Loud CB?

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
If your exhaust is loud enough to scare the shit out of pedestrians or making people roll up their windows just to hear themselves think...then you're being an azzhat!
Quoted because I can't say it any better.

I drive a diesel dually. Sure I can tune it to fill every intersection I go through with enough soot to block out the sun, but I don't. Bikes with loud exhausts are just the biker's equivalent of rolling coal. Nobody likes those big lifted trucks rolling coal at every intersection and stop sign, except the guy driving it. And nobody likes big loud obnoxious bike exhausts, except the guy riding the bike.

Because I live in a world with other people, I try to be as non-intrusive as possible. It's not because I care what other people think of me. It's because I don't want to live in a world where everybody is as abrasive as possible. I want to live in a world where people are as helpful and considerate as possible. To accomplish that goal, I have to be as helpful and considerate as possible. Making my vehicle so loud that it's heard a mile down the road is antithetical to that goal.

Now I understand wanting to make your bike your own. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Mods are wonderful and I highly recommend looking into them. But if half of the vehicles on the road were bikes, and half those bikes had a loud obnoxious exhaust, you'd be sick of that sound and complain that you can't hear yourself think. That's what your big loud exhaust does to everyone that can hear it.

ducatiman

CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
If your exhaust is loud enough to scare the shit out of pedestrians or making people roll up their windows just to hear themselves think...then you're being an azzhat!
Quoted because I can't say it any better.

But WHY the compulsion to attract attention? Something deeper perhaps?

ducatiman

CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Huh? but just 24 minutes ago you posted ..."says the guy with the baffle-less, race Akrapovic system"

Wow, a quick swap, eh?

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Huh? but just 24 minutes ago you posted ..."says the guy with the baffle-less, race Akrapovic system"

Wow, a quick swap, eh?
It was a shlong related joke, I'm not putting the stock one back on the Akrapovic cost me a fortune. I'll take the 2 incher please 🙋

If I felt like I had to compensate for "something" I'd have bought a Harley! 😂 😂 😂
Haha, i did genuinely want a Harley when I started learning to ride, the whole idea of cruising on a laid back, old school, torquey bike really appealed to me and I'd seen them around a lot up the Brecon Beacons near where I live. But reality hit after I went to a showroom and sat on an iron 883. I looked wildly out of place on it, this skinny guy at 11st., just over 6ft, elbows touching his knees and the bike weighing 10x more than I did. The salesmen looked embarrassed to have to deal with me, dressed up as a typical Harley rider himself. Glad I dodged that bullet as a first bike.

Last edited:

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I would agree that there are “exhausts“ that are ridiculously loud, Toce is one, and THOSE are freaking annoying, unnecessary and give us all a bad name. And those that remove their mufflers and run open pipe should be punched in the face on sight.

An unbaffled Akra at idle, however, shouldn’t be awful. At full scream, yeah, but for the most part Akra is a responsible company that doesn’t make overly loud pipes (anymore). Sone people don’t like motorcycles, and will always scowl.

My loud pipe story? My first brand new bike was a ‘98 Honda Superhawk and I was after some high mount pipes for it that first year of owning it. Being a broke young guy I bought a used set of Two Brothers pipes that had been in a wreck on the left side and needed a little TLC so I painstakingly bent the Aluminum hanger bracket back straight, bought a new sleeve and end cap, replaced them, polished everything up over a winter and they were ready to go the next spring. I mounted them, and they. Looked. Sweet!!!! Seriously, looked absolutely incredible on that bike. Fired it up in the parking garage and like 4 car alarms go off. Ok, understood, fire it up outside next time.

Grab my helmet, gear, suit up and head out. Man, thing is still loud but, uh, ok. Start out on my ride and I have EVERYONE looking at me as I go: farmers in tractors, other drivers across the road, police, you name it. I lived in Madison, WI at the time and within 5 minutes of starting out I’m in the country riding through small towns. Every town I went people are looking at me: some good, some not. More not than good. Kids are holding their ears as I go by. Parents are shaking their fists (seriously had a guy shake his fist at me) and I get off at a gas station to grab a drink and relax. That’s when I realize just how loud everything was: my ears were ringing. Bad. This was before I wore ear plugs. Buy a set of ear plugs and head back out, heading towards Wildcat Mountain.

I hit a small town right before WC, Reidsville (or something?) and decide to grab lunch. Pull in and park. As I’m pulling off my helmet a local cop pulls in and stops. Says great bike, sounds nice, I heard you about 2 miles away, BTW. We talk a bit more, he's cool and says yeah, they draw attention big time, better not speed. I go to eat and realize I can’t hear anything. I start the bike. Again, kids are plugging their ears, people are startled in the parking lot as it starts and I realize as a guy making about $600 a week I just blew $600 plus dollars on pipes I can’t stand because they are so. Damn. Loud.

I go home, list them for sale that day, sell them a few days later and buy Staintune high pipes which actually allow you to keep the passenger pegs on, hear yourself think, have removable baffles and learn that buying good quality, reasonable sounding pipes in the end makes everything more enjoyable for everyone. Lots of compliments on those with no added attention.

It took 3 or 4 days for my ears to stop ringing, BTW.
Good stuff miweber, I re-built a crashed M2 exhaust for my cbr600 from some leftover stainless spouting. (feed mill pipe) -worked pretty good!

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Honestly guys, a de-baffled Akra isn't that loud when at idle. It dosen't get loud until you really get into the revs... Even then, it sounds nice! -Check the original post - I pissed of a [email protected] who was on a cell whilst driving. -Maybe I should have brought up the revs. -FYI -those are the people who run into bikes 'cause they're busy with insta/face/tubes on their phones....

Last edited:
Top Bottom