upgrades do make a noticeable difference.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'm gonna say this, only because as dumb as it sounds there is some truth to it, but if you bundled up and threw on a pair of thick gloves sometimes that can cause you to throttle harder and not even notice you're doing it!

I know when I've had thicker gloves on, like winter gloves, the entire throttling and braking feels very different. So, if this is the case, you may just have lost some of the "feel" on the bars and could be cranking that throttle harder than you're thinking you are.

Then again...it may be that new exhaust!!!

fogducker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
I'm gonna say this, only because as dumb as it sounds there is some truth to it, but if you bundled up and threw on a pair of thick gloves sometimes that can cause you to throttle harder and not even notice you're doing it!

I know when I've had thicker gloves on, like winter gloves, the entire throttling and braking feels very different. So, if this is the case, you may just have lost some of the "feel" on the bars and could be cranking that throttle harder than you're thinking you are.

Then again...it may be that new exhaust!!!
Same gloves. Akra was changed a year ago and never gave the same feeling. I also adjust the throttle free play but still .... it wasn't a minor difference. I was scared for the first time on this bike!

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
Kelowna B.C. Canada
Snap! My 2018 cb650f feels significantly stronger upon waking it from winter storage here in B.C. I had a no start issue when taking it out of storage. It was stored with fresh gas to the top with stabilizer and it was run through into the injectors. I had to get the Honda mechanic to get it started. He recycled the fuel pump over and over and finally it started. I figured somehow there may have been a restriction in the fuel pump perhaps that settled over winter to cause the no start, and now that it is cleared, the bike runs better than ever. The difference is palpable, much like you describe. Strange.

fogducker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
All engines do. Cold air is more dense, meaning more per cylinder which means more fuel which means more power.

J
So based on what you said, is it worth to change to BMC air filters? More air, more power? Even in hotter days?

RoadSafeRider84

CB650F ABS
Jun 13, 2018
All engines do. Cold air is more dense, meaning more per cylinder which means more fuel which means more power.

J
Yh totally get that more (or more dense) air equals more bang. I Feel like it's more noticable with some engines than others?! Certain cold days my bike and a few cars I've had in the past feel significantly more eager, with others it's barely noticable. I do wonder if its partly due to excitement / fear factor when you know the surface is cold?! Who knows 🤷‍♂️

fogducker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
LATEST UPDATE:
It’s all about the baffle!! When its out I get that crazy bang out of my bike... tested several times. Baffle in very smooth but tamed...

fogducker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
well,i guess im not feeling that so,if i remove the baffle i need like turn off the bike close to a cop so i dont get a ticket xD
Sorry mate,
Thankfully we inherited all the laws and the constitution from UK and France but not this one:)

CrazyTugz

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal,Faro
Sorry mate,
Thankfully we inherited all the laws and the constitution from UK and France but not this one:)
the problem is with portugal laws really,even an euro4 full legal exhaust we can get a ticket,because the vehicle documents says the bike have the stock exhaust,but there is no way to register an exhaust to the document,like,the laws here about it are so contradictory,some cops have bikes and just ignore if not to loud,other probably the wife divorced him and man,even because the tail tidy you get a ticket,exemple spain,exhaust fitted,inspection,and if its ok,you good,here forget it ahaahha

Top Bottom