• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Loud/clunky shifts, getting stuck in neutral

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
bishop @bishop - Can you send a link? I've been looking for months and all are backordered.
You should look at the ebay picture and compare with your CBR650R. I don't own a CBR650R

The F version may fit, but NOT sure.

Where ever you buy one, don't forget to grease the bearings with thick grease.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
You should look at the ebay picture and compare with your CBR650R. I don't own a CBR650R

The F version may fit, but NOT sure.

Where ever you buy one, don't forget to grease the bearings with thick grease.
From What I can tell, there are two styles to purchase, and you can mount in two different ways.

But please look at your bike and compare before buying.

Here's a picture of the mount points.

1633534141648.png

n3xus

CB650R
Jul 16, 2021
Riding Since
@ N n3xus - did the one in the link you posted fit without issue? When I select the 2019 CBR650R it states its not compatible.
I bought one from that link and I had no issues installing it. Very easy, make sure to use grease.
Im pretty sure this product fits on alot of different hondas. Take a look at the racetorx website, they list theirs as compatible with like 20 hondas. Ive seen the same ebay one listed for sale for other hondas as well.
Not my video, but this guy shows how to install it.

Last edited:

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
I bought one from that link and I had no issues installing it. Very easy, make sure to use grease.
Im pretty sure this product fits on alot of different hondas. Take a look at the racetorx website, they list theirs as compatible with like 20 hondas. Ive seen the same ebay one listed for sale for other hondas as well.
Not my video, but this guy shows how to install it.

Perfect, just what I and other users need to watch!

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I'll admit it. I was a bit skeptical, but this is now hands down the single best upgrade to the CBR650. All the vagueness and sloppiness is gone instantly. I can't believe its such a difference with a $25.00 eBay part. Shame on Honda for not taking the initiative and doing this from the factory. To anyone considering this just do it. You won't be disappointed.

honda_cb_650f

CB650F
Jan 16, 2021
Riding Since
I'm ordering one of these -- I get the occasional neutral shift so this would be nice to solve the issue.

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
I never had problems with false neutrals but the Racetorx is 100000% worth it. It's something else..love it.

Last edited:

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
I have a 2014 cbr650f and I had trouble from the start changing gears. They were sort of going halfway or skipping a gear. Yes, I thought it was me at first and I got so mad at myself that I bought a new Bikers fully adjustable rear set and never looked back and I haven't missed a gear in 7 years.

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
I only occaisionally struggle with a false neutral, however it is annoying. I'm currently waiting on my Quickshifter to arrive from Japan, Do you think its worth getting the RaceTorx and getting Honda to fit everything at the same time?

Like I said, I don't really struggle too bad, but I would love to get rid of that issue completely.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I would definitely recommend getting a shift shaft support. Not sure if the racetorx is really worth the premium over the ebay versions that are 1/3 price, but it made a huge improvement on my bike.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
This seams to be a benefit to newer 650r models. My 2014 650f shaft just doesn't seem to flex at all.

Different tolerances on the newer models maybe?

J

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Mine didn't seem to flex at all either. I tried to move get it to move even a little before I broke down and ordered the shift shaft support. I honestly felt zero flex, but this completely changed the feel while shifting. I can't really explain how it works, but it does.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Mine didn't seem to flex at all either. I tried to move get it to move even a little before I broke down and ordered the shift shaft support. I honestly felt zero flex, but this completely changed the feel while shifting. I can't really explain how it works, but it does.
It’s impossible to feel the movement/flex by hand or feet, but still the Racetorx shaft support makes a noticeable difference. The extra bearing support on the shifting shaft does the job.

EuroBadger

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2021
Riding Since
Yes I have the Racetorx shift support and I felt it did make a noticeable difference. It was worth the investment.
I also have the RaceTorx Shifter support. I like it. It makes sense :)
Also got the RaceTorx Shifter support. It did make a noticeable difference. Also adjust the gear lever height and chain slack. Adjustable levers will help with the free play/bite point. Ps a to tight chain will cause a slow gear enchantment, to much slack will cause for a clunky and inaccurate shifting gearbox.
I never had problems with false neutrals but the Racetorx is 100000% worth it. It's something else..love it.

I installed the Racetorx Shift Support on my CB650R yesterday, and instead of helping with my false neutral it made my neutral a freaking 1.5th. Now I can't even shift from 1st to 2nd without saying hello to the neutral and I'm really flabbergasted because everyone else is praising this product. No it's not the shifting rod's position and no it's not the pedal's position. I can legit feel an additional clunk that prevents me from going from 1st to 2nd.

Top Bottom