• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear Leather, Perforated Leather or Mesh Jackets? (not into textile)

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
I have an AGV Sport textile jacket 2xl size which is a generous fit that I have had years but it isn't waterproof anymore. I have tried another American made jacket but had to send it back because it was a slim fit design - can't understand why American jackets are 'slim fit' ,you would think if anything they would be on the generous side to suit the stereotype American :D
I have found buying jackets online are the trickiest thing humankind can experience!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
To the OP...a leather jacket on a hot and humid day...without sweating?!?!?! Come on! It's leather!!

Like most have posted, if you're worried about those hot and humid days then come ride in Florida in mid-summer! I still wear a textile jacket in the Florida summer. I have a Joe Rocket summer jacket that I love! It has a zip in/out rain liner that can be used as a windbreaker and keeps me warm on those "cooler" Florida days. I have a Bilt all-season jacket for the colder months and it works fine for the 60- temp days.

My point...if you're ONLY considering leather then be prepared to sweat. Then again, what Toronto's "warm weather" is differs than Florida's warm weather. So it comes down to personal preference, how your body reacts to the air temps and what you're willing to sacrifice for what you want.

I sweat in my summer jacket in the mid-summers...and it's a mesh jacket with 1,000,000 air holes throughout! So asking about what leather jacket won't make you sweat is going to depend on all those factors I mentioned above.

replicantz

CB650R ABS
Sep 24, 2019
Thanks for bringing up this topic! I am precisely in same situation 😄

Does anyone have any information about this one?

It's fairly new on stores so I could not find any user reviews so far...
Waiting to arrive to local stores in my country so I can test the fit and quality.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
replicantz @replicantz Spidi makes good apparel. Revzilla has video reviews on most items and you can at least get a feel for how the Spidi jacket is built and fits with their other models for some background. My additional two cents on the topic are: the jacket is one of the most important pieces of gear we own to protect us if we go down unexpectedly. Stick with a name brand that does motorcycling for a living, they will know the engineering requirements (strength of stitching, thickness of leather, where to put expanding fabric, location and quality of armor, etc). You don’t need to spend $500 to get a great jacket, but beware cheap imitators.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
I ended up buying ALPINSTAR Airflow Perforated Leather Jacket (SP1) for %30 off MSRP (CAD 399).
Having the best of both worlds, lots of air comes in (no liner nor CE level Back protector tho), super comfy, superb quality and good cuts with CE Level 2 armors. Good for 2 seasons and extendable to third if you wear a warm base/mid layer (NorthFace Polartech) underneath.
PS. That handsome face does not come with the jacket!

Alpinestars_SP1_Air_2048x2048.jpg
Alpinestars_SP1_Air_3_2048x2048back.jpg
Alpinestars_SP1_Air_2048x2048 side.jpg

Cheers
Sam

Last edited:

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
We don't have humidity here in the Okanagan B.C., but we do have very hot summers up to 40° C. I'm originally from Windsor Ontario so I know the humidity you speak of. My favorite hot weather jacket has been mesh textile.

There is a big difference between the mesh in jackets. Look for the very open mesh and quality material that will resist abrasion. Hold the jacket up to the light and you should be able to see through it almost as clearly as a window screen. I especially like the ones with no inner 'wicking' liner, or if it has one, that the mesh openings in it are also very large.

Had a break-in recently and among other valuable items my hot weather jacket was stolen, so I just ordered a Fieldsheer Moto Morph Convertible Mesh jacket from FortNine. Hope it is breezy enough. I like the inclusion of the quilted liner. Also, the rain overcoat that fits in the back pocket is a big plus. Brilliant design.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
After riding in all parts of Asia for over 15 years I find that mesh jackets are very good at 100f and down.

But when it gets stinking hot I put on my Revit leather mesh jacket on which lets a good amount of air

in the chest and keeps your arms and back from overheating by the very hot sun. Here's my weather chart

and remember I am still in winter.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Ever think of some UNDER armor? That way you can wear a regular, lightweight jacket of your preference but still have the protection underneath. Search online and there's plenty of brands and different prices. (Also pants and shorts!)

StrykerRigFront_750x750.jpg

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
FogDucker @fogducker great choice, you’ll get lots of comfy miles from that one.
Yeah, I assume it is a better pick comparing to the Scorpion mesh Jacket I had. It look neat and reliable
Ever think of some UNDER armor? That way you can wear a regular, lightweight jacket of your preference but still have the protection underneath. Search online and there's plenty of brands and different prices. (Also pants and shorts!)

StrykerRigFront_750x750.jpg
Yes. Did it once and It was awkward and uncomfortable. They also tend to slide around your body in crash. I do mountain biking sometimes and I do have an armour for that. They are not comfy. This model you also posted has failed in many tests and reviews. They are ridiculously expensive too!

Top Bottom