Local Ride - Somerset Dam

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
A section of a larger trip, this is the Kilcoy to Lake Wivenhoe leg. it's about an hour by itself.
The north end will see you come from Caboolture or doing other roads north of Brisbane.
The southern end connects to Mt Glorious and into the West of Brisbane or on south ound the lake and further to Ipswich.

Long open mid speed corners with most of the northern section at 100km/h.
it runs past the man made lake behind the Dam which attracts boating, camping and fishing enthusiasts. which may be a thing to watch for. some sections of road are patchy but I found it to be mostly alright for a secondary road.

After the innitial run through farmland from Kilcoy, it starts to get into the ripples in the mountains as the lake gets in towards the dam. with some nice departures from contour following road and classic gully "hairpins" the road will give the rider that is "cruising" plenty of visibility and flowing riding. If I wanted to push harder I'd like to see some coin put into resurfacing but the distance, traffic and the patches aren't actually braking up may not see that happen.
being out the back a bit, the police are known to do laps, on an unmarked Hayabusa no less.
The dam has a nice general store with snacks, seating, light meals and petrol.
Kilcoy to lake wivenhoe.jpg

Top Bottom