• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Low Beam

M.L.

CBR650F ABS
Jul 9, 2019
All,

Hi!

...just purchased from Honda Dealer a 2014 CBR650F two weeks ago, with 6000/miles on odometer...been noticing low been flicking on and off (doesn't do it all the x, noticed once last week & yesterday pulling in garage), bulb is a: Philips H4, 12342, ED, 12V 60/55W, E1, 2C3, U, 3M 04, Germany, probably too much info:).

...could it be the bulb is about to go dead; read that somewhere, thinking about just purchasing a new one...load testing battery and normal...I'm not mechanically inclined...taking bike to local Honda dealer next week to get a once over since I bought from another Honda dealer 400+ miles away from home.

...thoughts?

...thanks in advance.

v/r
M.L. Mosley

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Could be the bulb or it could be a loose wire. If it's flickering more when you're riding then maybe the loose wires are shaking.

Never hurts to replace the bulb, especially after 4 years! I NEVER changed a bulb in any of my motorcycles until, one night, I was riding my CTX over to Cracker Barrel for dinner. It was evening and the sun was going down. Some guy in a truck coming the opposite direct was beeping and pointing at me. I thought he was just complementing my Honda CTX! I got to the restaurant, ate, and when coming out it was dark by then. I fired up the bike and...darkness! I was able to use the high beam but the low was gone.
Since then I always carry a spare bulb in my tool case! They're pretty easy to replace if you can get your fat hands in between the triple tree and headlight assembly!
Also, try the high beams and see if they're flickering as well.

I'd start with the bulb replacement first and go from there.

M.L.

CBR650F ABS
Jul 9, 2019
Could be the bulb or it could be a loose wire. If it's flickering more when you're riding then maybe the loose wires are shaking.

Never hurts to replace the bulb, especially after 4 years! I NEVER changed a bulb in any of my motorcycles until, one night, I was riding my CTX over to Cracker Barrel for dinner. It was evening and the sun was going down. Some guy in a truck coming the opposite direct was beeping and pointing at me. I thought he was just complementing my Honda CTX! I got to the restaurant, ate, and when coming out it was dark by then. I fired up the bike and...darkness! I was able to use the high beam but the low was gone.
Since then I always carry a spare bulb in my tool case! They're pretty easy to replace if you can get your fat hands in between the triple tree and headlight assembly!
Also, try the high beams and see if they're flickering as well.

I'd start with the bulb replacement first and go from there.

...only had the bike for two weeks, & haven't done much night riding, but it did do it once while on my way home @ night last week...of course it could be doing while riding during day, but obviously I wouldn't notice.

High beams seem ok, just low. Before I got off bike in garage last night, low beam went out, then back on, even when I got off bike & it was stationary, low beams still kept going off/on in no particular rhythm...turn on high beam's & no problem...going out 4 a ride tonight, not far, will use high beams to see what happens, sure it's going to annoy someone:-(.

...good idea about carrying spare bulb, I keep one in my car, never thought doing same for bike, duhhhhhhh!:))

...yeah, looks a lot tighter space to change bulb compared to my ole CBR300, but I'll give it a whirl...over three years changed twice on 300.

...tks!

Top Bottom