Welcome back - please login below. New here? It's quick & easy to register!

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

CB650F Installed a brake light modulator

Devilsfan

CB650F
Thread starter #1
I bought a 2-pack of these brake light modulators on Amazon. They're $10 for 2 of them! (The first one is on my Versys I just traded for the CB.) Anyway, they're cheap and work great. 5 rapid blinks, then 3 slower blinks then "ON".

I also bough one of those "Stoppers", which is a light bar that goes across the top of your license plate bracket adding an extra brake light. I scrapped that, for now, because the only way to run the wires without cutting/drilling into the plastic is to leave it exposed - which I ain't doing! (Ugly!)

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
Isn't that... dangerous? If I would see a vehicle in front of me with a brake light that's blinking in weird patterns, then I wouldn't be sure if the vehicle is actually breaking at all.

A patterned blinking light might catch the eye sooner, but because it's not the expected function of a breaklight, it doesn't immediately convey the message ("I'm braking!") all that clearly anymore. At least, that's my speculation. A modification like that would be illegal here, probably for similar reasons.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Thread starter #3
Isn't that... dangerous? If I would see a vehicle in front of me with a brake light that's blinking in weird patterns, then I wouldn't be sure if the vehicle is actually breaking at all.

A patterned blinking light might catch the eye sooner, but because it's not the expected function of a breaklight, it doesn't immediately convey the message ("I'm braking!") all that clearly anymore. At least, that's my speculation. A modification like that would be illegal here, probably for similar reasons.
Either I didn't word it correctly or you misread...it's a brake light modulator where, when the brake is applied, it will blink 5 QUICK flashes, then 3 slow flashes, then remain "ON" until you let go of the brake lever! In other words, it's a quick attention pattern then it goes to a normal brake light...just "ON". It won't continue to blink in any other pattern once it goes through the first pattern.

If I make any sense! :D

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
Yeah that's how I understood it. I don't know how long the initial flashing pattern takes to complete but if that's half a second, that may actually delay the response of the vehicle behind you for half a second (or more due to confusion) because the subconscious brain doesn't automatically process the flashing as "someone is braking".

Now I'm not a psychology/neural expert, so this is just some gut feeling I have, but it's a reason for me to not do something like this (well, besides it being illegal of course :))

Devilsfan

CB650F
Thread starter #5
Yeah that's how I understood it. I don't know how long the initial flashing pattern takes to complete but if that's half a second, that may actually delay the response of the vehicle behind you for half a second (or more due to confusion) because the subconscious brain doesn't automatically process the flashing as "someone is braking".

Now I'm not a psychology/neural expert, so this is just some gut feeling I have, but it's a reason for me to not do something like this (well, besides it being illegal of course :))

I think the quick flashing is designed to get the driver behind you attention, as if saying, "Hey, here I am! Now that you see me I'm going to stop now. Don't rear-end me!".
They also make the front headlight flashers. Now, I've never owned one of them but I've seen a ton of them on other motorcycles...meaning if I've seen them then they're definitely noticeable!!! These are the ones that pulse really fast and are daylight controlled. The darker it gets the LESS pulsing it does. If you've never seen these before, let me tell you, they WILL get your attention which is what it's designed to do.

What's mostly said after a cager takes out a motorcycle? "But I didn't even see them!".

miweber929

CBR650F
Mod
650F Alumnus
I honestly think the pulsating headlights and gashing taillights are just a gimmick. Yeah, I notice them, but I ride so I notice bikes, most people don’t and don’t notice the difference. If they really worked, they wouldn’t be illegal pretty much everywhere and would be standard on every motorcycle sold.

Just my opinion, if it’s something that makes a person feel safer I think great, but I agree that all the flashes, swirls, blinks and other stuff is taking away from it being a brake light.

Thing that I don’t get is usually the first thing riders do is remove the fender with an eliminator, then do a smoked, integrated taillight and remove the rear signals or replace them with the tiny only-bright-at-one-angle turn signals. Then they say rear end collisions are a huge issue and we should be able to lane split and filter to stop it.

I’m a big fan of (mostly) stock fenders, tail lights and signals. They may be ugly but they are trusty. I’ve replaced the rear signals on my Ducati with the DP LED units but they are bright as hell at all angles, I tested them before mounting and think they are an improvement to the stock units.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
Yeah wow no, that's actually even worse than I thought. The pattern takes longer than I thought.

Human response times are relatively slow. When a vehicle makes an emergency brake, you want the driver of the vehicle behind it to repsond to that immediately. When a brake light turns on that should work on a subconscious level for the rear driver and have him respond without even thinking about it. With this pattern, that subconscious response might not be triggered and instead you have the rear driver thinking "what the heck is tha-" followed by him rear ending the vehicle in front.

Additionally, how does it behave if you ride in a traffic jam (where filtering isn't an option). Often you'll continually be stopping and going, resulting in your brake light continually flashing.

Sorry to be so harsh, I don't mean to insult you or anything. I just hope that people installing something like this really think it through and don't go for an option that makes them feel safer but in reality increases the risk of what they're trying to prevent.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Thread starter #9
Yeah wow no, that's actually even worse than I thought. The pattern takes longer than I thought...

...Sorry to be so harsh, I don't mean to insult you or anything. I just hope that people installing something like this really think it through and don't go for an option that makes them feel safer but in reality increases the risk of what they're trying to prevent.

Hey, you aren't going to hurt my feelings so don't worry about "harsh" comments! ;) That's why we're on these forums - to get everyone's take/opinion on things!
With that said, you have a point about how the human brain works...and I get it. But I think that if you (a driver) can see something flashing...then you SEE IT!!! Which is the point of the modulator.
It's like lane splitting as you mentioned. They do it in California but if you tried that here in Florida...you'd get shot/a door opened on you/side-swiped, etc...! So I believe that drivers from other areas can be different in how they react to things. Certain places have certain types of drivers. The USA has 50 states and you get a different "feel" in every state, believe me!
In the end it's 6 to 1/2 dozen of the other! If you're going to get hit...you're going to get hit, no matter what lights are on there. So far (knock on wood) I have yet to get rear ended. Some close calls but I'm still upright!

***I'll share a quick story: A few years ago we were discussing those front headlight modulators. A rider said they should be illegal as she had epilepsy and anything blinking could trigger a seizure. I asked her why she was even driving then because there's enough blinking lights out there on the roadways? She became very irate with me and couldn't understand my point of view. :eek: