Moto Gymkhana

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
The SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) has run their autocross program for many, many years. It's a timed event that is usually run in a large parking lot and emphasizes handling over speed. The courses are laid out with cones, feature a lot of turns, a slalom, speeds rarely get over 60 mph, and a whole run usually takes about a minute to complete. Depending on your class and the number of entries, 4-5 runs are typical, and your best time is recorded. Quickest time in your class wins. I think it's generally a lot of fun, and one of the best ways to develop good car control.

I keep thinking something similar for motorcycles would be awesome. Moto Gymkhana is a thing in Japan, but I've never seen anything like it in the United States, and am not familiar with any organizations that run one. Has anyone done or seen something like this locally? Even outside the US, I'm curious if this is something going on anyplace besides Japan. If so, who organized it and how was it? Do you think there would be interest?

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
there are some around, this one is in CA. i am not sure how they can remember the course. i seem to remember it has to be memorized, no course markings...

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
there are some around, this one is in CA. i am not sure how they can remember the course. i seem to remember it has to be memorized, no course markings...
That's how autocross works as well. You walk the course first before the event begins, and try to memorize the layout.

The event you linked looks like a lot of fun. The courses they run are even tighter than auto-x. Imagine how awesome a torquey naked bike like a Duke 890R would be to whip around a course like this:

I wonder about starting a club in my area, if anyone would be interested. Seems like a great low-risk way to enjoy some competition and develop some serious bike control skills.

Top Bottom