Lucky Boy

matt650

CBR650F ABS
Sep 5, 2018
Bedfordshire
Events over the last couple of months have meant the father in law has decided he won't be riding bikes anymore. This is really sad as he has always loved his bikes and he was a big part of me doing my license. He has just turned 70 and has had a shoulder rebuild meaning he doesn't have the strength to muscle bikes around anymore. He has two bikes that he has owned since new and has decreed that i can effectively 'have' one of them (more on the other in a moment). As such we have got the bike out of storage, got it MOT'd and re-commissioned and back on the road. To say i'm excited is a massive understatement.

The toy:

ZXR Side.jpg
ZXR Front.jpg
That's a 1990 G reg ZXR750 H2!!!!

I feel so privileged that I get to ride something like this. It has 11.5k miles on it since new and is absolutely immaculate. Such a raw riding experience and what a noise!! Even on the standard pipe it has a throaty growl which is so addictive.

I'm getting used to the riding style as it is a bit more laid down than the CBR and everything is a bit more racy but for something i was genuinely a bit daunted of, it was quite easy to ride. It has an early version of a slipper clutch which takes the edge off the downshifts and going up through the gears it such a pleasure. The lever needs about 10mm of movement to shift cleanly and full on no clutch upshifts are so good. Powerwise, it has about 120hp which as you all know is more than enough for the road. It doesn't quite have the tractability of the CBR from lower revs, but get it above 8000rpm and it is something else!!!!! Handling is so good though and i'm amazed it gives me the same levels of confidence as the CBR.

Oh, and the other bike i'm not allowed to ride, is a 1999 ZX7-RR. Owned from brand new, 9.5k miles and virtually unique (as they were race replica's for the WSB and most have been written off . Apparently it's an absolute animal. Hates being below 6k revs, and just wants to be leaned hard into all corners. He's going to sell it if anyone is interested. Excellent condition and expected to get north of £20k if the right buyer comes along.

matt650

CBR650F ABS
Sep 5, 2018
Bedfordshire
Thanks guys, it really is pretty amazing to ride. So raw.

Oh, but the brakes!!! Never underestimate how much brakes have improved over 30 years!! They still work okay, need a pretty firm pull to stop but bearing in mind this bike was cutting edge when it was new, the CBR650 brakes are amazing!

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
- and the rear hugger , rear mudguard and bodywork over the rear wheel, brilliant - none of your tail tidies there :D

Top Bottom