• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Loud/clunky shifts, getting stuck in neutral

irsidewinder

CB650R
Dec 23, 2019
A positive note on this gearbox is the easy to put it in neutral (from 1 or from second gear).
From first to neutral is no problem, but from second to neutral is almost impossible on mine. Drops straight through to first, no matter how hard I try.

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
I'm not a professional rider by any stretch of the definition, but I very rarely have any issues shifting. And when I do- it's always because I shifted sloppily. Are our gearboxes really that finicky?

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
I'm not a professional rider by any stretch of the definition, but I very rarely have any issues shifting. And when I do- it's always because I shifted sloppily. Are our gearboxes really that finicky?
No not at all, it just need a positive shift motion. Only if you’re sloppy it can cause some false neutral. You don’t need to be a professional rider to understand the shifting, just feeling and a positive gear change

halfmt1

CB650R
Nov 9, 2019
This may sound dumb and not apply here, but I have noticed that my choice of shoe makes a difference in the shifting responsiveness. I have a pair of shoes that I wear sometimes when riding that are soft, and they flex and absorb some of my shifting motion against the shifter. When I wear these shoes as opposed to a more rigid pair, the shifting feels vague, and I get the 1-2 shift difficulties. When I wear a more rigid shoe, things feel much better and the shifts are improved.
Like I said this might not apply here, just something I have experienced.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
This may sound dumb and not apply here, but I have noticed that my choice of shoe makes a difference in the shifting responsiveness. I have a pair of shoes that I wear sometimes when riding that are soft, and they flex and absorb some of my shifting motion against the shifter. When I wear these shoes as opposed to a more rigid pair, the shifting feels vague, and I get the 1-2 shift difficulties. When I wear a more rigid shoe, things feel much better and the shifts are improved.
Like I said this might not apply here, just something I have experienced.
I feal similar differences, but I imagine the difference is in what I feal, not if shifting precision itself.
Using riding boots gives me a much more positive feal of shifting.

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
Looking forward to seeing your input. That item has been on my "might try someday" list but I haven't really had a need aside from the potential of using it as a preventative measure.

EuroBadger

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2021
Riding Since
I decided to try the snake oil while at the mcn festival.

View attachment 12226

I'll let you know if I feel an improvement with it fitted.

J

Looking forward to seeing your input. That item has been on my "might try someday" list but I haven't really had a need aside from the potential of using it as a preventative measure.
I can testify that it works and it works big time. The only two issues I have are: 1. No shift supporter in this world will save you from falling into neutral when not giving enough gas between 1st->2nd. 2. The thing actually makes shifting so short and smooth that I almost miss the original "ka-chik" sound & feel. Now it's more like "bop" and you're on the next gear.

MotoDonner

CB650R ABS
Feb 10, 2021
Riding Since
Ironically I think adding a quickshifter did more for the shifting than the shift holder.in my case

And it wasn't even a big difference
130€ quickshifter
vs
97€ shift holder

Though maybe combined they actually resulted in an improvement, can't tell though

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Can someone describe the mechanics of what the shift support is meant to do / improve Vs stock linkage?

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
The stock linkage protrudes a bit and some believe that the vertical torque on it could lead to damage over time. The support is basically just a thick metal sleeve that is supposed to help restrict that movement.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
The stock linkage protrudes a bit and some believe that the vertical torque on it could lead to damage over time. The support is basically just a thick metal sleeve that is supposed to help restrict that movement.
Hello.

My bike is new and I can see the gearbox shifter drum input shaft, moving up and down during shifting actuation.
Although, shifting works very well, using the Honda OEM 10W30 JASO MA.
Nevertheless I can´t judge if this movement / play can cause any problem or shifting imprecision. I tend to believe Honda engineers know a bit about tolerancing. Nevertheless I can´t see this causing "damage" because there is a needle bearing below the seal and the shaft rotational movement in minimal.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, the metal sleeve we are talking about has also a needle bearing inside, right? I tend to believe this additiona support makes sence.
Please share if you feal in real world it is really improving shifting precision.

TIA

Last edited:

EuroBadger

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2021
Riding Since
Hello.

My bike is new and I can see the gearbox shifter drum input shaft, moving up and down during shifting actuation.
Although, shifting works very well, using the Honda OEM 10W30 JASO MA.
Nevertheless I can´t judge if this movement / play can cause any problem or shifting imprecision. I tend to believe Honda engineers know a bit about tolerancing. Nevertheless I can´t see this causing "damage" because there is a needle bearing below the seal and the shaft rotational movement in minimal.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, the metal sleeve we are talking about has also a needle bearing inside, right? I tend to believe this additiona support makes sence.
Please share if you feal in real world it is really improving shifting precision.

TIA
Yes the aftermarket shift supporter also has needle bearings. It really smoothens and shortens the movement of the shifting pedal. Once the shift supporter is installed, your bike will instantly shift the moment you touch the gear pedal with the tip of your toe. It's almost too quick and short for me that I actually prefer the original feeling.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Yes the aftermarket shift supporter also has needle bearings. It really smoothens and shortens the movement of the shifting pedal. Once the shift supporter is installed, your bike will instantly shift the moment you touch the gear pedal with the tip of your toe. It's almost too quick and short for me that I actually prefer the original feeling.
Thanks for sharing.

In fact I'm tempted to install one of these guides. "I believe" that minimizing the shaft moving play will make the shifting feal more accurate, but other way, as I said, my bike shifts very well! I have a good positive feal. Well, from 1st to 2nd not so much, but I find it normal as this transition is not really a gear to gear transition like the rest. Nevertheless, with hot engine, it´s also good enough for my expectation.
One day I might test it :)

Top Bottom