Welcome back - please login below. New here? It's quick & easy to register!

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Canada Meet Up - Yonge & Wedgewood - August 18th. Discussion/Info here.

Local Ride - The Old Road - Sydney

Duncan

CBR
Mod
Odominator
Thread starter #1
"The Old Road" north of Sydney is a mecha for bike riders, noobs and dickheads of all sorts.
it's also a nice bit of road.
In a age passed, it used to be the Pacific Highway and then the Old Pacific Highway (which may well be it's real name, who knows?) with a speed limit in line with the rest of the national highway, 100km/h.
nows it's mostly 60km/h from it's start at the old toll plaza at Berowra to Calga. Which also makes it a magnet for Police looking to boost/maintain the states income and reduce the road toll.

the 3 sections of the old road, south, north and "north 2" (just my names, don't quote me) each is only about 10 to 15 minutes each so long or short laps are easy choices.
Old Road South.jpg
The south section is something of a warm up. A mostly flowing road with longer straights along the top of the ridge until you get to Pie in the Sky where is turns and heads down towards the river. Corners are open with fair visibility with 3 lanes (1 down 2 up). a couple of corners catch some people out, where you see a black line or 2 run straight into the shrubs and wall.

Old Road North.jpg
Possibly the most popular section of the road. a solid uphill section with nicely sign posted corners with not a lot in the way of surprises. except police. a few corners have good positioning for amateur photographers to loiter.
visibility is good and there are not a lot of blind corners for good entry apex and exit consistency.
If not for the drifters and cyclists the only thing left to kill you are your own mistakes.
From the underpass to Mount White and the Old Road Cafe is high speed and highly policed and it continues on up to Calga and the old interchange with Peats Ridge Rd.
Old Road North 2.jpg
The north part from Calga to the end near Old Sydney Town.
This bit always struck me as a bit more technical. a lot more blind corners, with one combo of an opening radius followed by a blind closing radius. Fear reactions are real and ever present at this stage. after the dipper over Mooney Mooney creek the road get faster and pops out of the bush into a wide open straight over the freeway.

I've had the pleasure of regular visits to the old road over the last couple decades and, except for the group meet ups or chatting at the stops the users are at time their own worst enemy, for attracting ever reducing speed limits and police action. The best runs I had was my regular trip in a Saturday afternoon to Gosford, timed to get me here at dusk so that the road was empty and I could just go with a comfortable flow, jumping onto the freeway if I got caught out by the setting sun.

It should be visited and ridden a couple of times as it's well worth the fun, but be aware of it's challenges.
and if it sounds like I'm down on the iconic road, it's not the road but how it's use has made it less enjoyable for all the wrong reasons.

Old Pac is no fun anymore. Not with the strict speed limit of 60 kmh these days.
My personal choice for a weekend dash around Sydney is Putty Rd, Wisemans Ferry Rd, Royal National Park (affectionately known as "Nasho") and Robertson Pass, just to name a few.

Duncan

CBR
Mod
Odominator
Thread starter #3
if you want to give a bit of a run down of each run, make a thread and we'll see what google maps can do for us.
I've done the Natio' (ethnic variant) and wisemans twice and the Putty once. I was thinking of Bells line of and maybe some others. theres a few roads in the snowies that could do with a mention.

I was thinking of Bells line of and maybe some others. theres a few roads in the snowies that could do with a mention.
Funny you should mention snowies - my son and i are going riding there this weekend with a bunch of almost 60 other riders from netrider.net.au. It will be fun. :) Hoping to get my new belly pan delivered in time for the trip.
Exciting times.
Done Bells 2 weeks ago on my way to Ambercrombie. Great road.