• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

Matt from Melbourne

Matthew Neylan

CBR650F ABS
Nov 6, 2017
Melbourne
Hey guys and girls,

Thought I'd introduce myself after putting 6000k's on my 2017 cbr650. Just finished a solo camping trip on it around south east - ish NSW and VIC. I can definitely say that its a great sport tourer, it even was quite bearable on the canberra to melbourne grind on the hume.

Kreiga tailpacks are infallible, easily strapped my swag ontop of that, anyone else done anything similar?gdr.jpg

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
Good looking bike and congrats on the distance so far.

I haven't done any camping trips on mine. My time spent camping is usually with the wife & kids, so we take the cage.

Matthew Neylan

CBR650F ABS
Nov 6, 2017
Melbourne
ahh thanks,
yep, love the idea of pannier bags, but I do way too much sketchy lane-splitting on the daily commute into the city. but that Nelson Rigg though, still eyeing that off!

Duncan - LAMS, fully licensed yet restricted for a little longer, Let my L's expire ages ago, left the country for a while riding big bikes in Canada, and when I came back I had to start from scratch.

by all means though it is not under powered still cruises on 120-130kph fine, you just miss out on the high rpm power really - still on the fence about de-restricting, although may aswell as I plan on keeping it for a long time, Its just such a good all rounder! it even took 40kms of corrugated dirt road like a champ

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
ahh thanks,
yep, love the idea of pannier bags, but I do way too much sketchy lane-splitting on the daily commute into the city. but that Nelson Rigg though, still eyeing that off!

Duncan - LAMS, fully licensed yet restricted for a little longer, Let my L's expire ages ago, left the country for a while riding big bikes in Canada, and when I came back I had to start from scratch.

by all means though it is not under powered still cruises on 120-130kph fine, you just miss out on the high rpm power really - still on the fence about de-restricting, although may aswell as I plan on keeping it for a long time, Its just such a good all rounder! it even took 40kms of corrugated dirt road like a champ
I wish honda did it non-LAMS or did Both, it's such a good bike to not have more sales.
There is a thread or 2 about derestricting, for when you are ready.

Matthew Neylan

CBR650F ABS
Nov 6, 2017
Melbourne
yeah I know, or at least a factory de-restrict upon owner license confirmation.

Oh Australia and her rigid policies...

I think its something to do with the market too, I don't think there is much of a market for simple, powerful, economical bikes. It's either a $3999 ride away cb125 or a $30k bells and whistles competition, I blame cashed up retiree's haha

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
it seems to me that many segments are shifting in the last few years.

the biggest WTF for me is a small market like Australia having a LAMS 650 when you can get a CB/R500 for $3000 less. Honda seemed to want to match the LAMS 650s of the others but I'm not seeing many of them on the road, like I do CB/R500s and Ninjas. I would have put the 650 in against the Kwaka 650 (non-LAMS) and watched all the returning riders and the guys wanting a cheeper to run mid size (ie not an RR) revitalise the 650 urbans sports/sports tourer segment.
the next is that the only super sport below 800cc is the non-LAMS Kawasaki 650. gifted.
the next is the wild swing to nakeds. (and cafes). this one seems global by the looks of EICMA 2017 so the sales teams are going to be all over that again.

How is Victoria for doing the de-restriction. NSW is a No and QLD is a Yes.

Matthew Neylan

CBR650F ABS
Nov 6, 2017
Melbourne
Hah yes oh christ the 'classic' look from EICMA

from what the tuner told me, simple call up to vicroads, notify them and it just changes to 'no' in LAMS section. Victoria is pretty good with modifications. I once changed the motor on my supra from NA to turbo ( full engine swap), notified them of the exact change leaving no detail and it was fine, which obviously means 'P-plate friendly' = no.

I'd assume so Jerry.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
Hey guys and girls,

Thought I'd introduce myself after putting 6000k's on my 2017 cbr650. Just finished a solo camping trip on it around south east - ish NSW and VIC. I can definitely say that its a great sport tourer, it even was quite bearable on the canberra to melbourne grind on the hume.

Kreiga tailpacks are infallible, easily strapped my swag ontop of that, anyone else done anything similar?View attachment 966
I love those gold engine covers man.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
You unintentionally summoned me by writing the word "gold" :cyclops:

You have a good looking bike there Matt! (trigger warning) It seems like you picked the right colours :p

I love those gold engine covers man
Yes, the golden parts and the black swing-arm are a really nice update imo. Imagine they would also keep the rider and passenger footpeg areas black....

"I assume the LAMS bikes are identical to the A2 restricted bikes in Europe"
Power wise yes but it seems like we have it much easier and cheaper with restricting/de-restricting as only throttle restrictions or "ECU flasher plugs" are used.

And we can only buy the full power version and restrict that.

Last edited:

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
I assume the LAMS bikes are identical to the A2 restricted bikes in Europe, so that expands the market for that bike quite a bit.
yes, LAMS is the A2 model.

you would think it would expand the market for the A2/LAMS, but a CBR500R is LAMS and $3000 less so, it's a tough ask when to derestrict puts the bike within the price range of a 600RR.
It pisses me off that such a good bike is at challenged a price point

Can you derestrict in NSW but then move the bike to another region that doesn't allow it? Does the updated registration go national?
J
the other way around, but yes. NSW are the difficult ones where as QLD and VIC do allow the bike to be modified. but you can visit NSW as they flag the VIN at the registry.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
yes, LAMS is the A2 model.

you would think it would expand the market for the A2/LAMS, but a CBR500R is LAMS and $3000 less so, it's a tough ask when to derestrict puts the bike within the price range of a 600RR.
It pisses me off that such a good bike is at challenged a price point

the other way around, but yes. NSW are the difficult ones where as QLD and VIC do allow the bike to be modified. but you can visit NSW as they flag the VIN at the registry.

That doesn´t make sense at all.....not what you wrote, but the actual situation.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
not balls at honda to put our 650 in as one of the few non-LAMS bikes.
they could get the soft upgrade and returned rider guys that don't want an RR or a 800cc+ bike.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
not balls at honda to put our 650 in as one of the few non-LAMS bikes.
they could get the soft upgrade and returned rider guys that don't want an RR or a 800cc+ bike.
Fair point, I mean that´s basically what the 650 is about and the reason it exists.
Honda currently seems to do weird stuff in general. Sure, some models do pretty well (scooters will always be a thing, the 650 seem very popular in some places, the new updates of the 500s look pretty solid and the Africa Twin was a successful rebirth.
And while the Goldwing also has it´s hardcore fans and the CB1100 will conquer some retro hearts for sure there seems to be that gap.
And while Honda always was a bit more of a subtle brand the current lineup leaves me scratching my head.

There´s not that much above the 500s and maybe 650s that appeals to the bigger part of possible "younger" customers.

Up top there is the Fireblade left, but just look at the competition.

With that in mind it surprises me even more that they miss said opportunities even with their existing lineup........

Matthew Neylan

CBR650F ABS
Nov 6, 2017
Melbourne
You have a good looking bike there Matt! (trigger warning) It seems like you picked the right colours :p.

hah makes it even more reliable yeah?

Keep in mind though the 650 is the only (bar cb400) 4 cylinder LAMS bike with abs on the market in Australia, thats what sold me, plus easily derestricted... which i just caved into, dropped it off this morning to get tuned.

Top Bottom