Leaky caliper banjo bolts - car

skeletor

CBR650F ABS
Dec 13, 2018
So, my VW Jetta had a transmission failure that didn't seem worth repairing so I decided I should probably buy something a little more sensible this time. Just like KITT - haha

IMG_20230912.jpg

But I've got these two leaky caliper banjo bolts on replacement calipers. They don't leak like you can see them shoot out fluid, but if I look the next day there's a dribble on the tires. I've used the copper washers on both sides of the fitting, any good suggestions? Should I try aluminum washers? Should I just crank them down harder? I'm just worried about stripping the threads.

Thought someone here may have fought this battle before. :arghh:

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
Not sure if you reused copper washers or used new ones, but if the former then they should have been annealed (just a thought).

skeletor

CBR650F ABS
Dec 13, 2018
I used new ones, but it looks like I'm going to start over and give them the torch treatment this time.

Ive

CBR650R ABS
May 13, 2020
USA
I usually stick with copper. As for over torquing , you're likely rip the head off before you strip the threads (happens a lot with some of the weaker aftermarket Goodridge-supplied banjo bolts), so you'll want to stick with spec tightening on those. Is it only leaking on one caliper, or multiple? If multiple, are they remans from the same source?
If they are "new" (fresh) remans, check the caliper's mating seat for pitting or burs.

kitt_led.gif

skeletor

CBR650F ABS
Dec 13, 2018
I usually stick with copper. As for over torquing , you're likely rip the head off before you strip the threads (happens a lot with some of the weaker aftermarket Goodridge-supplied banjo bolts), so you'll want to stick with spec tightening on those. Is it only leaking on one caliper, or multiple? If multiple, are they remans from the same source?
If they are "new" (fresh) remans, check the caliper's mating seat for pitting or burs.

View attachment 14338
It was two calipers. The surfaces looked ok, aside from the front having the little concentric rings but the back was just like the entire surface of the caliper with no rings(front-new, rear-think was reman). I hadn't gotten back to it but ordered an assortment of new washers. They came with some real chunky ones and I was told to use thin ones. In the meantime, I gave the car a quick wash and pushed on the brake pedal for a while. Checked it the next day and there wasn't any fluid on the caliper bolts or anything and reservoir still full. Possibly I'm just a slob bleeding them and fluid was slowly making its way off the parts. Will need to test drive when I'm not blocked into the driveway and not working :rolleyes:

enshiu

CB650F ABS
Mar 30, 2023
Riding Since
I use aluminium washers, never leaked on me once. Copper washers also never leaked but, I use thicker ones

Top Bottom