• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Lithium battery poll

Did you switch to a lithium battery?

• Total voters

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
After the comment from Brammers in the Exhaust Video thread about after-market exhausts being much lighter, I wondered how many have trimmed weight by switching to a lithium battery.

Have you switched to a lithium battery, and if so, how much weight did that trim?
Negative answers are also good, because it provides some measure of what percentage of riders are using lead-acid batteries vs. lithium batteries. Also, if you pondered switching, but didn't, a brief explanation would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I voted "no", but that's because I hadn't considered something like that. I guess there's a difference between a well thought out "no" and a hand't-thought-about-it "no" :)
Maybe put a 3rd option for that in your poll? Might be interesting to know if and why people actually decided against doing it.

Rocket Crotch

MotoGP
Oct 18, 2017
No, and do not plan to because while lithium batteries have a better power density, they're not as reliable as good old lead acid. Plus, pretty sure that the bike's charging system will not charge lithium batteries as you ride, so you would occasionally need to recharge the battery by plugging them into a wall outlet using a charger specific to these types of batteries, and not something like a battery tender.

All that hassle to save ~5 lbs probably not worth it for a bike you primarily ride on the street, but if you wanted to do it for track day then swap out the lead acid battery for the lithium...then again, in that case, why stop with the battery when you could get a small super capacitor bank that weighs even less than the lithium battery? The capacitor bank would provide enough juice several cold starts (and the super capacitor bank will recharge on the bikes charging system).

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
When I first purchased this bike weight was an issue only because my old bike was about 30kg lighter.So I did consider a lighter battery,but I'm with Haqzore I will make a decision when the old battery dies and that might be light years away.

Top Bottom